Author Topic: Daniel Taylor Edinburgh  (Read 3293 times)

Offline jessden

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Taylor Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 April 11 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Jo

The 1841 Census shows a William Taylor, a recruit in the Royal Artillery at Leith Fort.  His age was given as 20 -which in the 1841 census could be anything from 20 to 24.  He was born in Scotland but not in Midlothian.

If Daniel was baptised in the chapel at Leith Fort, I would expect that the baptism would have been in the records of St James Episcopal Church Leith.  The baptism records of this church are held in the National Archives of Scotland (per the online catalogue) but are not available online. Perhaps you might find someone on Rootschat who could look them up if you cannot go there yourself.

Regards

Jessie

Offline Lincslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 April 11 11:04 BST (UK) »
Many thanks. I wil try that.

Jo

Offline Lincslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 April 11 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Monical

Re your second message, I have been checking through my records to try and make sense of the 1851 census. When William and Mary married in Oct 1842, William was a bookseller. The fact that his POB and the ages and POB are correct for his wife and young Mary make me think that perhaps this is the correct family and that Thomas is in fact Daniel. Daniel did state that he was born Edinburgh when he enlisted in 1860 in Aberdeen. It also puts credence to the fact that William was in fact much older than stated when he married Mary. Though there is no age on the marriage declaration, later censuses and indeed his death cert have his age a bit younger. I just think its all too much of a coincidence.

Still no birth for Daniel/Thomas though even as a Gordon instead of a Taylor. Perhaps he was born before the marriage. Would he have been baptised in such a case?

Jo

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 April 11 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo

In the absense of any record for Daniel, it is hard to guess what may have happened. It may be as Jess mentions that records may be available at NAS. With the later births having Roman Catholic baptisms, it may be that Daniel's was also baptised in an RC church but records are not now available. As I undertand, SP have now completed the RC database of all available registers for baptisims.

What were the names of William Taylor and Mary Gordon's parents from their respective death certs?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lincslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 April 11 11:33 BST (UK) »
I have checked the RC baptisms for chilren to a William Taylor and Mary (No surname) and this is how I found all the children on the 1861 census (except William born 1849. I have not checked for his death yet, but assume he died as he is not on any of the censuses)

Neither have I traced Marys death yet but it is after 1871. Two of the things on my 'to do' list.

The marriage in 1842 gives Marys father as Barnet Gordon of Princes St Edinburgh. Williams death cert gives his parents as William Taylor and Janet Mcleod bith deceased.

Thanks for taking the time.

Jo

Offline VitalSpark1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 April 17 00:33 BST (UK) »
I've just signed up & finding my way around. Came across your post from some years ago. Nevertheless, just wanted to say that the Starbank Place family who the Taylors lodged with, were the family of my great great grandfather James Finlayson.
Doesnt help I know, but.....  :D I hope you were successful in finding Daniel!