Author Topic: Hughes Family of Clones, Fermanagh  (Read 6098 times)

Offline Alan5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hughes Family of Clones, Fermanagh
« on: Sunday 27 March 11 08:22 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information about the Hughes family of Clones in County Fermanagh, Ireland. 

Three daughters of Arthur Hughes (possibly a carpenter) and Margaret Murphy sailed to New South Wales, Australia aboard the "Lady Kennaway" in 1841.  The daughters Mary, Margaret and Ann were born c1820 and in NSW they married William Cheeseman, Charles McDonald and Thomas Tapp respectively.

I would greatly appreciate information relating to the family in Ireland and also welcome a reply from anyone with an interest in any of the three daughters.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hughes Family of Clones, Fermanagh
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 March 11 09:28 BST (UK) »
Clones is actually in Co. Monaghan- does 'Clones, Co.Fermanagh' come from an old record? It's possible the family lived in Fermanagh but Clones was the nearest town.

To find Irish ancestors for such an early period you need to see if church records exist.
Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Alan5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 March 11 10:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the  correction.  I knew Clones was close to the border however the shipping records and a death certificate stated Fermanagh. Thanks also for the advice re Irish records.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 March 11 12:31 BST (UK) »
Its the parish of Clones, County Fermanagh
http://www.failteromhat.com (you might have to type his yourselve)

Offline Alan5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 March 11 14:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rathmore.  I have managed to open the link and have a quick look and will give it a more thorough check.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 April 11 11:28 BST (UK) »
http://Http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal (you might have to type this yourselve)
then click on ship's passenger list, then digital copies of the bounty immigrants list 1838-96, then go down the list to 1841 Lady Kennaway click on this , then click on page 7, Mary Hughes 25 Farm Servant, Margaret Hughes 22 Farm Servant, Ann Hughes 20 Dairymaid
Lady Kennaway 1841 arrived 18.10.1841
l

Offline Alan5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 April 11 11:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for your help Rathmore - much appreciated.  I have seen the shipping records before and am reasonably familiar with the girls' life after leaving Ireland. 

Mary was seriously injured in Sydney when her own horse cart ran over her head at the almost identical location to where her husband had been killed in an identical accident just six months beforehand via the courtesy of the same horse.  She also lost two young children in separate tragic accidents ie drowning and house fire.

Given her difficult life I would like to find out more about their family back in Ireland. Sadly I know little of her parents except that in my initial post and I know that Irish records are sparse and can be hard to come by.

Any thoughts on how to find their parents' marriage or the birth of siblings (probably in Clones) would be great.  I am checking out the first site you recommended but it seems more associated with Cork.

Thanks again.

Offline elaine gray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, just read these old posts, I'm looking for and Arthur Hughes (for ages!) dates and Ireland fit. Did you ever get more information on him? Cheers

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Religion?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.