Author Topic: Skelton family  (Read 5594 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Skelton family
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 March 11 09:02 BST (UK) »
Graham Skelton, son of Thomas, married Mary Humphry, daughter of James. Note: some of the children's births list her name as Mary Alison Humphrey. Children:
1. Thomas born 9 Aug.1864 Whitehouse district)- page 327 in civil register-
2. Margaret Skelton born 28 Oct.1867 Shankil #1 (White House) district- page 402 in civil register
3. Graham born 17 Jan.1872 Belfast #1 district- page 423 in civil register
4. Samuel born 26 Mar.1874 Belfast #7 district
5. daughter born 19 June 1876 White House

See LDS site: https://www.familysearch.org/#form=advanced-records
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Wazzag

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 31 March 11 09:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you. The Skelton family grows! Cheers
Gowling, Goulding, Golding, Banks, Kent, Abbott, Skelton

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 31 March 11 09:37 BST (UK) »
The details we've posted are for various Skeltons but you need to verify that these belong to your family.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline John Garth Robinson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 April 18 10:27 BST (UK) »
You might find this relevant (or not!) but it's certainly of interest to me. I recently traced my own ancestry through my father's side in the hope of finding some Irish roots. As far as I can see I have none, but his mother's maiden name was Skelton. There are many generations of them in my family tree. My starting point was Mary Moore Skelton, born near Maryport in 1897.

For a guess you already know, but the name was originally Cumbrian or Northern English and it is / was extremely prevalent in Maryport and the surrounding area. Because Maryport was once an important shipping town (with trading links to Liverpool), it's not hard to see that people would have had easy access to Northern Ireland where, perhaps, they went to live and work. In fact I think this happened in our case to some degree. It's just something to keep an eye on when doing your own research.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 April 18 06:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Wazzag

If you are still working on the Skelton family and have that birth certificate now, then the additional information from that could tell me if your Skelton family links to any of the Skeltons in Templepatrick who belong to my family.

There are multiple Courtney/Skelton/Wiley marriages in my tree starting from about 1800.

Cheers

Linda NZ

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 April 18 11:06 BST (UK) »

Skelton, Artr.   Townland: Toberagnew [Toberagnee?] Year: 1835 Carnmoney from http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/antrim/tithe-applotments/carnmoney-parish.php#.WuGBBy-ZNEI   problems arise Toberagnew is not listed in townlands in https://www.townlands.ie/antrim/carnmoney/  I thought at first it was Ballymartin parish then become sure this is in Templepatrick civil parish as there are about 6 wills listed for that line in https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/

Geographically Carnmoney parish has a spike running across part of north Templepatrick partly explained in a book SM Stephenson  histostorical essay on templepatrick 1824. I found it here https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=NwMRAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA17&lpg=PA17&dq=toberagnew+templepatrick&source=bl&ots=btE_-fCygN&sig=ISU4-X0R_9bbVWf-LXQTK98qE6s&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVztfH0tfaAhUpKsAKHS3kAdMQ6AEISzAF#v=onepage&q=toberagnew%20templepatrick&f=false

Regarding Thomas Skelton I find two living in same townland in Griffiths Valuation
which has continuation books at PRONI
1.  Thomas Skelton White House Lower,White House Carnmoney Co Antrim Griffiths Valuation map ref 25 16
occupier 1861 living at property 16 in the village with David & Henry Skelton the house valued at £4 ten shillings pa the second top valuation in the village, the valuations start at £1 ten shillings pa.  this is my first experience of Griffiths listing 3 persons, although there are several others also with 2 names. So who is oldest etc isn’t clear.
children if the right Thomas
Graham Skelton, son of Thomas, married Mary Humphry, daughter of James. Note: some of the children's births list her name as Mary Alison Humphrey. ancestryireland has a Graham Shannon Skelton son of Thomas b 1841 Co Antrim
Children: aghadowey and kingskerswell

2.  Thomas Skelton White House Lower,White House Carnmoney Co Antrim Griffiths Valuation map ref 25 [40] typo gives 10  house and yard  valued £5 five shillings
children if the right Thomas
Graham Skelton, son of Thomas, married Mary Humphry, daughter of James. Note: some of the children's births list her name as Mary Alison Humphrey. ancestryireland has a Graham Shannon Skelton son of Thomas b 1841 Co Antrim
Children: aghadowey and kingskerswell
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide