Author Topic: WELLWYND CHURCHYARD, AIRDRIE  (Read 22377 times)

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WELLWYND CHURCHYARD, AIRDRIE
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 January 13 16:52 GMT (UK) »
pm sent to Lynsay.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline Lynsay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 September 13 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Has anyone had any luck with the Gold/Gartshore stone from Wellwynd? Lodger I know you were going to have a look when you came back in Jan

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 September 13 14:56 BST (UK) »
Lynsay, who were your Gartshores? Just wondering if they have any connection to the ones in my tree.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Lynsay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 September 13 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, my Gartshores were from Blairlinn and I can go as far back as 1630 to John Gartshore. They were all from New Monklands and i would love to discover a link to Alexander Gartshore of that ilk. Do these sound like your Gartshores?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 September 13 16:11 BST (UK) »
Yes, some of them. John Gartshore (c1690-1752) married Susanna or Ann Howie, who has to be related to my Howies of Meikle Drumgray. Their son Robert Gartshore married Mary Mochrie, whose mother was my 4th-great-grand-aunt Mary Waddell of Stanrigg, so I am related once and probably connected at least twice. I'm in touch with other Gartshore researchers, and have quite a lot of information about them.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Lynsay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 September 13 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am descended from John Gartshore and Susanna Howie's son John who married Janet Waddell. Is this the same Waddell family? I'd be grateful for any help that you could give. I've also looked into the family's connection with the Muirheads of Lauchope.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 September 13 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am descended from John Gartshore and Susanna Howie's son John who married Janet Waddell. Is this the same Waddell family?

I am not sure, because I don't know for certain who the parents of Janet Waddell were. She was allegedly born in 1739, but that could be a guess based on her age at marriage being 21. He first daughter was Mary and her second son was Robert, which hints that her parents might have been Robert and Mary, but they didn't stick closely to the tradition when they named their second daughter Anne instead of Susanna after John G's mother. Although Susanna Howie also seems to have been known as Anne, so maybe they did.

I have also seen a source that says Janet's parents were Alexander Waddell and Elizabeth Martin, but I have yet to see the evidence for that. John and Janet's fifth daughter was Elizabeth and their fourth son was Alexander.

I know nothing about Muirheads, I'm afraid.

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 September 13 17:09 BST (UK) »
This is the Gold & Gartshore stone. The inscription reads - "The property of James Gold and Janet Gartshore his wife and their children. Their son Andrew died 28th July 1840 aged 11 years".
There is an epitaph but I can't read it, sorry.
In the Accounts Book for Wellwynd Church it is recorded that "James Gold, collier Airdrie" purchased 1 lair on 21st February 1837.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline Lynsay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 September 13 18:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks. So sad Janet Gold nee Gartshore died in the poorhouse.