Author Topic: members of "E"Co.2nd Battalion,Dublin Brigade  (Read 38061 times)

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
members of "E"Co.2nd Battalion,Dublin Brigade
« on: Wednesday 30 March 11 08:42 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the names of Volunteers who were members of "E"Co.2nd Battalion,Dublin Brigade ,my grandfather, Commandant Michael Duffy, along with 3 of his brothers were members.
Any information, such as how old they were , what were their jobs, where they lived, any medals they received and what did they do after the Treaty.
I have posted a list of names compiled by Colonel J.V.JOYCE from his Witness Statement No.1762 who was Chief of Investigation Staff of the Military Bureau on the  Michael Collins and the Squad site, page 10, it refers to who were members of the SQUAD, G.H.Q. INTELLIGENCE and the ACTIVE SERVICE UNITS.
If you had a relative on the list who was also a member of "E"CO.2ND BATTALION, please let me know.
CSM

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: members of "E"Co.2nd Battalion,Dublin Brigade
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 09:20 BST (UK) »
One of the operations carried out by "E" Co.2nd Battalion
Attack on the LONDON and NORTH WESTERN RAILWAY COMPANY,S HOTEL , NORTH WALL DUBLIN
An attempt was made on Monday morning of the 11th April 1921,to destroy the L.N.W,R.H. at North Wall ,Dublin.
This Hotel was occupied by "Q" Company of the Auxiliary Division, R.I.C. who had taken possession three weeks earlier. Their duty was to watch the arrival and departure of Steamers to prevent the importation of arms and ammunition, and to keep an eye on suspected persons.
Shortly before 8.00. o,clock in the morning when groups of Dockers were going to work, the attackers mingled with them and walked down the Quays. When the attack began, an Auxiliary sentry on duty outside was shot in the leg, but he succeeded in getting in inside and raising the alarm, Many of the Auxiliaries who had been out on duty during the night were in bed when the attack began, without waiting to dress, they seized their weapons and joined in the defense of the Hotel.
The Hotel was attacked from 3 different points, men armed with bombs and revolvers attacked the windows from 2 sides, while others who were stationed on adjacent roofs with rifles, fired at anything they saw moving inside. The men on the road took cover behind barrels that they rolled in front of them as they advanced to the windows hurling their bombs. Major Ryan, the Company Commander was coming down the stairs when a bomb came through the window, knocking off his cap, the bomb however failed to explode. The Auxiliaries, most of whom were partly dressed, came out on the road and relied vigorously to the fire of the assailants, who quickly fled and were pursued in every direction. Some escaped across the canal, others towards the City, and they raised the drawbridges to prevent further pursuit. Parties of 5 and 6 Auxiliaries chased them here and there after escaping assailants, and minor engagements took place at several points. One man who had a bomb in his hand was shot in the head and fell in the road, he died on his way to hospital, two other men suffering from gunshot wounds were taken to hospital. The sentry wounded at the start of the attack was the only Auxiliary casualty, he was Temporary Cadet Gerald L. Brody, formerly he had been a 2nd L/T. in the Royal East Kent Regiment during the late War, his Auxiliary no. was 681
C.C.M. 
The above information was taken from The Royal Irish Constabulary forum, ref- The Auxiliary Division R.I.C.
Thanks to Peter McRIC

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 09:59 BST (UK) »
The Dublin Brigade - General Information on Battalions
The Dublin Brigade, launched to counter the renewed campaign of terror, drew its strengths from survivors of the 1916 Rising.It was made up in the main of Dublin artisans, according to Oscar Traynor, with a sprinkling of students from the National University and Trinity College representing practically every county and profession. The paper strength was around 3,500, of which 15% could be counted on for action - if they could get off work !
The Brigade consisted of 5 Battalions, 1st, 2ND, 3rd, 4Th and 5Th. The 5Th was an engineering Battalion and contained 4 companies of all kinds of tradesmen corresponding to each of the other 4 Battalions. It was administered by a Brigade staff and was disposed as follows -
1st Battalion - North Liffey and West O,Connell St. area.
2ND Battalion - North Liffey and East O,Connell St. area
3rd Battalion - South Liffey area.
4Th Battalion - South townships, Rathmine's, etc.
5Th Battalion - Engineers only
In April/May 1921 The 6Th and 7th Battalions were added , covering the area of South Co. Dublin and Dun Lothaire . Each Battalion was made up of six or seven companies designated - A, B, C, D, etc.The companies were divided into four sections of about 25 men each, grouped according to locality.
On large scale operations, such as Bloody Sunday, most units were used.
C.S.M.

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 10:05 BST (UK) »
Spelling error, should read North, South Liffey
CSM

Offline margnip2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 15:25 BST (UK) »
Again thanks C.S.M.  It does bring it to life when you can read accounts like this.

What I can tell you about my granddad is that he joined the Volunteers at the re-organisation after 1916.  His name was Philip Christopher Flynn and he lived at Clarks Cottages, Summer Hill Parade.  He was in E Co.II  Battalion, later he was attached to Intelligence belonging to that Company.  He sates on his pension application that he was involved in all of the important engagements attached to that Company.  The only ones he mentions are the attacks on the L&NWR Hotel and the Customs House.  He has given no other details of his involvment with anythig else.

My granddad, Phil Flynn may also have called himself by his middle name, Chris Flynn.
Dublin-Byrne, Doyle,
Kildare - Mooney, Fox
County Cavan-Flynn, Donohoe
London-Pingram, Cowell
Oxfordshire-French, Hunt
Tamworth Staffordshire-Chiles, Marson

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 15:28 BST (UK) »
Spelling error, spell check has a mind of its own !
2ND Batt. should read North Liffey and East O,Connell Street
4th Batt should read South townships, Rathmines, etc.
Sorry for any confusion
CSM

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 15:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that margnip2, it is most helpfull and interesting, do you know where your grandfather was buried ?, a colleague, James Langton is interested in any photos that you or your family might have of the graves of these forgotten heroes, he would like to put them on a site to keep their memory alive.
Also, would you know how old he was and if he was married or single.
I will post more information on the site.
CSM

Offline ivorjbody

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 July 11 22:03 BST (UK) »
One of the operations carried out by "E" Co.2nd Battalion
Attack on the LONDON and NORTH WESTERN RAILWAY COMPANY,S HOTEL , NORTH WALL DUBLIN
An attempt was made on Monday morning of the 11th April 1921,to destroy the L.N.W,R.H. at North Wall ,Dublin.
This Hotel was occupied by "Q" Company of the Auxiliary Division, R.I.C. who had taken possession three weeks earlier. Their duty was to watch the arrival and departure of Steamers to prevent the importation of arms and ammunition, and to keep an eye on suspected persons.
Shortly before 8.00. o,clock in the morning when groups of Dockers were going to work, the attackers mingled with them and walked down the Quays. When the attack began, an Auxiliary sentry on duty outside was shot in the leg, but he succeeded in getting in inside and raising the alarm, Many of the Auxiliaries who had been out on duty during the night were in bed when the attack began, without waiting to dress, they seized their weapons and joined in the defense of the Hotel.
The Hotel was attacked from 3 different points, men armed with bombs and revolvers attacked the windows from 2 sides, while others who were stationed on adjacent roofs with rifles, fired at anything they saw moving inside. The men on the road took cover behind barrels that they rolled in front of them as they advanced to the windows hurling their bombs. Major Ryan, the Company Commander was coming down the stairs when a bomb came through the window, knocking off his cap, the bomb however failed to explode. The Auxiliaries, most of whom were partly dressed, came out on the road and relied vigorously to the fire of the assailants, who quickly fled and were pursued in every direction. Some escaped across the canal, others towards the City, and they raised the drawbridges to prevent further pursuit. Parties of 5 and 6 Auxiliaries chased them here and there after escaping assailants, and minor engagements took place at several points. One man who had a bomb in his hand was shot in the head and fell in the road, he died on his way to hospital, two other men suffering from gunshot wounds were taken to hospital. The sentry wounded at the start of the attack was the only Auxiliary casualty, he was Temporary Cadet Gerald L. Brody, formerly he had been a 2nd L/T. in the Royal East Kent Regiment during the late War, his Auxiliary no. was 681
C.C.M. 
The above information was taken from The Royal Irish Constabulary forum, ref- The Auxiliary Division R.I.C.
Thanks to Peter McRIC
Can I just correct that my fathers name was Gerald Alfred Body Cadet number.681 I know that Capel Street man probably knows this now. The family living my older brother and sister knew nothing of his envolvement. I asked friends of mine who ran the rest home he lived in if they knew of this wound. They did and asked what it was and he said a war wound. He survived and went on  to be a Royal Flying Corp observer and then finishing a Squadron Leading in the RAF. Thanks to Capel street man and Peter McRIC without them we would have been completely ignorant of his envolvment

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 July 11 13:07 BST (UK) »
Welcome to the site ivorjbody, delighted to hear from Gerald Body,s son, the credit and thanks should go to Peter Mc RIC  and his website, if you haven't already visited the site, there is a very distinguished photograph of your father and a lot more information about the attack.

You are correct in stating that I am now aware of your fathers correct name, I am sure Peter would also be delighted to hear from you, I will post a message on the RIC Forum site to say that you have been in touch.

My regards to you and family

CSM