Author Topic: Mariners' records at the National Archives (Kew)  (Read 17280 times)

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
  • gg-grandfather, founder of Comfort, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Mariners' records at the National Archives (Kew)
« Reply #18 on: Monday 30 May 11 22:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply, Roobarb.  I did post in the common room and learned that his death was registered in Limerick, but I still have no reference as to the particulars of the accident that killed him.
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 30 May 11 22:31 BST (UK) »
Perhaps it would have been reported in a newspaper of the time? Not my area of expertise so I can't direct you to an appropriate one but I'm sure some Rootschatter will!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 20:39 BST (UK) »
Just had a thought TropiConsul - there's a mailing list for Mariners on Rootsweb

http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/index/other/Occupations/Mariners.html

The people on there seem to be vdery knowledgeable, perhaps they will be able to help you  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 23:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, Roobarb.  I will give that a try, although I have to say that for help with my Scottish ancestors the folks who participate in RootsChat.com have been more responsive and more knowlegeable than correspondents in RootsWeb and other forums I have tried.
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 02 June 11 02:34 BST (UK) »
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ixr6G2fl8B8J:www.mariners-l.co.uk/UKDeathsAtSea.html+uk+maritime+accident+reports+1875&cd=13&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com

The link above explains how to find the records of the General Register Office's Marine Registers at LDS libraries.  I will try doing it that way.

Offline NavanScot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 06:29 BST (UK) »
hi Folks
            Sorry for hijacking this thread but I have been fruilessly searching for information related to my Ggrandfather Thomas Mahoney. He was a merchant seaman and on his marriage cerificate in 1881 he was a stoker. He married Rose Wilson in Port Glasgowin 1881 and died somewhere between 1890 and 1901 as his wife Rose is listed as a widow in 1901 census. I have had no luck tracing his death cert, and can only assume he died at sea. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 08:26 BST (UK) »
Where have you looked for him already? Have you tried the deaths at sea records? If he died at sea on a British boat, his death would/should be registered there. I think I'm right in saying they're available on Scotland's people and FindMyPast (I'm sure someone will correct me!).

You should also make this a separate thread, you may get more replies that way.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 19:31 BST (UK) »
If he was a merchant Seaman his title would have been Fireman. Stoker is a Royal Navy rank. No doubt the registrar was not familiar with the protocol and I can find no Thomas Mahoney from Glasgow in the RN service records. Do you know when and where he was born. It may be he served in the RN at sometime.
There was only one man who came up in the on line records I have access to, T Mahony died at sea 1886 aged 34, page 156. ship (not boat) MARATHON official number 28220.
MARATHON was owned by Cunard but more importantly she was registered in Glasgow.
If the age adds up, I suggest you apply to GRO for a copy of the records they have and then maybe take a look at her crew agreements for 1886
which are in
http://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/searchcombinedcrews.php
Deaths would have been recorded in the ships logbook but this seems to have been destroyed, but he would be on the crew list.

If all the above draws a blank, then  you would need to look at the deaths at sea records held in the British archive.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/births-marriages-deaths-sea.htm

Be aware that it was not uncommon for men to jump ship and dessert their families or to tell lies about their age.

I would agree with the separate thread.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline NavanScot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 07 July 11 09:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Seaweed
                Thanks very much for help. Are you sure of the year as 1886 seems a bit early for his passing if it is the same Thomas Mahoney. I did find another Thomas Mahoney in my search who was from Abersychan in Wales in my search . He was also as stoker but the parents names dont match my grandfather John Mahoney was born approx 1890 , so you see the reason for my confusion.....