Author Topic: Mariners' records at the National Archives (Kew)  (Read 17282 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Mariners' records at the National Archives (Kew)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 20:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you again seaweed, I've checked on my council's website and I can actually access the newspapers online by entering my library card number!

;D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline amazon510

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 April 11 03:35 BST (UK) »
I thought it was odd that James should be aboard a ship that sailed to the West Indies after deep sea fishing off Newfoundland but he said it was quite possible as James would be around 60 at the time and may have taken any work he could get.

This was actually a pretty routine voyage back in the day - they'd go catch or buy fish in Newfoundland, then sell it in the Caribbean or Brazil.  Then it would be back to Newfoundland or the UK with a cargo of sugar or molasses, or other products from the West Indies.

http://www.heritage.nf.ca/society/fish_trade.html

Jennifer.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 April 11 19:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you jennifer, that's very interesting and a great benefit to my research. Thank you for the link too, it's good to read some background info  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline amazon510

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 April 11 02:27 BST (UK) »
Glad to be of help!

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 April 11 22:49 BST (UK) »
Hi folks, I went to TNA this week so thought I'd update you.

I was able to look at the crew lists and ship's log for the Shannon, which also gave details of the effects of the deceased James Bell. Unfortunately this did not seem to bet the person I was looking for, it was a passenger aboard the ship, not crew. There was a list of his effects which included 4 crimson shirts, 8 pairs of stockings, 2 waistcoats and 2 capes. It was quite fascinating looking at the original documents nevertheless.

In BT114 I found a James Bell born in Exeter and thought this was probably my man. His ticket number was 557724 but unfortunately the records in BT113 only went as far as the 46 numbers. The licence number of the ship was shown in BT116 but it had been reregistered in 1878 and I couldn't find its original port of registry. The voyage details were illegible on the microfilm and I couldn't read them on a printout so was given permission to look at the original documents but it turned out they were stored offsite and would take three days to arrive so I wasn't able to look at them after all.

I then ran out of time so didn't get to look at BT153-155. It was very disappointing to have so little luck in finding James, he seems determined to remain elusive! I did enjoy my trip though, and TNA is a fascinating place.  :)

Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 April 11 07:42 BST (UK) »
I then ran out of time so didn't get to look at BT153-155

Frustrating isn't it? Sorry you didn't have much luck. But don't give up, he's out there - somewhere!

Best wishes
Ann

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 April 11 10:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ann, I won't give up, I'm still on my mission! I'd like to visit TNA again but I think I may pay another visit to the Devon Record Office next and see if I can find anything else there about his life.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
  • gg-grandfather, founder of Comfort, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 22 May 11 04:35 BST (UK) »
Dugald Paterson (1848-1875) of Campbeltown, Argyllshire was the younger brother of Francis McCallum Paterson who was a hotel keeper and the son of John Paterson, a pensioned Mariner of the revenue cruiser Chichester. Dugald died, age 27, at sea aboard the SS Earnholm where he served as Chief Engineer. The 1871 census shows him living in Glasgow where he was employed as an “engine fitter”.

On Scotland's People, the Marine Register for 1875 shows that Dugald Paterson, Chief Engineer, age 27 died in an accident aboard the SS Earnholm. Where can I learn more about his death? I live in Texas and visiting the National Archives is not an option.

Black's guide to Ireland for 1902 shows "S.S. EARNHOLM leaves Leith every Monday, and Aberdeen every Tuesday, for Buckie, Lossiemouth, Cromarty, Invergordon, and Inverness: leaves Inverness every Thursday for Cromarty, Invergordon, Aberdeen, and Leith." I also found that the SS Earnholm sank off Invergordon in 1911 or 1912
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 30 May 11 21:30 BST (UK) »
'Fraid I don't know the answer to this one TropiConsul, you might have more luck if you post it on another board (Common Room or Occupation Interests perhaps?) where more people are likely to see it.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham