Author Topic: Border Reivers  (Read 3850 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Border Reivers
« on: Tuesday 29 March 11 16:07 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered that one of my branches could possibly be connected to the Border Reivers.

The surname is Dodd, and I've read that it is one of the surnames associated with the reivers. However, my chap, Thomas Dodd, married in Askham, Westmoreland in 1714 but the reiver Dodds seem to have been centred around Bellingham, Hexham in Northumberland - some miles to the North East.

I've never been able to find a suitable baptism in Westmoreland for my Thomas Dodd in Westmoreland and I note that there is one in Bellingham, but, of course, I've no idea if it is the same man or not.

I just wondered if there are any Border Reiver experts on Rootschat who might be able to help or point me in the right direction?

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Border Reivers
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 17:43 BST (UK) »
Willyam Dodd has a daughter Mary at Brough Westmorland 18Th of December 1791,

before that I cant find any records for Dodd in that area ,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,