Author Topic: Family legends that turn out to be nonsense  (Read 34680 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Family legends that turn out to be nonsense
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 23:56 BST (UK) »
My Mum, the only one in her mostly red-headed family to be born with jet black hair, was told she must have inherited her hair colour from her Spanish ggg-grandmother.   (This is one of the reasons I started researching my family history.)   Well, the Spanish grandmother turned out to be an Italian great-grandfather - a rogue who fathered her grandmother out of wedlock!  I would never have found him if she hadn’t helpfully named him on her marriage certificate.

He was one of my more interesting ancestors.  After arriving in England as a mariner, he became a boarding house keeper, then a pawnbroker, and finally a ship owner, who had amassed a fortune by the time of his death at age 91, outliving three wives - and at least one mistress.

It goes to show that these family stories are worth checking out!

Arkay

There isn't a Wright or a Da Costa amongst that lot is there?  The story is very similar to mine, but for the life of me I can't find anything out about g.grandfather.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 31 March 11 00:04 BST (UK) »
Another story was that one of my 2 x g.grandfather's drank all his wife's fortune and then died.  The story goes that the eldest children all had private education (we're talking first half of 1800s here) but after his drinking away the money, the other children didn't get a good education which was why the first children spoke very well, and the others didn't. 

Well he did die of Congestive apoplexy caused by excessive drinking, so that part's correct, but there is no suggestion some of his children were privately educated.  I think what is more probable, is that the first 4 children who were born in London and Hampshire, spoke with a southern accent and although the others were born in Leicester, they were very young when their father died, so when the family moved to Manchester, the young ones picked up a northern accent.  So to northern cousins the older children would have sounded "posh".

Offline arkay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 31 March 11 17:57 BST (UK) »
No, sorry Lizzie - Mine were Benussi and Evans.
Travis, Earnshaw, Wild, Hibbert, Warren, Leech - Ashton-under-Lyne
Mills, Fallows - Middleton
Pryce, Evans - Welshpool, Mgy, Wales
Davies - Criggion, Shropshire
Whittaker, Evans, Benussi - Liverpool
Price, Whittaker - Great Crosby
Atherton - Frodsham, Cheshire
Riley - Huddersfield area, Yorkshire

Offline Roecoyle

• RootsChat Member
  • Granny Maggie Milne(ms McKay)1883-1964
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 01 April 11 01:39 BST (UK) »
My granny Maggie McKay was orphaned by the time she was 5 years old and family
legend has her mother and father being killed in a horse and trap accident and
Maggie being raised by a bishop in Ilse of Sky or Avoc in the Black Ilse, on checking
records it transpires that her father William died in 1887 with a medical condition
and her mother Ann died in 1888 also with  a medical condition and Maggie being
raised by an old lady called Ann Smith in New Pitsligo Aberdeen.!
It makes me wonder where these stories originate from.
Aberdeenshire, Caithness, New Pitsligo Areas.
McKay, MacKay
Riach
Wilson
Falconer
Gibb
McLeod
Glennie
Hanton
Milne..
Glasgow,West lothian,Airdrie.
Edwards
Pitt
Duncan
Campbell
Milne
McKay.
England. London.
Deddyhn, McKay.
USA. New York.
Milne
Israel
Diddyhm ?
Deddyhn
McKay.

Offline snaptoo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • Mum & Dad on their wedding day 10th October 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 03 April 11 15:03 BST (UK) »
Like "snap" best, if that's OK for the future? 
Great username, either way  :)
(By the way, have ancestors from Weston-super-Mare, around 1900-1920, maybe we should compare notes?!)

HI Mrs T! Sorry, I forgot all about this thread until yesterday :-[ :-[ then, when I had almost finished typing reply my internet went down >:( >:(

snap is fine by me, the only one that I do not like is snappy >:( but I will answer to anything else - within reason of course ;D My user name comes from my love of photography!

snaptoo
RIP Sept 1948-Dec 2016
Deane - Gloucester
Deane - Weston super mare area

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 03 April 11 15:44 BST (UK) »
Nonsense? 
There's often a grain of truth somewhere, but it can take some finding.

My GGGGmother was an Abbott, and it was handed down in several branches of the family that the first member of that family in Ireland was a brother of George Abbot, archbishop of Canterbury, who was sent to Dublin as Master of the Rolls.

My father's cousin investigated and found that no Abbot(t) has ever held that office.  She did find John Abbott, brewer and steward to the Inns of Court.  A master at rolling the barrels, perhaps?  I can imagine someone saying "your grandpapa had something to do with the law courts"; the story was then embellished with every retelling, John rising rapidly through the ranks until he reached the highest legal office in the land.

More recently I discovered there was a George Abbott brewery in Canterbury.  So it seems likely John was just carrying on the family business.  From "brewer, of Canterbury" to "Archbishop of Canterbury" is but a small step for a determined myth-maker.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 17:47 BST (UK) »
I had a weightlifter in my family. Told by nan. Have never found such a fact.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 19:01 BST (UK) »
My gran told several stories that turned out not to be true:

Story: Her father went out to China with the Sassoon family and was vet to the Imperial stables
Fact: Her father did go to China and was a vet. No connection found to the Sassoon family and certainly no connection to the Imperial stables which would have been in Peking not Shanghai where he was.

Story: He came in from work one day, and suddenly dropped down dead while ringing the bell for tea.
Fact: He came in drunk from work, had a row with his wife about his drinking & gambling habits, drank a bottle of poison - and then dropped down dead.

Story: On their return to England they lived in a big house where they often entertained the local Army Officers
Fact: On their return to England her mother helped out in the family pub next to the Army Barracks
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline Hanford

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 20:06 BST (UK) »
I was always told my great great grandfather either built or designed Kennington Oval and for his efforts he was invited for tea with the Duchy of Cornwall and had a walk around the gardens with the King.... 
He didn't  ::) ... He built houses for the poor in Kensington, and as for the rest, probably not true either! Still, I like to believe it is  ;D ;D

His son was apparently Lord Mayor of Lambeth, but after asking the council to look into it they found no record of him at all  ::) ;D