Author Topic: Doak, Rogers, Dunlop  (Read 32950 times)

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Doak, Rogers, Dunlop
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 21:12 BST (UK) »
That's great.  That Joseph and Mary were married at High Street Methodist in Lurgan in 1890.  The daughter is adopted.  They are listed next to Sarah and Elizabeth in 1901 census.

If Joseph and Sarah are your Martha's parents, then that Joseph is in the right age bracket for a brother.   Sarah b. 1850ish and Elizabeth b 1885  in Ballynagarrick  would be  Martha's mother and sister.  Sarah died in 1909 and Elizabeth joined family in Amsterdam, NY at that time.  She and brother Alexander both say they have parents Joseph and Sarah.  Samuel Edmund Doak does not mention his parents, but says brothers Joseph and William J. are still alive in Ireland in 1942.  Sister Sarah Jane d. 1959 was then  married to Samuel James Boyce and was in Ballydougan.  Her grandson was Edmund McIlwaine.  Did Martha died before 1942?

William J. could easily be William John who married Sarah Jane Doak in 1903.  Samuel George and William E. are their children.  Wm J was in the military and the births don't seem to be in the civil records. Perhaps that is be the case for Joseph and Sarah.  However, there is a page at the end of the yearly and quarterly civil  records for odd additions which may not have been transcribed on-line.  I can check on that. 

A friend will later search Newmills records, so I am gathering up Doak information to try to make it less confusing. 

Offline Suew4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 15 October 11 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, My great grandfather Samuel Doak came to NZ on the Clipper Ship, Crusader. I have his certificate? From this trip. My grandfather was Sam, sister of Lizzie, and my Father, Samuel Ivon Walter (now deceased) His only living sibling is Eric Roger Doak, a aged 85. I wonder whether the photograph sent from Belfast NZ is of Samuel, Mary and their children , Sam and Lizzie as I have a photograph of that group. I have only just managed to join up to this site- am not very computer literate, so am hoping this gets to the right person- was so excited to see their names here and to know that somewhere someone is collecting this data. My sister has the marriage certificate of Samuel Doak and Mary Glassey. Aunt Lizzie and Will Rogers did not have any children. Hope this is of some help.

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 16 October 11 05:28 BST (UK) »
Welcome Suew4
make a couple more replies to this thread, even just say "hello"
because once you have made 3 posts then you can contact people via the private messafe system the little icon is on the left side of a message
great way for passing on emails, private info

I'm sure the poster you want will check back in soon
Bye
althea

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 17 October 11 00:14 BST (UK) »
The picture has "Lizzie & Will Rogers  Mary & Robert Doak Nov 11, 1936" on the back side.  The other picture I recently noticed has nothing on the back side, but the people look similar.  I think Will is on the right and Lizzie is towards the left, but 5 additional people, 3 males and 2 females, are in the picture behind older Mary and Robert.  It sounds as if Ethel and 3 sons plus either a daughter or a son's wife might be the extra people. If I send the picture, would you be able to recognize people?

Robert was the immigrant, I thought, and he was the son of William Doak and Jane Hull.  Wm and Jane were married April 22, 1851 and had twins Elizabeth and William in 1852 who seem to have died.  Possibly a William John was born 1853-1854.  Alexander was born in 1854 and I have nothing on him.  William John born 1857 died young and another child born 1861 was given that name.  If he survived, he might have been a teacher.   Elizabeth was born 1862, married James McLean probably in NZ in 1886 and had 4 sons and 2 daughters. Anne Jane born 1864 married Boyd McCleary and had 10 children.  Dau Margaret's descendent is on Rootschat.  Sarah Doak b 1866 and James Alexander Doak b 1868, m. Jane Eliz. Wilson were said to have moved to Dromore.   Houston b 1871 became a P.P. engineer, whatever that is and may have run a bicycle shop at one time.

Wm was the son of Alexander Doak and Jane, a weaver. They also had sons Samuel (b. 1834,m. Martha Maxwell), Elizabeth (2nd wife of James Brown), Margaret N. (b 1833, m. James Doak), and James Doak (claims 1822 birth, m. Deborah Heaney in 1853)  Possibly there were other children.  An Alexander and Jane Doak had children Alexander in 1835, Mary Jane in 1847, and Alice in 1849 baptized at Tullylish COI, however it is not uncommon for several Doak couples to have the same given names.

Offline Suew4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 17 October 11 07:48 BST (UK) »
Yes, this is the same family. I expect that the 3 boys are the sons of Ethel and Sam - Robert, Eric and Ivon (Samuel) - my late Father. The girl will be my late Aunt Grace who was born  a few years before Ethel and Sam married, and not his daughter. Am unsure whether she was legally adopted by Sam or not, but went by the Doak name. Attempts by her children to obtain her birth certificate have been blocked for some reason, quite odd. They were a very close family. Sam, Mary, Aunt Lizzie, Will and my own Father, are all buried at Belfast Cemetery Christchurch Nz.

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 17 October 11 15:57 BST (UK) »
If these 2 pictures were mailed to Ann Jane (Doak) McCleary, do you have any of her family preferably with names on the back.  Boyd and dau Mary Ann visited Amsterdam, NY, so I can clearly identify them and Ms. Timbers thinks one picture might look like her memory of Margaret, but the rest of the family images are guesses. 

Son Wm lived with  my gt grandfather's family in NY, but I have only a single picture of him late in life and a newly found passport picture.

Also have a picture of 3 young clean shaven men maybe in their 20's?  (1880's?) taken in Banbridge.  I think they are Doaks, but one might be my McC gt grandfather before emigration. Also have a very old  picture of a widowed lady, probably not a McC, but have no idea whom.  Do you have any pictures from Ireland? 

Also a mystery is the "tragic death" of a son of Ann Jane.  Did you ever hear of that? 

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 05 December 11 15:49 GMT (UK) »
I have another photograph which has been examined over by a friend with wide experiences and a magnifying glass. He says this of a military  man in a "lemon squeezer" hat, a sign of a NZer.    The man is wearing medical corp  insignia.  Is this anyone you know? 

Offline bee dee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 23 December 11 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just read that you are researching information about your g- grandmother Martha Mc cutcheon. I find this very interesting as i too am researching into family history. I noticed that my husband,s grandfather John, George Doak a bootmaker lived at ballydugan during the 1901 census and at castle hill st when 1911 census form was taken, i think that the Joseph Doak who stayed with your Mc Cutheons is possibly my husbands g grandfather. I read earlier that Martha was a Doak and that Joseph is her father. I remember my father- in -law say one time something about a Mc Cutcheon family, unfortunately he is no longer living and all his brothers and sisters are passed on too. Do you know any of martha's brothers or sisters if any and who Rebecca Doak was married to, i think she was a widow in 1901 census at thompsons row.My husband and  i  as well as our children belong to Newmills Pres Church, his brother and his wife and family attend there also. Our surname is now Doak with an e on the end of it. If i can help you in anyway dont be afraid to ask, i have recently jotted down lists of names of Doak births, baptisms and marriages taken from the church register as well as taking down names of Doaks from gravestones in Newmills.

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 23 December 11 18:25 GMT (UK) »
I have not been able to find Rebecca's marriage at Newmills.  Mary Anne is registered as a Banbridge birth Jan-Mar 1892.  That should give parents.  The civil records list a Rebecca Doak marrying William Donaldson in 1862 at Gilford Presbyterian, but no Rebeccas marrying male Doaks. 

If Rebecca is not married then she may be from the line of David Doak and Rebecca b. before 1813.  Their dau Rebecca married James Wilson in 1852, so she is not involved.  Son Johnston moved to Canada where his dau Rebecca was married, so she is out.  Son David was married and in Canada, but disappears from the records.  His marriage is at Newmills, but son David was bapt. at Tullylish COI.  The COI listing I have stops at 1854, so I'm not sure if there were more kids.   I can't trace David and Rebecca's sons Alexander and Isaiah. 

1. Joseph Doak b. abt 1829 had a father David.  Is that the above David?  He married Mary Jane Williamson in 1850.  I can't follow them beyond that.   Did he have dau Rebecca?

2.  Joseph of Joseph Doak and Eliza  Spence of Ballydougan may be with the McCutcheons.   Nevertheless,  there is no record of Eliza Spence  having a dau Martha.

3.  Joseph, husband of Sarah, has died by 1901 and Samuel Edmund is with the McCutcheons, though Mom is alive.  Where was this couple earlier? Who are their children William J. and Joseph still in Ireland per obituaries?   Did the McCutcheons take in distantly related Doaks for pay?  Abraham married at the Gilford Presby Church in 1919, but who are his parents as he doesn't act like he is related to Joseph and Sarah.

Still working on Doaks, but Tullylish and Gilford churches may hold the clues.