Author Topic: Family link or just big coincidence?  (Read 5555 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 'Girl with firewood'
    • View Profile
Re: Family link or just big coincidence?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 03 February 18 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Margaret Wilkie (from this family) has died by 1851 The family in 1851:

John Dickie 44 widower Farmer Of 12 Acres b. Slains, Aberdeenshire
Isabella Dickie 46 sister unmarried b. Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire
Isabella Dickie 15
Alexander Dickie 11

Address: Auchleuchries, Cruden

John Dickie 50 farmer
Isabella Dickie 52 sister
Elizabeth Wilken 55 sister (in law?) visitor merchant's wife b. Aberdeen
Isabella Dickie 35 daughter
Isabella Robertson 6 grandchild

Address: Auchleuchries, Cruden

No sign of an Alexander Dickie in 1861...

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline t1m

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 03 February 18 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Thanks for posting that. My initial feeling is that Dickie is a bit far from Davidson, especially when also Margaret's name goes from Wilkie to Wilken. However, iirc, there were suprisingly few Wilkie families in Aberdeenshire at the time, and I wondered if perhaps she was a Wilken. Again, possibly clutching at straws (and I may also be mis-remembering --- it really has been a while since I looked at my thankfully detailed notes!).

Also, I would be extremely surprised not to find a James Davidson. I would also expect to find a Thomas Davidson, and possibly a George Davidson too. But Alex and Ann named their third child James, and their fourth William Lumgair Davidson --- the fourth I know for certain was named after a family member of Ann's, so I would expect to find James as a family member of Alex's. (The first and second children were also named after identified family members.)

Alex being the son of the elusive John Davidson and Margaret Wilkie, and Ann (Sturrock) being his wife.

Thanks for the suggestion though, and taking the time to post it.

Tim

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline t1m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 03 February 18 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Also, I will add that I do want to spend a little time (in addition to the avenues I posted previously) learning about Cruden and the people there of the time. I want to confirm the size of the population, and whether or not many were transient (perhaps Alex was born "in transit", so his birth certificate may be registered in a place other than where he was born).

Offline t1m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 03 February 18 19:29 GMT (UK) »
I think I did, Malky. I would have to log back into Scotland's People and go through all the certificates I looked at. But I did look at a lot of Davidson certificates. Also, Alex's (and Ann's) only daughter was named Margaret, and like a lot of people of the time they certainly named their children after a naming pattern. And of course Margaret was named on Alex's marriage certificate (1869, mother deceased, father a farm servant).

Offline t1m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 03 February 18 19:41 GMT (UK) »
I will also add that I did purchase the death certificates for every John Davidson in Aberdeenshire that died after 23rd April 1869 (when he was still alive, according to his son's marriage certificate) until whatever date I decided he couldn't have expected to live after. That was back in 2011 (ish) and none contained Margaret Wilkie as a deceased wife. Perhaps he remarried and his first wife was just ommitted (don't know how likely that was). But it again suggested to me that the family was quite transient (and iirc this would have been usual for farm servants), so the certificates could be anywhere.

Of course, perhaps the certificates just didn't survive.

I will update this thread when I pick up the search again.  :)