Author Topic: Looking for TRAIL family of Pitsligo area, Aberdeenshire  (Read 10689 times)

Offline Biddydi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for TRAIL family of Pitsligo area, Aberdeenshire
« on: Tuesday 29 March 11 15:56 BST (UK) »
I am looking for my ancestors who were born in and around Pitsligo, Aberdeenshire (Kincardinshire) in the 1800's.
If anyone can help me here, please do. My grandfather was John Downie Trail born about 1894 and his father was Wilson Summers Trail, born about 1869, both born in this area. Grandmother was Isabella Allen born in same area about 1866.  My grandfather had two brothers, Wilson Summers Trail and George Trail who was a doctor.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for TRAIL family of Pitsligo area, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, welcome to rootschat. I've no connection with the Trail family but I have seen Dr.Trail's signature on some of my ancestor's death certificates! How much research have you already done? Have you traced the Trails through the censuses, for example? There are many people willing to help here on rootschat but it will save duplication of work if you let us know exactly what you're hoping to find out!
Regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Biddydi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hello: We are only just starting out.
I got my information in my original posting from the 1901 census.
An auntie I have found is intending to post a notice in the newspaper in Aberdeen to see if she can find George and Wilson Summers.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 20:04 BST (UK) »
If you click on this link you'll be able to send an email to the editor of "The Fraserburgh Herald". This local newspaper will cover the areas you're  interested in. I expect that your Aunt will be contacting the Press & Journal, a much larger newspaper with a huge coverage!
http://www.fraserburghherald.co.uk/community/letters-to-the-editor
Good luck!
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline t1m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 20:44 BST (UK) »
You probably have the following information already, taken from the IGI and online censuses.  However, it will help with answers if other people don't need to research this first.  It starts with Alexander TRAIL and Jane DOWNIE being married.  I'd try and do more, but it's time for my bed.

Alexander TRAIL and Jane DOWNIE married 1 Nov 1832, Pitligo:
    William TRAIL born 1 Jul 1835, christened 8 Jul 1835, Pitligo.
    John Downie TRAIL born 14 Aug 1838, christened 21 Aug 1838, Pitligo.
    Jean TRAIl born 15 Aug 1840, christened 22 Aug 1840, Pitligo.

John Downie TRAIL 1838 (occupation white fisher) married Helen ROBERTSON (born 11 Sep 1844 in St Nicholas, Aberdeen) on 17 Jan 1865, St Nicholas, Aberdeen:
    Rachel TRAIL born 11 Mar 1867, Pitligo.
    Wilson Summers TRAIL born 22 Oct 1868, Pitsligo.
    Richard Robertson TRAIL born 8 Aug 1871, St nicholas, Aberdeen.
    Helen Ann TRAIL born 24 Sep 1873, St nicholas, Aberdeen.

According to the censuses, they also had the following children:
    Alexander J TRAIL born abt. 1877, Aberdeen.
    Margaret J TRAIL born abt. 1881, Aberdeen.

Wilson Summers TRAIL 1868 (occupation trawl net labourer) and Isabella had the following children (according to the census):
    John TRAIL born abt 1894, St Nicholas, Aberdeen.
    George TRAIL born abt 1896, St Nicholas, Aberdeen.
    Wilson TRAIL born abt 1900, St Nicholas, Aberdeen.

Offline Biddydi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 23:40 BST (UK) »
Wow, thank you tim.
Amazing. I did not have that info.
Can you see what happened to George Trail, the doctor or Wilson Summers Trail?

fist: I have passed the info along to my aunt. Thank you.

Offline t1m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 09:06 BST (UK) »
Going further than I had the time to yesterday, you might also want to know the following.

I'm looking at the 1851 census, and there are some other children who are listed there and whose births are registered to Alexander Trail and JEAN (not Jane) Downie.  I'd be confident the name is an error, and these are also the children of Alexander and Jane.  Including the already listed children (William, John & Jean) for completeness:
    Margaret TRAIL born 7 Jul 1833, christened 15 Jul 1833, Pitsligo.
    William TRAIL born 1 Jul 1835, christened 8 Jul 1835, Pitligo.
    John Downie TRAIL born 14 Aug 1838, christened 21 Aug 1838, Pitligo.
    Jean TRAIL born 15 Aug 1840, christened 22 Aug 1840, Pitligo.
    Ann TRAIL born 6 Aug 1846, Pitsligo.
    Jessie TRAIL born 21 Feb 1849, Pitsligo.
    Alexander TRAIL born 22 Nov 1853, Pitsligo.
    Peter Sim TRAIL born 28 Aug 1855, Pitsligo.

I'm estimating Alexander to have been born about 1803 to 1813 (using the unscientific method of removing 20 to 30 years from the birth of his known first born).  I'll also assume he was also born in Pitligo.  There's an Alexander TRAIL born to a William TRAIL and Jane (possibly JEAN) RITCHIE in 1808.  Strong candidate given his children's names.  There's also an Alexander born to Alexander TRAIL and Christian DUTHIE in 1817.  This would have meant Margaret would have been born when her father was only 16, and the name Christian isn't given to any of Alexander's children.

There's a Jane Downie born 2 Dec 1810 to John DOWNIE and Ann SIM.  Taking this Jane, this would suggest Alexander we want is 1808:
    Margaret - unaccounted for (but see Alexander's eldest sister born 1798)
    William - named after paternal grandfather
    John - named after maternal grandfather
    Jean - named after paternal grandmother
    Ann - named after maternal grandmother
    Peter's middle name Sim - named after maternal grandmothers m.s.

So now we can add:

William TRAIL and Jane/Jean RITCHIE married 23 Nov 1797, Pitsligo.
    Margaret TRAIL born 3 Nov 1798, Pitsligo.
    Alexander TRAIL born 25 Aug 1800, Pitsligo.
    Christian TRAIL born 21 Nov 1801, Pitsligo.
    Jean TRAIL born 5 Jan 1803, Pitsligo.
    Ann TRAIL born 29 Jun 1805, Pitsligo.
    Alexander TRAIL born 4 Jun 1808, Pitsligo.*
    John TRAIL born 23 Jun 1811, Pitsligo.
    Barbra [sic] TRAIL born 2 Jul 1815, Pitsligo.

*This is the second Alexander to the family, which means Alexander born 1800 has died by the time this Alexander was born.  Obviously this Alexander is your grandfather.

Finding William's birth is not so easy, and should be considered a guess.  The BMDs should give more clues.  However, using the 20-30 year guess, and looking in Pitsligo only, a John TRAIL and Grizel/Grizzel RITCHY/RITCHIE have the following children:
    William TRAIL born 20 Mar 1771, Pitsligo
    Alexander TRAIL born 23 May 1775, Pitsligo.

There's no indication in the names of William and Jane/Jean's children that this is the correct birth.  But then, William apparently doesn't name any children after himself.

Similiary, take the following with a pinch of salt:
    John TRAIL born 13 Jun 1741 to John TRAIL and Janet RITCHIE, Pitsligo.

That's as far as the easy stuff goes on the IGI.  You should check all my dates add up, and grab the copies of the originals from Scotland's People.  The details on the birth, marriage and death certificates will not only help to confirm the ancestry (using names, locations and occupations), but might tell you more about your ancestors.  You should also look for censuses between 1841 and 1911 (1911 available next week).

You ask about George and Wilson Summers.  To find out what happened to them, you'll need to look on Scotland's People.  You know approximately when and where they were born, so you should have no problem geting their birth and death records.  It's probable that you wont be able to see their death records online, so you'll need to find when they died (which given their year of birth should be fairly easy if they stayed in the Pitsligo area) and from there order an extract.  If ordered from Scotland's People, the cost is currently £10, going up to £12 next week.

Hope that all helps.  As I wrote, do check all the information I've given you.  I've not done as much genealogy as I'd like to as my own Scottish ancestry is proving more elusive, but I hope I've got you started.

Tim

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hello,

With a name like William Summers Trail, it's easy to find a death.  In all of Scotland, 1855 to 2009 there are on 2 deaths to a person of that name.  One is for a six year old boy in 1906, which I'd assume is a son of WS Trail senior.  William Summers Trail died on 11th July 1937 - aged 67.  At the time he was a 'ships stores foreman'.  He was married to Isabella Allan.  His parents were John Downie Trail and Helen Trail (M.S. Robertson).

All the needed bmds as 'Tim' has pointed out can be sourced from the official govt website at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  However, do not send off for certs - unless you have to - births up to 1910 deaths to abt 1958 and marriages to about 1937 can all be downloaded for £1.20 each. (one pounds twenty pence each - assuming a 1st time hit).

There are only a few George Trail deaths in all of Scotland of the right age.  Assuming he died in Scotland.  The most likely passed away in Aberdeen in 1967 - aged 67.  SP shows that he had the middle name of Allan.

The site is free to register - and search, but to view and download costs.  Min spend currently of £6.00 allows for the purchase of 30 credits which allows for the download of 5 bmds/or census entries - copies - not transctiptions.  Good luck.

Regards,   Steve

If you pm me your e-mail address I can forward the entry I downloaded.   :)

Offline Biddydi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 13:59 BST (UK) »
Tim and Steve:

Thank you so very much for all the wonderful information.

I will sit down and try to sort through it all and then go further. I will make further posts as I progress.

Steve: Don't understand about providing an e-mail address. I am very new at this. Can you not attach it to your initial message for it to come automatically into my e-mail account?

Biddydi