Author Topic: UK Seaforth Highlanders- Smith/Pickthall  (Read 5064 times)

Offline Colleen Ruud

• RootsChat Extra
  • I was born in Palmerston North, New Zealand. My Mum was a NZ'er and my Dad, Scottish from Dumfries. My maiden name was Pickthall. My husband is Norwegian whom I met through the Uriah Heep Fanclub in 1993. I have been living in Norway since March 1995. I a
    • View Profile
Re: UK Seaforth Highlanders- Smith/Pickthall
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 January 15 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken,
Thank you. Not sure what to post here as l am knew to this.
I know I would love to find out more about him and other relatives he may have.
My mother's name was Neroli. My dad passed away March 1982 and my mum November 2008.

Regards
Colleen

Offline Del777

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 January 15 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Collen,

As I wrote earlier in this topic I do have some info on your father and a lot more info on his relatives from Gatehouse of Fleet .
 I would be happy to pass on all the info I can.

Regards
 Del

Offline Colleen Ruud

• RootsChat Extra
  • I was born in Palmerston North, New Zealand. My Mum was a NZ'er and my Dad, Scottish from Dumfries. My maiden name was Pickthall. My husband is Norwegian whom I met through the Uriah Heep Fanclub in 1993. I have been living in Norway since March 1995. I a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 January 15 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Del,
I would love to find out more about my father's (James Pickthall) family. He has been a hard one to track any information on, this is why I turned to this site to help me.

Regards
Colleen

Offline Langholm 85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 November 15 22:59 GMT (UK) »
hello i am just starting to research the Pickthall family from Gatehouse, New Zealand and a month ago i had lunch with my Cousin Charles Pickthall and his wife whom i had'nt seen for 50 odd years his Mother was Annie Marshall McDowall married to James Riddick Pickthall Charles told me his Grandfather Alexander had been married Three times and one of the children had jumped Ship in New zealand i now believe that was James McDonald Pickthall and if possible would like to get as much information as possible about him as my cousins in Gatehouse dont'know much about him or his family, i found a grave site for a James Pickthall in Palmerston North New Zealand with a regimental number 3185510 L A C Air FORCE INSIGNIA Buried 8 April 1982 this could possibly be him

Offline Langholm 85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 28 November 15 23:12 GMT (UK) »
hi i can help you with the scottish side of your Fathers family can you tell me if you have any relatives still in Palmerston north and am i right in thinking you father is buried in Kelven Grove and was in the NZ Airforce and some information about the NZ side of the family that i might be able to contact i live in Wanganui New Zealand

Offline Colleen Ruud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi there.  The James McDonald Pickthall you are referring to who jumped ship is definitely my father.
He is buried in Kelven Grove and was in the NZ air-force.
I do have some information to share with you, but not very much.
2 of his daughters from his first marriage still live in New Plymouth (my half sisters).
I'd like to get more in touch with you.  Either by e-mail or Facebook.
Would that be possible?
Thanks for your interest.  Looking forward to hearing from you again.
Regards,
Colleen

Offline ElysiaOsborne

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 July 23 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hey Lil and Colleen!

I saw this site a while ago while researching my family tree but I've only just now come back to it as I had also hit a dead end when trying to find James Pickthall's birth mother, Jeanie Smith. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find records on her, especially as I don't know her year of birth, death, etc.
I'm also beginning to believe that we have an ever smaller chance at finding his birth father due to the lack of information there is around his birth mother.

As well as this, I believe my grandmother had given a son up for adoption who would be my half-uncle. His name was Warrick however that is all I know about him and thus cannot find anything on him either. If anyone has found any information on Jeanie Smith and Warrick could you please let me know? Thanks.

James Pickthall is my great grandfather through my grandmother V.E.Osborne (Pickthall) who still lives in New Plymouth. I believe the person you were helping is her sister and my great aunt. It is lovely to hear that you've been helping her Lil!

And Colleen that must mean you're my half great aunt! I had no idea he had other children. I was born in New Plymouth but moved to Palmerston North at the very end of 2021. I had no idea that my great grandfather had come here too! However I did find that he had another partner named Neroli, which I would assume is your mother?

Regards,
Elysia