Author Topic: Help with Elizabeth WHEELER her father and ancestors  (Read 8492 times)

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with Elizabeth WHEELER her father and ancestors
« on: Friday 25 March 11 11:20 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the parents and family of Elizabeth Wheeler born in Wick in 1796. Elizabeth married Edward Ashwin in 1814 in South Littleton I have evidence to support the marriage.

Family story tells me that Elizabeth’s father was William but on much research I can find nothing to support this at all. I have found evidence of an Elizabeth Wheeler being born to a Richard Wheeler and Sarah Rimell at around the right time.

On Elizabeth’s marriage record there is a Rimell as witness so I feel I am on the right track with this Richard being her father. This Richard was born 2 April 1769 at Wick near Pershore to a Richard and Olive Stanton. I believe the latter Richard was born around 1740 and Olive around 1739.

Elizabeth later in life went to New Zealand with some of her children. Can anyone help in placing Elizabeth with all her correct family members please?  I would be most appreciative of any help. Thank you.
Gover (Chatham Kent) Ashwin (Worcestershire)Wheeler (Worcestershire) Copson (Warwickshire) Harvey (St Just Cornwall to 1850 - and then Australia) Peters (Mold Flintshire) Mundy (Hampshire)

Offline zepher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Elizabeth WHEELER her father and family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 March 11 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
The web site below may throw some light on the Rimels and Eliz Wheeler.  I am also trying to trace her husband Edward and his father - with some difficulty.  Eliz obituary states that Edward was from Cockhill House Gloucestershire which I am having difficulty finding and I believe was given to him by his father Thomas?

http://rimellgenealogy.blogspot.com/2006/03/ws-3-john-rimell-1733-1805.html

When you ask for more information in her family are you looking for that in NZ or her descendants?

regards

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Elizabeth WHEELER her father and ancestors
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 March 11 04:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello zepher

I am really excited at finding a kindred spirit searching for Edward Ashwin. I am having so much trouble placing him.

I tried to modify in my hurry and made a real mess.

See below.

Gover (Chatham Kent) Ashwin (Worcestershire)Wheeler (Worcestershire) Copson (Warwickshire) Harvey (St Just Cornwall to 1850 - and then Australia) Peters (Mold Flintshire) Mundy (Hampshire)

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 March 11 05:00 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I pressed the wrong button -but here it is again.

I am really excited at finding a kindred spirit searching for Edward Ashwin. I am having so much trouble placing him.

Thank you enormously for the link to the Rimells - there is heaps to decipher there. I will enjoy looking through it.

I am interested in Elizabeth's Obituary - is there more to tell about it? Elizabeth Ashwin nee Wheeler died in New Zealand - are we talking about the same person?  My family story tells me that Edward came from COOKHILL- and that his father was Thomas - is that the same do  you think?

Do you know who Edward's mother was?

Thanks heaps for all the information.

whiteKat

Offline zepher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 March 11 02:16 BST (UK) »
Hi, yes that is the right Elizabeth, you most probably have all this but, she came to NZ with her two daughters Helen and Mary Anne (Marion) son Martin Richard, his wife Emma Priscilla Copson and their children at the time, Theodore Craven, Martin Edward and Lily Fiddian and settled in Christchurch. Elizabeth Wheelers husband Edward Ashwin died around the age of 45 but I'm not sure where or the exact date and have presumed its at Cookhill. I have a copy of a letter that infers that Edwards father was Thomas Ashwin of Tower Hill, Bidford Stratford Upon Avon and had four sons and a daughter; Manley, Edward, William, Thomas and Caroline. Manley settled at Honeybourne, Edward at Cookhill, William to Willersley and Thomas remained at Tower Hill with his father and his fathers maiden sister.  It also states that Thomas senior married the daughter of John Manley esquire of Charlecote Manor and Honeyborne Farm estates. I have found a Thomas Ashwin marrying a Hester Manley 20 April 1719 at Church Honeybourne but the dates don't correlate to the Edward\Elizabeth Wheeler union.

regards

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 March 11 08:17 BST (UK) »
Hi zepher

This is most interesting! I have nearly the same information that you have identified - but the format of my information is really hard to decipher. It is not in letter form but someone has typewritten the details - trying to sort out each of the families which to me is a little hard to work out in regard to dates. I am wondering who Senior Thomas's maiden sister is? I think you have a little more information than I appear to have.

I was given the information from my cousin in New Zealand. I am a direct descendent of Martin Richard Ashwin and live in Australia. Do you know what year Elizabeth and daughters sailed for New Zealand?

In my research I have found a Thomas Ashwin born in 1801 and an Ann Ashwin born in 1795 having children named:

Manly Ashwin 1827
Thomas Ashwin 1830
Caroline Ashwin 1833
William Ashwin 1835
Stephen Godfrey 1837

...but no Edward. I am finding it hard to fit any of this family to earlier dates which would be right for the Edward who married Elizabeth in 1814 at South Litltleton. I think Edward  was born around 1790.

Martin Richard was the last child born to Edward and Elizabeth in 1831. I have found a burial for an Edward Ashwin in 1832 at Bidford the source citation is FamilySearch English Deaths and Burials from 1538 - 1991.Family story tells me he died from black jaundice - which nowadays is Wiel's Disease.  I feel this could be my Edward but have no verification.

The Thomas and Hester of marriage in 1719 are no doubt somehow related.

I am just so thrilled at finding someone else in search of Edward Ashwin. I felt I was sailing alone.

I am more than happy at any time to share my information on this family if I can help. Thank you again for all your help. I am really excited.

whiteKat

Offline zepher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 March 11 04:06 BST (UK) »
Hi
Snap I am also a direct descendant of Martin R Ashwin. His daughter Mabel (May) was my grandmother.

Sailed out on the Sebastopol
Sailed London 17th January 1863 - arrived Lyttelton 21st May 1863
Cabin Passengers            

Second Cabin            
Ashwin   Helen         
   Mary         
Ashwin   Sarah E. Wheeler         
Ashwin    Martin         
   Emma         
   Craven         
   Helen         
   Mary         
   Martin         
   Lilly   

I have a note that says Sarah Elizabeth Wheeler daughter of Eliz brother Richard, also came out with them and on this shipping list I think there is an error in the shipping list and it should be Ashwin Elizabeth and Wheeler Sarah E.

Subsequent children or M R A and Emma born in NZ were;
Esther, Jane, Edith, Charles, Manley, Leonard, James, Clara, Mabel, Jessie, Darcy and Cecil - Emma was around 45 when Cecil was born, some family. 
There is also a Sarah E Ashwin born 1862 and died the same year.   

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 March 11 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi zepher

Thanks again for your information on the Ashwins' emigration. I too was confused as I could not find Elizabeth on the Sebastopol with Martin and his family and sisters -  what you say makes sense.

I was aware that Elizabeth's niece Sarah Elizabeth went to New Zealand with the Ashwins but did not know who her father was - so it was Richard!  Thanks for that - it sorts one of my questions.

My Great Great Grandmother was Esther Alexandra Cunningham Ashwin who married Frederick Gover - son of the Reverend Robert Gover.

I am interested in the letter you mentioned naming Thomas and his family. Do you know who wrote the letter? I still cannot place Edward Ashwin with the Thomas and Ann of my knowledge as the dates don't fit.

Am I looking at the wrong Ashwins? Do your dates correlate with dates I have found for the children - as above? I could well be barking up the wrong tree - but the childrens' names are the same!

Any further information would be gratefully received. Again thanks for your information.

whiteKat