Author Topic: General census lookup please Lawrence Shell/Mary (wife)  (Read 2294 times)

Offline jomiskelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: General census lookup please Lawrence Shell/Mary (wife)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 August 17 06:02 BST (UK) »
In relation to Lawrence and Mary (Perriman) SHELL, I have been unable to find a baptism for Lawrence including having looked at name variations like SHAIL, SHAILE, SHILL etc. 

My problem is as follows.  Mary's illegimate daughter Mercy Perriman noted her father as Henry PERRIMAN when she married the first time to Thomas GAY.  (I have not be able to find a Henry PERRIMAN and suspect it may ahve been a name to put on the certificate and nothing else.  When Mercy married a second time, she noted her father to be John SHELL a labourer. Again I have not been able to find at all. Her mother Mary married Lawrence SHELL after Mary's birth and they had several children.  They only record I can find for Mary's daeth is one Mary SHELL who died in 1878 in Yate Union Workhouse.  Stated as the widow of John SHELL.

I am trying to clarify whether all these Marys are the same person.  I have tracked her in all appropriate census returns but does anyone have any record of John SHELL or Henry PERRIMAN or possibly tell me how I might gain access to Yate Union Workhouse records to see if they might enlighten me.  I am in NZ so my research is online or by post.  I would also be interested in any record of Lawrence other than his marriage record with Mary PERRIMAN or census returns as I have these.

I hope I have been sufficiently explicit, thorough and coherent here
Gloucestershire - Clark(e), Cooper, Day, Gay, Hacker, Hale, King, Lines, Perriman, Summers,
Llandudno - Hughes, Jones, Owens, Williams
Northamptonshire - Collis, Elliott
Sussex -  Burgess, Colvin, Goldsmith, Midmore, Weham
Wiltshire - Fry, Hillier, Perkins, Wheeler

Offline jomiskelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: General census lookup please Lawrence Shell/Mary (wife)
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 04:15 BST (UK) »
PS  I should also say that I have the burial record for Lawrence but not death certificate
Gloucestershire - Clark(e), Cooper, Day, Gay, Hacker, Hale, King, Lines, Perriman, Summers,
Llandudno - Hughes, Jones, Owens, Williams
Northamptonshire - Collis, Elliott
Sussex -  Burgess, Colvin, Goldsmith, Midmore, Weham
Wiltshire - Fry, Hillier, Perkins, Wheeler