Author Topic: members of "E"Co.2nd Battalion,Dublin Brigade  (Read 38433 times)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: members of "E"Co.2nd Battalion,Dublin Brigade
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 August 11 09:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Capel street man and Peter McRIC without them we would have been completely ignorant of his envolvment

Wonderful :)

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 August 11 17:50 BST (UK) »
Your simple message says it all casalguidi and thank you for taking the time to post a reply

CSM

Offline ivorjbody

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 August 11 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hello. Contacted my brother a couple of weeks ago to find out where my fathers RIC uniform went as he cleared out the house on my fathers death. Now I do not think we are speaking. He has always been strange, Thought I should not have got involved here. He never forgave me for given a hotel we went to in Clacton a log book of  Gerald Alfred Body to their war museum. Probably made a mistake, as I have lost touch with it now and it was an RFC one in India. I do not know what planes they were, except I remember they were Bleriots. He only remembered the cap and badge. I remember the full uniform which was kept in pristine condition. he is right of course as Gerald Alfred Body's dad's England Rugby instruction letter how to get to Glasgow in 1872/3 is in Twickenham Museum and dad's medals are with the British Legion Ipswich.
ivor

Offline ronanlawless

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 September 11 23:25 BST (UK) »
My Grandfather Michael Lawless was in e coy 2nd bat. I have a statement he gave on his service in Easter Week,  Ambush Newcomen Bridge and his duties he carried out at 38 Upper Mount Street on Bloody Sunday.

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 October 11 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hello ronanlawless and welcome to the site

Delighted to hear from you, my relatives were also members in "E" Co.2nd Battalion and were involved in the Upper Mount Street operation, I have a copy of your grandfathers Witness Statement and it makes fascinating reading.

I would be interested in anything you can add or tell me about your grandfather, do you know of any other members of " E " Co.2nd Batt. Dublin Brigade.

CSM

Offline Gary Deering

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 01 October 11 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Capel Street Man, I have been working on something for the last few weeks which you might be able to help me with. I have a list of the prisoners from the Custom House & I am trying to work out each mans unit.So far I have 41 of the men listed. I only have Christopher Flynn listed as E coy.Do you know if any other men from E coy where captured at the Custom House ? any second battalion men at all would be a great help. I have been lucky to get a copy of an ASU service cert. Which lists all the men of the ASU , its more complete then the JV Joyce one.It has helped me pick out a lot of  ASU men from the prisoners list. I will try & post it on the old brigade thread as I dont want your thread going off subject.
Deering Dublin,Hickey Dublin,Wilson Dublin,Murphy Dublin/Carlow.

Offline margnip2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 October 11 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Gary

I think your Christopher Flynn is my grandad Philip Flynn.  His full name was Philip Christopher and it seems he sometimes went by his second name.  Even his father put him on the 1901 census as Christopher adding the Philip in the margin later.  If it is him then he would have been living at Clarkes Cottage, Summer Hill Parade. 

Margaret.
Dublin-Byrne, Doyle,
Kildare - Mooney, Fox
County Cavan-Flynn, Donohoe
London-Pingram, Cowell
Oxfordshire-French, Hunt
Tamworth Staffordshire-Chiles, Marson

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 02 October 11 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Gary, I will look through my research files and see if I can find any names of members of "E" Co, 2nd Battalion that were arrested at the Custom House.
That's an interesting project you are working on and well done on the ASU certificate, I had not come across that before.

CSM

Offline Gary Deering

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 02 October 11 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret, Thats him alright. He is the only member of E coy listed, My Idea behind listing the men is to see if the Dublin Brigade where crippled by the Custom House, so far I dont think it was.The ASU & Squad men where full time members & there the easy ones to pick out. CSM I can`t take any credit for the cert it was posted by David Nagle Paddy Lawson`s Grandson on our Custom House Facebook group, Which is open to anyone who had a relative in the Custom House or is interested.Its a great way of sharing information & pictures.  When the list is complete or as near as I can get it I will put it online, maybe a while yet. Going back to the cert, it includes the likes of Johnny Wilson & Billy Corri who where left off the JV Joyce list & where ASU Members. Another thing that David showed me was his Grandfathers  statement it mentions an attack at Cross Guns Bridge in March 1921 ? Paddy Lawson mentions a Johnny Williams in his statement  taking part ? was this an ASU Operation or 1 st Battalion ? If it was ASU it must be J Wilson as there was no John Williams listed on the ASU cert ?   Any ideas about the Cross Guns Bridge ambush ? Gary
Deering Dublin,Hickey Dublin,Wilson Dublin,Murphy Dublin/Carlow.