Author Topic: Doak, Rogers, Dunlop  (Read 32952 times)

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Doak, Rogers, Dunlop
« Reply #9 on: Friday 25 March 11 23:18 GMT (UK) »
I have sent some messages to the tree holders to come and visit this thread..sadly a couple hadn't logged in recently so may not have current membership.

Anyway if you can get to your library sometime it will be worth looking at their trees

Goodluck
Althea

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 March 11 23:24 GMT (UK) »
The search works well.  Thanks for all the help. 

I think I know which person you refer to, but the e-mail has changed. 

Offline JoM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 March 11 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am one of the people who had a message via A$$
My interest is in the Glassey family on whom I have lots of info but you may have lots already or it may be too far out for you need.
The Doak info in this thread is interesting
Jo

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 March 11 14:16 GMT (UK) »
That's wonderful.  I have nothing on the Glassy family and would like to hear about them.   Admittedly, they are not a major interest of mine, but I like to  know about family backgrounds of spouses, where they were from and what they did. 

The pictures belonged to my gt grandfather's brother.  His wife was Ann Jane Doak, the sister of Robert Doak.  Almost no pictures were labeled and the labels usually lacked surnames. 

I will send a PM with my address and will send that picture and a few others when I get your address.  You may be able to tell if they were taken in NZ as they don't look like they were taken in Ireland.  If they are, they would probably be of Cairns, Wilsons, Doaks, or Rogers in the Canterbury/Christchurch area.  I'd really like to know if this is Mary Glassy and daughter Elizabeth even if you have to guess from general characteristics.

Offline scarlett1063

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

I also received a message via A$$!

I have only recently started researching this thread of my family tree so I don't have much information yet except what I've been able to get from various sites. My gt grandmother was Martha Doak and she married my gt grandfather Thomas McCutcheon in 1900 in Tullylish N Ireland.

I believe we are connectedvia her gt grandfather John Doak who was the brother of Alexander Doak, your William Doak's father.

I would be interested in sharing any info you may have - the family seem to have spread far and wide! My grandfather married in Dublin and my father came to England. We have only just realised we have a N Ireland connection at all!
McCutcheon Dublin, Tullylish

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 16:02 BST (UK) »
This is fascinating.  I've been searching for families who knew the Doaks as their church records are said to be too confusing to follow.  Is that John Doak who married Nancy Ann McDowell? 

Martha was a widow when she married Thomas.  Her previous husband was Joseph Doak, son of Joseph, I guessed, but I also have some confusion about Sarah, another possible wife.  After the second marriage, several of the children, Samuel Edward, Alexander, and Elizabeth emigrated to Amsterdam, NY.  It is not impossible for one photograph taken in NY to be Alexander's family.  I will try to find a picture on-line of Alexander and match faces.

I have several John Doaks in my tree including John who married Eleanor Joyce and also James H.  (father John)who married Jane Johnston.  It is possible one or more may be your John Doak.  If you post 2 more times, I can send you my e-mail address by P(ersonal) M(essage)

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 18:37 BST (UK) »
Am I off.  That Alexander is not involved.  His mother is Sarah, so please ignore that.  Samuel Edmund and Abraham, who I assumed were stepsons, have ages that look wrong for that.  They may just be staying at the home of your folks.   A Joseph Doak had just died, and I assumed this was their father. 

There is a Samuel Edmund Doak,  the son of Samuel and Martha (Maxwell) Doak listed as Edmund in 1901.  He emigrates to NY.  This Samuel E.  lists slightly different birthdates.   However, he lists a brother Alexander in NY who is apparently James Alexander Doak.   Doaks seem to have all the same names. 

Instead of that family, let me look for  Abraham who may be the man who married Jennie Balmer and went to Albany, NY.   Possibly there are parents named for him in an obituary. 

Any names and relationships of relatives you have would be gratefully received. 

Offline lucybella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 19:59 BST (UK) »
This is a long shot, but maybe worth a mention just in case..
I have been trying to trace a granduncle called Thomas Rodgers, born Belfast N Ireland 1898.  The last trace of him was in Hay NSW Australia, where he had joined the army and then disappeared.  He had been in the British army through WW1, and and also posted in India, according to records. 
His father was called William.  He was orphaned very young, then straight into the army, so had a tough life.  His brother, my grandfather, never did find out what happened to him, although they made whatever enquiries they could at the time.  He was in Hay NSW from May to September 1941.
Could this be your Thomas, or William Rogers.  I have photos of his brother, my grandfather, and could maybe discern a likeness if any photos exist.
A long shot I know....
Lucy
Rodgers/Rogers N Ireland and Australia
Myers  N Ireland
Rose Ann Daly N Ireland
McKissick  N Ireland and Scotland
Susanna Hall  Belfast N Ireland
Heaney and Dargan Co Down N Ireland
Rose Anne Savage Belfast 1904

Offline DelBoy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kiwi Born n' Bred
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 21:09 BST (UK) »
I was given a family photograph of "Robert and Mary, Thomas and Lizzie."

I would like to confirm this is a photo of Robert Doak and Mary Glassie and daughter Elizabeth Doak and husband Thomas Rogers.  Other photos may also be from these families.

Robert is the son of William Doak and Jane Hull of Ballynagarrick, Co Down, Ireland.  Robert probably  had a son Samuel James Hull Doak  b. abt 1893 who was in Poverty Bay at one point and who married Ethel Emily Dunlop.  Samuel J.H. died in 1924 and is buried in Christchurch.

Just spotted this record, do you think this is yours?

School Records
Robt DOAK
Oamaru South School
Reg' 32
Admission dated  16 May 1877
Parent Wm DOAK
Address is ' White Rocks'
DOB 28 May 1868
Last school was Grammer school for 2 years
Last day 28 Mar 1879

Cheers
Del
Saunders/Sanders,Owen,Owens,Darrach,Wilson, Cardon,Gurney,Edwards, Holmes,Smith, Ohlson,Homewood,Shaw,Semple,Merrill,Smithyman,McCallum,Winslade,Morton,Hill,Donahoe,Inglis, Moore, Morgan, Lawrence/Laurence, Owen, Owens, Skelton,Steele, Caldwell, Wood, Parish,Read,Donaldson, Hill,Farren,Carnley, Bradford, Dugard, Lindsell, Restall, Plus many many more surnames, varied countries