Author Topic: members of "E"Co.2nd Battalion,Dublin Brigade  (Read 38062 times)

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: members of "E"Co.2nd Battalion,Dublin Brigade
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 24 November 11 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Private 1st class, you are quite right that Tom Flood participated in the Custom House burning  and  was captured. He was charged with treason. Acute appendicitis on the eve of his trial caused its postponement. The Truce was declared on the eve of the date selected for his retrial.
One of his brothers, Frank, was captured when attempting to escape from the scene of an ambush. He was court martialled and found guilty of High Treason. He was hanged at Mountjoy, 14th March, 1921.
I understand there were a number of other brothers that were involved as well as Frank and Thomas.
I have been unable to confirm which Battalion they were members of.

CSM

Offline ivorjbody

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 24 November 11 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Have just read the article which you all must have done so? Never heard of it before? It seemed horrendous for everyone concerned including sightseers? http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F10D10FB345B1B7A93C4AB178ED85F458285F9
ivor

Offline Private 1st class

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 24 November 11 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi. They were both members of the second battalion. They lived at Summerhill Parade. Frank flood was my mothers weapons instructor. She was a Capt in the Dromcondra Branch of Cumman na mBan. The second battalion had a lot of different types of pistols and revolvers. The women would often carry the weapons to the battle site. and collect them after. They would often get them in a cocked or half cocked position. and with auto's they could be jammed. The women needed to be able to clear the weapon and make it safe. She would hold classes, she would be given a firearm to train with on the night It was Franks job to train her, They lived a few doors from one another and were very good friends.

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 28 November 11 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Private 1st class, would you know any of the names of the other brothers ?

CSM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 28 November 11 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Frank had seven brothers and one sister Sarah. They were John,  Valentine,  Thomas,  Francis,  Peter,  Edward,  Harold,  Alfred. They lived at number 30 Summerhill Parade, for a short number of years, My mother lived at number 23 Summerhill Parade, He was her instructor in firearms,

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Private 1st class, your mother sounds an interesting character

CSM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi she was , as were the group of them that were in my life at that time, They were aunts to me as I grew up. They were members of the Dromcondra Bch of Cumman na mBan, I received my first pistol lesson from her. Training methods have changed greatly since her time. But a lot of what she said still held in the  1960s. It was to stand to me when I entered competitions in the army at that time.

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 21 January 12 14:36 GMT (UK) »
The following is a list of members of E.Co. 2nd Battalion, Dublin Brigade who were also members or ex - players of the Saint Laurence O,Toole G.A.A. club, it was compiled by the  brothers Johnny and Paddy McDonnell to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the club. With a special thanks to Jimmy Wren.

Michael Brady
Tom Crimmins
Michael Croke
Thomas Ennis
Patrick Duffy
John Fitzharris
Sean Kerr
Thomas Leahy
Thomas J.Roche
Laurence ( Larry ) Mackey
Patrick ( Paddy ) Mitchell
Patrick J.Wheafer
James Barrett
James Cassells
Liam Daly, also Brigade Engineering Officer
Liam Daly, came over from Liverpool
Vincent Byrne
Michael Colgan
Tom Drumm
James Hannon T.C.
Sean O,Rourke
Patrick Rooney
James Shiels
Denis Shelly
Thomas Shelly
Michael ( Tiger ) Smith
Jim Slattery
James Brougham
Robert Humphreys
Tom Kehoe
Michael Lawles
James Lawless
Johnny McDonald, also known as Johnny McDonnell, name was miss - spelt on his birth certificate
Paddy McDonald ( Johns brother )
Tim O,Neil
William O,Brien ( Liam O,Brian
Frank O,Brien
Dan Begley
Denis Begley - un - confirmed
Dave Begley - un - confirmed
Jim Dempsey
Patrick ( Bill ) Birney

If any members or relatives can confirm, correct or add any details, it would be most appreciated

CSM

Offline jtknox1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 23 January 12 19:07 GMT (UK) »
My grand uncle was Laurence Mackey. He was known as Lar Mackey. His brother Michael (known as Mickie) was in C company. Michael was my grandfather. The family lived in 23 North William Street. I have tried to correct a lot of publications which put his name down as Leo Mac Kay, and other such distortions. Even after I send  his birth, marriage and death certs, they still persist. I even got one publisher stating that they got the names from the National Museum, and they cannot change them. So be it, Lar died in 1958, and is buried in Glasnevin.
If you want more genealogy about him it is on my family web site. From my grandfathers pension record, he states that he was also involved in the attack, on the Hotel.
Knox, a cooperage family in Dublin, in the 1800's. Pigeon, silk weavers, mid 1800's Dublin, Mackey Boiler Makers from Cork mid 1800's, moved to Dublin about 1865. Crosbie Family Smithfield Dublin. I have a detailed family tree on
https://sites.google.com/site/knoxmackeyclan/home