Author Topic: Family legends that turn out to be nonsense  (Read 34564 times)

Offline Guyana

• RootsChat Member
  • How far back do you want to go?
    • View Profile
Re: Family legends that turn out to be nonsense
« Reply #126 on: Sunday 12 February 17 21:06 GMT (UK) »
[quote author=HeatherLynne lin

Hi Matt, we must be related!!!  My maternal Grandmother was an Edden and the family story was that Sir Anthony had originally had the surname Edden but had removed a 'd' to make the name sound less harsh.  Unless Sir Anthony descended from Plasterers from Bury St Edmunds then I think this is very unlikely!  :)

Heather
[/quote]Hello Heather,
There are Eddens in this area (Tamworth, Staffs), one of whom was awarded the VC after the Balaclava bust-up. Any links?
Maurice.
CORDEN - N.Staffs/N.Warwicks
MORGAN - Tamworth/Notts
HIGGS - N. Warwicks
DEEMING - N.Warwicks
LEWIS - N.Warwicks

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Sunday 12 February 17 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maurice,  no I don't think so.  I've just checked my tree and I was getting confused, my Eddens were nearly all plasterers but from Marylebone then St Pancras then Islington from around 1790s to 1940s.  I've often come across the Eddens from Tamworth when searching for my folk but not found any links any further north than London yet!
However at least 10 of the men in the family have Rose as a middle name - four Samuel Rose Edden, four William Rose Edden and two George Rose Eddens all born between 1807 and 1891.  Are there any Rose connections in the Tamworth clan?
Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline Guyana

• RootsChat Member
  • How far back do you want to go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Monday 13 February 17 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Heather, No knowledge, but I can enquire. We had a neighbour, George Edden, who recently died in his nineties, and my only recent contact with the family is with Roy Ashwood, a local man, who has written a book ("Old Balaclava") about his VC ancestor.
CORDEN - N.Staffs/N.Warwicks
MORGAN - Tamworth/Notts
HIGGS - N. Warwicks
DEEMING - N.Warwicks
LEWIS - N.Warwicks

Offline Thudnut

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I'm not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 19:50 GMT (UK) »
My paternal Grandmother used to claim that our family was related to Captain Lawrence Oates - he of the Scott's Antarctic expedition.  Sadly, there is not even a remote link to the name Oates, let alone Captain Oates.

I have no idea why she made the claim.
Dixon - London/Liverpool
Morris - Liverpool
Williams - Liverpool
Hill - Gloucester
Walker - London
Nelson - Liverpool
Martin - Gloucester
Simcock - Liverpool

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Saturday 04 March 17 08:15 GMT (UK) »
My paternal Grandmother used to claim that our family was related to Captain Lawrence Oates - he of the Scott's Antarctic expedition.  Sadly, there is not even a remote link to the name Oates, let alone Captain Oates.

I have no idea why she made the claim.

Sometimes family stories get a bit muddled over the years (think of the game 'Chinese Whispers')- perhaps Captain Oates' family were neighbours or came from the same village/area? Or a cousin of his married a cousin who had a relative related to you...
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Saturday 04 March 17 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Yes I agree ! with aghadowey. If say a grandparents brother or sister marries into a family where a past down family story legend origins comes from a spouses in law family and just tracing back actual direct family maiden and paternal surnames searches of the story reveal nothing.

As a kid  my dads brothers wife being my aunty in law, we used to visit her sister a lot as my  mum, my aunty in law and her sister were big friends as spinsters being domestic maids before any of them married, I always called and treated that sister as an aunty - even though she was not directly or direct marriage in law related but a side shoot of.....an in law ( and big whole life friend of mum acting like sisters). There are a few tales in that in law side shoot sisters family intermixed with my own direct family, ;D that will pass down the generations that say in 150 years will baffle ancestry researches who will never know anything from BMD records or censuses only - even in the computer age. ~~~~ 60 plus years has already passed since that time !! in the post WW2 years still passing down the tales of old in the family by living people ~ me and my 7 years elder brother;D ;D ;D.

Ps. To complicate matters ~ Mums dad, my actual granddad was born 1867 and died 1957 aged 90 and I use to sit on his knee as a kid.- Mum born 1908 spent 12 years of her early life with her granddad born 1844 and told me stories from his time as a kid and her dads. Now its 2017 - mind boggles
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 14:20 GMT (UK) »
And sometimes a story is deliberately fabricated, to throw people off the scent.

Take the story, for instance, that the King-Spooner surname came about because a Mrs Spooner, after being widowed, remarried a Mr King, and the children were unfortunately named King-Spooner.

I have relatives who have had this story handed down to them through the family, and it has thrown their researches completely off course, because it is pure fabrication. In this case, it appears that it was fabricated to cover up a potentially bigamous marriage.

Happy to share my researches on this point with any other King-Spooner descendants by private message on this site. Not everyone is persuaded by what I have got, but the documentation all seems to point in the same direction to me.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright