Author Topic: Deering family 1890s/1900s  (Read 16561 times)

Offline Debs63

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Deering family 1890s/1900s
« on: Thursday 24 March 11 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I'm hoping someone may be able to help me find my grandfather's family who were all living (and as far as I know, were all born) in Dublin.  Despite extensive searches I can find no infomation as to what happened to the family after the 1911 census.  Irish genealogy sites produce no results, unfortunately. 

Here's the information I have:

James Deering (born approx 1868) and Julia Kavanagh (born approx 1874).

They had 7 children:

Julia (b.1889) - she is married on the 1911 census (surname Chapman) and has a son, James, b. approx 1911
James (b. 1893)
Nicholas (b. 1895) (my grandfather)
Christopher (Christy) (b. 1896)
William (b. 1899)
Annie (b. 1903)
John (b. 1905)

According to my grandfather's birth certificate they were living at 21 Chamber Street at the time of his birth.  The 1911 census shows them at James Terrace, South Dock .

The only other record I have been able to find is of the baptism of Christopher in 1896 when the family was living at 14 Harmony Row, Dublin.

Nicholas came to England either during or following WW1 and married my grandma in 1919.  His brother Christy was, I believe, in the merchant navy and served on the Atlantic convoys during WW2.
Julia may have moved to the North East of England but again, I can find no evidence of this.

If anyone has any information at all about the family (or if you're a long lost cousin!!)  I would love to hear from you.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Deering family 1890s/1900s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 March 11 15:25 GMT (UK) »
hi,,there is a record of a medal card on Ancestry

Nicholas Deering  Royal Irish Rifles 10263
Machine gun corps  17899

enlisted 12/11/1913  discharged 7/8/1918

entitled to the British,victory and Star medals.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 March 11 15:30 GMT (UK) »
It's more difficult to trace forward unless you have some specific clues to follow... and you are sure the family stayed in Ireland. Unfortunately none of the family seems to have particular trade or business connections at that time, which means they are unlikely to appear in trade or street directories.

Parish records past about 1900 are not usually included online, so the best place to try is the Civil BMD Index on FamilySearch. There are not that many Deering entries in Dublin city and county on the census (64 individuals) so ordering certs based purely on location (i.e. Dublin City) might not be that much of a gamble.

see :  Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Debs63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 March 11 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for such a speedy replies Gortonboy and Shane!

That's my grandad - drafted to France with the first expeditionary force and served at the battle of Mons.  He was also at the battles of Marne, the Aine, Neave Chapell and the Somme I believe.  Brave chap, you'd never have thought it to look at him!!

Forwards or backwards, Shane - seems to be brick walls at either end!! There appears to be no information whatsoever on the parents, and hardly any for my grandfather's siblings.  Ideally I'm trying to go back in time, but think I might have to go forwards to do that, if you see what I mean!

Many thanks to you both  :)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 March 11 15:39 GMT (UK) »
do you have marriage details for James and Julia ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Debs63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 March 11 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately I don't, Shane.  I'm guessing, based on the birth date of their oldest child, that it would have been sometime in the late 1880s.   

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 March 11 15:45 GMT (UK) »
The 1911 census states they are married about 29 years... so c1882, but according to the return neither James nor Julia can read or write.. so might not be accurate

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Debs63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 March 11 15:54 GMT (UK) »
That's true - neither of them were literate.  You could be correct in your calculation - it appears that Julia had produced 10 children in total, three of whom were no longer living at the time of the census, so Julia junior might be child "number 4" and the other three could have been born before her.

I'd have thought there'd be a record of their marriage somewhere - or perhaps I'm being a bit too optimistic!

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 March 11 16:01 GMT (UK) »
do you have the family in the 1901 census? i had a quick look ,,but cant see them?  ;)

EDIT,,,,Its ok,,they are Dearing in the 1901  ;D
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk