Author Topic: Eliza Sloan mid 1840s Belfast  (Read 3513 times)

Offline jilldel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza Sloan mid 1840s Belfast
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 11:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help toby, it would be lovely to find out that Eliza had left some family behind but I'm now probably at the end of where I can go with  this unless anyone can find the death or residence of her father. However, the problem there is that he has been listed as a James Sloan (daughter bridget Ann's marriage cert - since she is largely refered to as Ann, Bridge may well be her Saint's name) and a Hugh Sloan (on his wife's death cert).  There is also a Maloy link into this family too at this point in their history but again, I'm waiting on a cert from PRO to  verify which of the sisters was his mother.

As you can see I'm now clutching at straws but am delighted to discover that it is Belfast that she can pin her little flag into.

Best wishes, Jill
Sloan, McLoughlin, Wilmott, Wallace
ASHWORTH  TAYLOR  CHADWICK

FLAXMOSS, HASLINGDEN, ROCHDALE, BIRTLE, BURY

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi jilldel,i have the same problem i do not know who my fathers father was after spending £14 pounds on his birth cert to top it all they have put the price stamp right on the front of the cert ,i do not know how they can justify that price this was from Belfast so i would warn other Rootchatters about this disgraceful practice have they no sensitivety.I do not think we are connected but the very best of luck in finding your family it can be difficult at times. regards Tobyma123. :)
James William Chappell is now James William Grantham ,Elizebeth Hill Grantham .Lincolnshire.Mary Jane Morgan 1842 born in Overton Flintshire Wales.Ann Morgan 1831 both wives of William Morgan 1829 Worcester.John Dowley 1858 Wellington Salop.Thomas Tole or Toal Selena Mac Masters born in Scotland but lived in county Down NIreland born about 1790.

Offline Ann Sharpley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 August 17 10:01 BST (UK) »
Dear Jill,

Just joined Roots Chat and came across your posts; I'm related to the Sloans. Bridget Ann Sloan was my 2nd ggm. I have assumed Hugh Mulloy was her son as he is with her on the 1851 and 1861 census but both occasions Mary his gm is also with him so he could even be the child of another of Mary's children that stayed in Ireland. The age gap between Eliza and Bridget makes me think that there must be others.

Do we have the same census findings. I have for them:
1851: Mary Sloan 67; Ann Sloan 18; Hugh McLoy 3 in 4 Bk Pott St
1861: John Scott 33, Ann Scott 30 (nee Bridget Ann Sloan), William4, Margaret 2, Mary Mulloy (Mary Sloan) 64, Hugh Mulloy 13.
Mary is down as mother in law and widow and Hugh as Brother in law. Her age also changes but Hugh's is accurate.
I think Hugh dies in Jun 1865 in Rochdale aged 17 but I have not bought the cert to check.
I also have Bridget's marriage which has James Sloan as her father.
I haven't located Eliza and William McLoughlin's wedding.
Nor have I located Mary's death so if you could let me have details of that that would be fantastic. I lose her after 1861 census.
As for Eliza I have her in 1851 as a visitor aged 25 with Patrick Coleman (musician from Ireland) and family in Ancoats?
1841 it is possible that she is a servant in Manchester (aged 15) but it states she was born in M/c.

Anyway, enough for now- please get in touch and we can try and fill in some blanks.

Best wishes
Ann

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 August 17 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Ann I think on this one I can count myself out (my ancestors Sloane) are
Scots descent would not have been RC Sloan without E is usually RC.
However you might try Newry Donaghmore Loughbrickland and Banbridge
genealogy site they have many names on there and info on the churches.
also a site called Cindy's list loads of stuff on there.
  regards tobyma123. :)
James William Chappell is now James William Grantham ,Elizebeth Hill Grantham .Lincolnshire.Mary Jane Morgan 1842 born in Overton Flintshire Wales.Ann Morgan 1831 both wives of William Morgan 1829 Worcester.John Dowley 1858 Wellington Salop.Thomas Tole or Toal Selena Mac Masters born in Scotland but lived in county Down NIreland born about 1790.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 August 17 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Ann I think on this one I can count myself out (my ancestors Sloane) are
Scots descent would not have been RC Sloan without E is usually RC.
However you might try Newry Donaghmore Loughbrickland and Banbridge
genealogy site they have many names on there and info on the churches.
also a site called Cindy's list loads of stuff on there.

Spelling was very fluid and impossible to say religion based on spelling (I know of Sloans that were not Catholic and Sloanes that were Catholic).

Many R.C. church registers now online- http://registers.nli.ie/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hello aghadowey I stand corrected you are probably right, I was just going
on what my father told me when he lived there.