Author Topic: Gellatly family, Perth  (Read 7395 times)

Offline MichaelLyke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gellatly family, Perth
« on: Saturday 26 March 11 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Can anybody provide any information of my ancestors?

Grandfather was Frederick James Gellatly, born c1889, died 1948. He married 14th Oct 1921 in the Tibbermore area/parish to Janette Black (b1900). They lived in Tulloch Terrace, Perth. He was a dyers cleaner working in Pullars of Perth.

Fredericks' siblings were George, Catherine, Lilias, Margaret, Christina, Jemima & William. William got married and had at least 2 children, we think.

Their father was James and mother was Margaret (Burden).

Many years ago my mother mentioned something about my great grandfather Gellatly being a whaler sailing from Dundee and Gellatly Street in Dundee was named after him. I do doubt the facts behind the street name though.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Gellatly family, Perth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 March 11 13:25 GMT (UK) »
james gellatly and margaret burden marriage 26th nov. 1869 perth perth(IGI)

3 children showing to parents with those names(all born perth perth)
catherine b. 1870
walter davidson b. 1872
william burden b. 1874
the IGI only goes up to 1875

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline MichaelLyke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 March 11 17:47 GMT (UK) »
ev, thank you VERY much. This is such a big help!

Offline ails81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 16:20 BST (UK) »
Dont know how much of this you have already found but this is what I have found after a quick look:

have you already found them in the censuses? 

This could be James and Margaret with their bew baby Catherine in the 1871 census living at 64 South Street, Perth
James aged 29, born St Andrews Fife, occupation Mariner RNR (which I think is Royal Naval Reserve)
Margaret aged 24 born Dull, Perthshire
Catherine aged 6 months, born Perth

So this matches somewhat with him having a naval background of some sort although from the next censuses it looks like he changed occupation somewhat!

I think this is them in the 1881 census:
Living at 137 High Street, Perth St Pauls, Perth
James aged 39 born St Andrews, Fife Dyer Silk Cleaner
Margaret aged 34 born Aberfeldy
Catherine aged 10 born Perth
Walter aged 8 born Perth
William aged 6 born Perth
Lillias aged 4 born Perth
Margaret aged 1 born Perth

In the 1891 census they appear again as you say living at 11 Tulloch Terrace, Perth, the family are the same except there is now:
Jemima aged 9, George D aged 6, Christina M aged 4 and Frederick J aged 2.
Also at this point Walter D is listed as a chemists assistant, is this something he went on to as a career?

In the 1901 census they are living at Hillyland?, in Tibbermore, Perth and the children remaining at home are Catherine, Maggie, Jemima, George, Christina and Frederick. Jemima is working as a dyers fincher, so it looks like Frederick may also have followed in the family footsteps!

In the 1901 census there is a Lily Gellatly born Perth living in London - could this be Fredericks sister?

In terms of deaths looking at SP it looks like:
James Gellatly died in 1920 in Methven, Perth aged 79
Margaret (Burden) died in 1912 in Perth, aged 66
Walter D died in 1929 in Paisley aged 56

There is a death of a Jemima Gellatly (other name Shepherd) dying in 1910 aged 28 in Newburgh, Fife that could be your Jemima.

If you download the marriage certificate of James Gellatly and Margaret Burden from SP you can get both of their parents names if you dont know them already and find out what the fathers jobs were as well.

Hope some of that is helpful!
Aileen
McIntyre and MacInnes, Argyll (mostly Glencoe, Ballachulish, Oban)
McGillivray, Robertson - Sleat, Skye
Sandilands, McNaughton - Abernethy, Perthshire
McCartney - Glasgow, Northern Ireland
Rafferty - Northern Ireland
Doig - Fife

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 07:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

Tulloch terrace today is part of the area of Perth known as Hillyland (or it was when I was a youngster) tulloch area was built to house the workers a Pullars Dye works at Tulloch.
If you go into google maps and at the eastern end of Tulloch terrace between the houses and the railway wagons you can see the town lade, this was the water course that fed the dye works, just where the bend in the lade is opposite the railway wagons is the site of the old tulloch bleachworks.

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline MichaelLyke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 17:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you from my heart to you all for providing all the invaluable detail. Much research to do now! Thanks!

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael

the link below will give you a better map.

http://www.scottish-places.info/towns/townmap9202.html

Zoom in find tulloch terrace then at the top right click on the historical tab.

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline MichaelLyke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 21:51 BST (UK) »
Well I have done some research this last week and starting to wonder if I should have started!

I managed to get a copy of James Gellatly & Margaret Burdens marriage certificate. It says they were married 26/11/1869 in the General Prison, Perth!!! Any ideas how I can find out why - I am sure it wasn't for the scenery!

It also mentions the usual place of residence as Exchange Street, Dundee but this may be for his parents on the certificate?
James' parents shown as John Gellatly (mason) and Lily Gellatly (maiden name Kirk) both deceased at the time of James' marriage.

I cannot find any background on James b.C1841/1842 according to later census records. On the marriage certificate it does say he was a 'seaman'.
I also cannot find anything on his father John, although I found Lily Kirk b.1800 St Andrews, Fife. I also cannot find anything of their marriage.

Would appreciate any help at all to try and break down these walls...

Thanks!

Offline ails81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 April 11 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi again Michael
Interesting find re: the marriage!
I had a look on the NAS catalogue to see if there was a record of James Gellatly or Margaret Burden in any criminal records etc but no matches I could find (although I do find the NAS catalogue a right pain to search!)

Presumably they married at the prison because one of them was in there, even if he worked there it would be an odd choice to get married there!!

However I think I have found James Gellatly and his mother Lily Kirk on the 1851 census living at South Street, St Andrews, Fife.  It states James is 11 and born in Arbroath and he is with his mother Lilly Kirk aged 52 born in St Andrews Fife listed as a pauper.  So Lilly was born around 1799 which matches with what you have found.

Cant find Lily in the 1861 census so perhaps she had died by then but I cant find a death cert for her which suggests maybe she died between 1851 and 1855 before registration was compulsory and if she was a pauper its unlikley her death would have been registered.  Strangely cant find James in the 1861 census either.  And cant find Lily or her husband John in the 1841 census which is also odd.

I cant find Lily and Johns marriage either so its likely they just didnt register it again as it was before it was compulsory.

sorry not been much help!
aileen
McIntyre and MacInnes, Argyll (mostly Glencoe, Ballachulish, Oban)
McGillivray, Robertson - Sleat, Skye
Sandilands, McNaughton - Abernethy, Perthshire
McCartney - Glasgow, Northern Ireland
Rafferty - Northern Ireland
Doig - Fife