Author Topic: Kergon/Kegon family of Halifax, Hudderfield Yorkshire  (Read 3451 times)

Offline Rap

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kergon/Kegon family of Halifax, Hudderfield Yorkshire
« on: Saturday 26 March 11 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks,
  I'm looking for a few dates for the Kergon/Kegon family of West Riding. My key interest is Henry Kergon b1854 Huddersfield, and his father seems to be Benjamin Kergon b1825 Huddersfield (but can't find a birth for him...census entry only 1851, married lodger).  Henry Kergon 1854 seems to have married Elizabeth Boothroyd in 1875, but I can find only a birth for that name at Almondbury in 1857, and her parentage seems to be a mixed family of Schofield, Boothroyd and Ramsden.
  I think that I have found a marriage for Benjamin 1825 in 1848 to an Eliza/Elizabeth at Huddersfield...any idea of her maiden name to be found anywhere? and children?.  Eliza/Elizabeth can then be found as married to John Hellawell in the 1871 Cen and is listed as being born at Stainland...so Ben 1825 decseased before then.  I can also find another Benjamin Kergon 1795 born at Halifax who could possibly be Benjamin 1825's father?  All of the bdm's I can find for these people don't seem to list the name of wives for marriages, and no mention of parents/maiden names of mothers on births...is this just the way the bdm's are for West Riding? I don't seem to be getting anywhere putting this all together!

Any help would be just wonderful.
Rap
Australia

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kergon/Kegon family of Halifax, Hudderfield Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 March 11 00:33 GMT (UK) »
what is the ref for these bmd entries?

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 March 11 00:36 GMT (UK) »
I think that I have found a marriage for Benjamin 1825 in 1848 to an Eliza/Elizabeth at Huddersfield...any idea of her maiden name to be found anywhere?

If you found the entry on freebmd - click on the page number to see all entries on the same page

EDIT - it's 1846 not 1848
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 March 11 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Possible from the IGI - extracted entry

BENJN. KERGON   Christening:  13 JUN 1824   Halifax, Yorkshire   Father:  BENJN. KERGON    Mother:  HANH. 

Submitted record

BENJAMIN KERGON    Spouse:  HANNAH BAIRSTOW   Marriage:  28 JAN 1821   Halifax, Yorkshire 
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 March 11 00:43 GMT (UK) »
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 March 11 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pauline - see my edit above - marriage was 1846 not 1848

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 March 11 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Rap, I think you might be jumping ahead of yourself a bit. You'll need to back your theories up with a few certificates.

If you know Henry is definitely yours, and you think he married Elizabeth, then you'd probably be wise to purchase Henry's marriage certificate to make sure of this. You'll then get both father's names and occupations so you can trace them further back through the censuses.

Any submitted records from the IGI will need to be confirmed.

Offline Rap

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 March 11 04:27 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks folks for your help and advice....looking at this for elderly family friends, so will see if they want to get certificates on these people in order to confirm we have the right lines and go from there.  Thanks so much people for all of your help.  Best wishes.  Rap.

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 March 11 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rap

As others have said, a marriage certificate for Henry, proving whether or not Henry's father is Benjamin, is essential, as it's no use building a whole dynasty on suspicions!
Having said that, I think your suspicions look good. You are fortunate that the name KERGAN is rare in the West Riding- I suspect it is parish clerks' attempts to make sense of an unfamiliar name being said by people who were illiterate and therefore not able to offer any guidance on spelling. I would keep the Irish names KEEGAN and GEOGHEGAN (pronounced more or less Gaygan) in mind when searching.
In case it should be useful in future, when you have definitely established Henry's parentage:
The IGI marriage at Halifax St John's between Benjamin KERGON and Hannah BAIRSTOW is correct. Both are of the parish, and Benjamin is described as a cloth dresser.
The IGI christening 13th June 1824 for Benjamin KERGON, son of Benjamin and Hannah is correct. Father Benjamin is described as a fustian cutter of Halifax, but that fits OK as a fustian cutter is a kind of cloth dresser. Benjamin junior was born on March 24th.
Benjamin is the couple's second child, the first being Margaret who was born Nov 8th 1821, christened 3rd February 1822. I don't have the records for the possible IGI christening of Benjamin senior at Square Chapel 31st March 1793, son of Patrick and Margaret, but can confirm the marriage of Patrick KERGAN, gardener of Halifax and Margaret Sutcliffe, widow on 19th May 1783. Neither bride nor groom was able to sign the register.
Regards,
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram