Author Topic: Goth street, West Derby Lancs? 1877  (Read 7647 times)

Offline njh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Goth street, West Derby Lancs? 1877
« on: Friday 22 April 05 09:38 BST (UK) »
HI everyone

My GG Grandparents came over from Ireland (not sure when - I also can't find their marriage).   Anyway they had their first child in Goth Street (Liverpool?) in 1877 before moving on to workington the following year.   

Does anyone know what Goth street was like - was it where many of the irish lived?

How can I find out if there is an electoral register for that year or the year before?

I am desperate to crack clues to find out when they came from ireland.

Catherine Hillen 1857 and William Traynor/Trainor 1855 are proving difficult....

Thanks, Nicola

Offline njh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Goth street, West Derby Lancs? 1877
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 October 05 17:20 GMT (UK) »
All,

I am still trying to find out who lived at 9 Goth Street, Liverpool, west derby lancs in 1877.   does know where I can find this info?

Cheers

Offline jacko-to

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 October 05 18:12 GMT (UK) »
You could try Central Library in Liverpool and ask then if they have the relevant directories.

http://www.familia.org.uk/services/england/liverpool.html

The do have a fee based research service.

There is also a site:

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/

However I don't think that the time scale you want for the Liverpool area is on there.

Regards

Angie
Rea - Ireland & Liverpool
Dawson- Cornwall & Liverpool
Hall - Preston & Liverpool
Delaney - Dublin & Liverpool
Morris/Jones/Parry/Prees - Llanberis
Cray - County Clare & Liverpool
Gillespie - Belfast & Liverpool
Brown/Little - Newry

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cedas

• RootsChat Member
  • my worst fear - I will turn into my 3 x gt grandma
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 October 05 19:20 GMT (UK) »
I have a reporduction of an 1850s map of Liverpool which shows some of West derby but not Goth street.  I bought it from Liverpool lIbrary and they do  have a wonderful collection of maps.  Definitely worth contacting them.
Davies: Flintshire & Liverpool<br />Williams: Anglesey & Liverpool<br />Hughes: Anglesey<br />Evans: N Wales<br />Street: Lancs & Cheshire<br />Skilling: Liverpool & Ulster<br />Gilfillan: Co Down<br />McNickle: Ulster, Derry<br />Dempsey: Co Derry<br />Bilsborrow: Liverpool<br />Potter: Liverpool
Also special interest in Edinburgh, Whiting and Goodger

Offline Ritchie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 September 06 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 I've just found this site today and registered.

I was born in Goth Street in 1947 and lived there until just before it was demolished in 1970. I can describe it for you if you wish?
Best regards
Brian

Offline njh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 September 06 15:18 BST (UK) »
Wow that would be great if you could?  My ancestors had their first child number 9 Goth Street.......

Thanks, Nicola

Offline Ritchie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 September 06 16:34 BST (UK) »
Well here goes, Goth Street off West Derby Road, one of 4 streets named after "peoples" IE Celt St, Goth St, Lombard St and Saxon Street.

We lived at no 45 last house on the left hand side walking up from West Derby Rd, so No 9 was the 5th house up.
The houses were as follows.... through the front door into long hall (we called it a lobby 2 doors on the right hand side and stairs straight ahead, 1st door was the "parlour" (only used on high days and holidays), 2nd door led into the "kitchen" used for everything,eating, sitting and getting washed in front of the big range. Leading off this room was another door leading into the back kitchen which consisted of a gas cooker, larder and a Belfast sink with one tap (cold water) this room you cooked in also housed the "coal hole" under the stairs and every couple of weeks (if you could afford it) the coalman emptied 2 bags of coal into it, result lots of coal dust. So much for hygiene!! Outside in the yard was the loo, oh such joy in the middle of winter!!

Back in the house and when you went upstairs, at the top of the stairs facing you was the smallest room (called the box room,) you then turned right and you were facing the back bedroom and then you faced back toward the front of the house to get to the front bedroom.
That basically was the houses in Goth street.

At the West Derby Rd end of the street there was a Pub on one corner and an old fashioned grocers shop on the other.
I hope you can make sense of all this, not very good on written descriptions I'm afraid.
Best regards
Brian

Offline njh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 September 06 16:46 BST (UK) »
Brian

Thank you so very much for this.   Were all of the houses terraced?

Rgds, Nicola

Offline Ritchie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 September 06 16:48 BST (UK) »
Sorry, meant to say that on the outside they were flat fronted houses, the front door led straight onto the pavement and the parlour window was flat fronted as well.
Regards
Brian

PS yes , they were all terraced also had 3 gas lamps in the street. We actually had electricity put into the house in 1962!!