Author Topic: Doak, Rogers, Dunlop  (Read 32876 times)

Offline DelBoy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kiwi Born n' Bred
    • View Profile
Re: Doak, Rogers, Dunlop
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 21:14 BST (UK) »
And another, I realise these are not pictures, which was your main aim

Lizzie DOAK
Belfast School
Reg 345
Admission 10 Feb 1894
Parent Robert DOAK
Address, Belfast
DOB  01 Oct 1887

I might P.M the others to you if your wanting them?

Del
Saunders/Sanders,Owen,Owens,Darrach,Wilson, Cardon,Gurney,Edwards, Holmes,Smith, Ohlson,Homewood,Shaw,Semple,Merrill,Smithyman,McCallum,Winslade,Morton,Hill,Donahoe,Inglis, Moore, Morgan, Lawrence/Laurence, Owen, Owens, Skelton,Steele, Caldwell, Wood, Parish,Read,Donaldson, Hill,Farren,Carnley, Bradford, Dugard, Lindsell, Restall, Plus many many more surnames, varied countries

Offline DelBoy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kiwi Born n' Bred
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 21:19 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Ann DOAK
School Sacred Heart Timaru
Reg 245
Admission 24 Feb 1894
Parent  Samuel DOAK
Address Napier St
Birthdate 27 Jul 1888
Saunders/Sanders,Owen,Owens,Darrach,Wilson, Cardon,Gurney,Edwards, Holmes,Smith, Ohlson,Homewood,Shaw,Semple,Merrill,Smithyman,McCallum,Winslade,Morton,Hill,Donahoe,Inglis, Moore, Morgan, Lawrence/Laurence, Owen, Owens, Skelton,Steele, Caldwell, Wood, Parish,Read,Donaldson, Hill,Farren,Carnley, Bradford, Dugard, Lindsell, Restall, Plus many many more surnames, varied countries

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 22:44 BST (UK) »
I have a booklet on NZ Doaks called "Job Doak of Fernside" which lists early NZ Doaks.  It is said about 7 families are involved.  This information is from that booklet.

Possibly Samuel is the son of Job Doak and Ellen Joyce of Gilford, Co Down.  Samuel married Lucy Toner and Timaru is mentioned.  Elizabeth Ann was christened or born Mar 25, 1889. They would be related to Ballynagarrick Doaks.

William Doak was born in Ayr, Scotland, son of Robert and Margaret (Martin) Doak.  He was at Oamaru and had a son Robert b. 1868, William b 1869.  The were quarriers and only a few grandchildren are listed.  It sounds like the first family.

Robert Doak of Belfast NZ married Mary Glassie  of Tyrone, Ireland and had Elizabeth said to be born 1887.  A sister of Robert (christened Feb 12, 1860) is Elizabeth Doak christened June 7, 1852 who married James McLean of Ballybrittle, Ireland  in NZ.  They would be Ballynagarrick area Doaks of Alexander Doak's son William.   So that Belfast reference is to the lady in the photograph.

The author did not think James Doak b, 1830ish and Margaret b 1823 to John Doak and Mary Donaldson were related to the Ballynagarrick Doaks.  Apparently there are questions about that.  Christchurch is the area they lived in. 

Offline scarlett1063

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 14:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the response!

I've gone back and checked but I can't find any record of a Martha Doak marrying before she married my gt grandfather. The only other Martha Doak listed married a Joseph Rudduck in 1861. My Martha was born in 1866.

I found the record for Martha Maxwell marrying Samuel Doak on 27 Jan 1870 at Newmills Presbyterian Church in Tullylish and have found 2 children - Sarah Jane b 12 Nov 1870 and James Alexander b 26 Oct 1872.

Not sure who Abraham and Samuel are! Abraham was born in Lurgan 1894. Don't think Samuel is Samuel Edmund as Samuel E was born Jan-Mar 1881 which would make him 20 by the time the census was taken on 31st March. There is another Samuel Doak born in the same area between June and Sep of the same yaer. Ive ordered certificates for both - will let you know what I find out :)
McCutcheon Dublin, Tullylish

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 16:18 BST (UK) »
I agree with you with Martha was probably single.  However, this is what I have.

Doaks tend to be loose with the dates and actual relationships.  In NY is Samuel Edmund born July 13, 1882 who emigrated 1905.  He said M. McCutcheon of Ballynagarrick was his mother per Ellis Island.   He also says he is a coudin of Mary Fowler which probably makes him related to the Joyce/Doaks.  He leaves  brothers Joseph and William J. Doak in Ireland and had a sister Elizabeth b abt 1886 who emigrated and Sarah Jane who married a Boyce.  Sarah Jane's birth year varies in the Irish census  and the Maxwell Sarah Jane seems to have married Samuel Giffen.  No parents are listed in the obituary.

Abram or Abraham Doak has about the same birthdate as the one in your house.  He had son Stanley and probably Henry.  I am not finding much on them.

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 19:06 BST (UK) »
I left off brother Alexander.

The obituaries of Alexander and of Elizabeth both say that Joseph and Sarah were parents. Possibly Joseph living with the McCutcheons in 1911 is the father.  He says he was born in 1930 and might be the widower in 1901.  I don't see any record of a Joseph and Sarah being married.  However Joseph, Sr. who died in 1922 had son Joseph m. Sarah.  Son was an embroiderer.  No other children were mentioned.

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 21 April 11 21:01 BST (UK) »
It is too bad the will was not spelled out for Joseph, Sr.  Joseph (Sarah), one of the executors and undoubtedly a relative, must mean Joseph is the son of Sarah who had an illegitimate son in 1866.  The dates  and job matches.  So, parents Joseph and Sarah are still missing.

Both (Valentine and Priscilla) and (Joseph and Isabella) named what may be their first children Martha and Joseph, but they were often Episcopalian. Your Martha's first child is named Joseph.  Do you know her father's name or any siblings? 

Offline scarlett1063

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 07 May 11 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

Martha's parents were:

Joseph Doak b 1829 and Elizabeth Spence b 1828 married 1865

I haven't been able to find any siblings for Martha and I'm guessing that given their ages at the time of marrying it's possible it was a second marriage for at least one of them.

I have siblings for Joseph Doak: Mary b 1823, John b 1825 James b1833 John b 1835 and Rachel b 1845. I also have a possible Job and an Anne Jane.

I'm assuming my grandfather Joseph McCutcheon was named for Martha's  father

Offline scarlett1063

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 19:32 BST (UK) »

I now have a marriage certificate for Martha Doak. It reads:

Martha Doak (spinster) of Full age residing in Ballynagarrick, father Joseph Doak (weaver)

married

Thomas McCutcheon (batchelor) of Full age labourer residing in Ballydougan, father William McCutcheon (blacksmith)

3rd May 1900 Newmills Presbyterian Church

witnessed by Joseph and Minnie Doak.

Not sure if this Joseph is her father or another Joseph (there seem to be loads!) The only marriage I can find for 2 people of thisname is on the 1901 census but there ages would make it more likely to be Martha's brother.

Hope this is useful. Will let you know what else I find!