Author Topic: members of "E"Co.2nd Battalion,Dublin Brigade  (Read 38329 times)

Offline tommobecket

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: members of "E"Co.2nd Battalion,Dublin Brigade
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 02 October 11 18:08 BST (UK) »
The Dublin Brigade - General Information on Battalions
The Dublin Brigade, launched to counter the renewed campaign of terror, drew its strengths from survivors of the 1916 Rising.It was made up in the main of Dublin artisans, according to Oscar Traynor, with a sprinkling of students from the National University and Trinity College representing practically every county and profession. The paper strength was around 3,500, of which 15% could be counted on for action - if they could get off work !
The Brigade consisted of 5 Battalions, 1st, 2ND, 3rd, 4Th and 5Th. The 5Th was an engineering Battalion and contained 4 companies of all kinds of tradesmen corresponding to each of the other 4 Battalions. It was administered by a Brigade staff and was disposed as follows -
1st Battalion - North Liffey and West O,Connell St. area.
2ND Battalion - North Liffey and East O,Connell St. area
3rd Battalion - South Liffey area.
4Th Battalion - South townships, Rathmine's, etc.
5Th Battalion - Engineers only
In April/May 1921 The 6Th and 7th Battalions were added , covering the area of South Co. Dublin and Dun Lothaire . Each Battalion was made up of six or seven companies designated - A, B, C, D, etc.The companies were divided into four sections of about 25 men each, grouped according to locality.
On large scale operations, such as Bloody Sunday, most units were used.
C.S.M.

Thank you for this clarification capel street man, most helpful for us amateurs. Are there lists of the members of each of the battallions? I'm getting ill trying to find any sight of my grandfather Denis Byrne, who has both 1916 (ICA member) and 1919-21 medals (with Comrac)? many thanks
Byrne, Stapleton, Kennedy, Dougherty, Clishan/Clisham. Easter 1916 Dublin, in Ireland.
Sharp, Houlgrave, McCarrick, Quinn, Dougherty in Liverpool.
Japha in Liverpool and Prussia (Poland)

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 02 October 11 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hello tommobecket, you probably know this, in the book - History of the Irish Citizen Army, by R.M.Fox, he mentions a D.Byrne as being in the  Stephens Green Garrison.

No, there are no complete lists of members of the Battalions, its a case of trying to piece together all the names that come up on these posts, some of them do give a list of names for a particular Company but I think its an impossible task, but who knows, one day it might happen, a lot of the records didn't survive.

CSM

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Gary, ref - Ambush at Crossguns Bridge  W.S. no 667 by Patrick Lawson, member of 1st Battalion, Dublin Brigade 1917,, member of the Squad, 1921
Quote -

A short time after my release from Arbour Hill, an ambush was arranged by the company to take place in the vicinity of Crossguns Bridge. Ten men of the company were selected to take part in this operation. un - quote.

Not having much progress with men captured at the Custom House, only name I have come across so far -

Thomas Flood, brother of Frank, participated in Custom House burning, captured and charged with treason, Battalion unknown.

CSM

Offline Gary Deering

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 20:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks CSM for that,If I come across any men from C coy I will post there names here.

Tom Flood is a hard one to nail down.He was very well liked during the Civil War. My Great Uncle mentions him as a ref on his pension application & John Pinkman paints a great picture of him in his book. Gary
Deering Dublin,Hickey Dublin,Wilson Dublin,Murphy Dublin/Carlow.

Offline tommobecket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 08 October 11 21:04 BST (UK) »
thanks Capel street man. I have the Sean O'Casey history but not familiar with M.R Fox. Thank you so much.

Byrne, Stapleton, Kennedy, Dougherty, Clishan/Clisham. Easter 1916 Dublin, in Ireland.
Sharp, Houlgrave, McCarrick, Quinn, Dougherty in Liverpool.
Japha in Liverpool and Prussia (Poland)

Offline PeterMc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 07 November 11 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Gerald Body's son, Ivor, has asked me to update the forum with the following information:
As a result of the gunshot injuries he received following the attack on the North Wall L&NWR Hotel, T/C Body was awarded £180 compensation on 21 January 1922. See also this link - click
Research into the old Royal Irish Constabulary

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 10 November 11 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello PeterMc, thanks for the update, the amount awarded of £180 in 1922 would  be the equivalent value today of approx 36 x the amount ,allowing for inflation, this is not an exact figure, just a guide
36 x £180 = £ 6480 approx

Was there a scale of awards depending on the injuries received ?

CSM

Offline ivorjbody

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 10 November 11 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that. I have been trying to work it out. It probably went on a horse knowing my dad!!

Offline Private 1st class

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Tom Flood was taken from the Custom House to Dublin Castle. To the Black and Tan rooms at Ships St gate.A number of men were taken there and questioned, While being questioned he was beaten severely. Even though he was badly hurt, He took of his jacket, throwing it on the ground. He stood before his assailants and asked them if they were men, and fight him  one to one. There were no takers. On the orders of the intellgence officer present he was sent to Mountjoy that evening. I believe Tom was a member of the 2nd Battalion Dublin Brigade. Hope this is a bit of help to you.