Author Topic: members of "E"Co.2nd Battalion,Dublin Brigade  (Read 38548 times)

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: members of "E"Co.2nd Battalion,Dublin Brigade
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 08:14 BST (UK) »

Hello Inistiogue Lad

Delighted to hear from you and thank you for your kind and positive comments

I take it you are related to the Freyne family in some way ?

I am currently putting together all the known names of members of "E" Co. 2nd Battalion to include in a book on my family's experiences in the period of Irish history you have mentioned

It has been and still is ongoing research at present, something I have been working on for over ten years !

I have a copy of James Francis Freynes pension file, which you have probably seen

Keep in touch

Good luck

CSM

Offline Johanna Kelleher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Monday 17 April 17 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi there Capel Street Man

My mother's first cousin was Marie Best who was married to Michael Duffy, son of Michael Duffy who was a leader in the e company 2nd battalion Dublin Brigade. I believe that this the same man you are referring to in your post here.

Was your father Michael Duffy and was he married to Marie Best or were they your uncle and aunt. Marie Best's father was Willy Best and he was my Grandmother's brother.

Johanna

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Monday 17 April 17 14:38 BST (UK) »

Hello Johanna, delighted to hear from you

Mick Duffy & Marie Duffy ( nee Best ) were my aunt and uncle, may they both R.I.P., two of the nicest people you could ever wish to meet

Michael Duffy, of E Co. 2nd Battalion, Dublin Brigade was indeed my grandfather

Were any of the Best family involved ?

CSM

Offline Johanna Kelleher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Monday 17 April 17 15:26 BST (UK) »
Marie Best was my mother's first cousin, her father was Willy Best, who was my Grandmother's Elizabeth (Betty) Best - Geraghty's brother. Willy his brother John and father Patrick Best all served in World War 1. Marie's uncle John Best was killed in Action at age 8 on 15/03/1915 before his brother Willy and father Patrick joined the war. Marie's brother Bob Best is researching this area. I think that Willy would have been involved later as he worked at Boland's Mills. I am trying to research this area further.

I do know that there was a couple of Miss  Bests in the Cumman Na Mban including a Miss E Best, who could have been my grandmother or some of her aunts.

My grandmother was born in 1904 when the family were living at 15 Moore Street and in 1911 her cousins were still living there. Other family lived at 13 Denzille Street And Marie's family were living in Coles Lane.

I believe that if female members of the family were in the Cumman Na Mban it is very likely that their brother's and other family members would be involved.

A lot of ex Soldiers also joined. I am not sure what area's Moore Street, Coles Lane and Denzille Street would come under. I know my uncle Tommy Geraghty was very Patriotic and was in the Irish Army for many years.

My grandfather Kelleher from North West Cork was involved in Action in County Cork and his sister was in the Cumman Na Mban in Clondrohid Company.

Johanna

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 08:15 BST (UK) »

Hello Johanna,

Thanks for the information, very interesting

Can you confirm the age John Best was killed in action, you have it as 8 ?

When uncle Mick was alive, he told me Marie's family ran a market in Moore Street for a number of years, Mrs Best, ( Marie's mother ) was well known, aunt Marie helped out on the market stall

CSM

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Johanna Kelleher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 11:08 BST (UK) »
Yes that's them my grandmother was living with her aunt Rosanna Maloney as her mother had died a year after she died.

My aunt Maureen Geraghty is still alive she and my mother were 1st cousins to Marie, Bob and Claire Best. She told me all about the family being dealers in Moore Street.

Marie's mother was May Best nee Kelly. They were all very close As my mother's father died at age 38 and they spent a lot of time with their uncle Willy, aunt May and their cousins.

Johanna

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 12:24 BST (UK) »

Thanks to both dathai and Johanna for confirmation and information

Johanna did you know Marie & Claire Best both married Duffy brothers ?

Claire married my uncle, Thomas Duffy R.I.P., Claire is still alive as far as I am aware

CSM

Offline Johanna Kelleher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 12:44 BST (UK) »
Claire and Bob Best are both still alive. I didn't realise that Claire also married a Duffy as well.

I am in touch with Marie and Michael's daughter Rhonda, she told me that Marie died in January 2015 and a few days later Rhonda's sister also died and your uncle Michael died in 2010. My aunt knew all of them but moved to England many years ago losing touch with the family.

Johanna