Author Topic: McDowell/Patterson  (Read 13406 times)

Offline Jamesf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James McDowell or Patterson
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 June 05 21:02 BST (UK) »
Yes please

Thanks

James
Ferguson, Carmichael, Patterson, Carruthers, Phimister, Jolly

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 June 05 17:10 BST (UK) »
hi James

All I have been able to find is a James Pattison living with a Jane Bell children Jane and Robert Pattison in Dunaghy Antrim .

Any help

Steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Strathaven

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 July 05 13:56 BST (UK) »
This association of McDowell and or Patterson intrigues me. My Irish descendants were from Newtonards in County Down Gt.Gt.Grandfather William Paterson. My Gt.Grandfather Hugh Paterson from Ballyhenry in the parish of Newtownards was born in 1825 and came to Glasgow in the 1840s ( a handloom weaver who set himself up in business with a Beaming Shop in the east-end of the city. As for McDowall. My mother spoke much of an Aggie or Agnes McDowall - believe it or not she gave birth to eleven sets of twins (that must be a record) although not all survived. I once possessed a photograph of she and her husband but sadly missing from my archive now. I expect you know that the town of Paterson, New Jersey was named in honour of a William Paterson who came to the USA as a child with his parents. He was a clever lad who became a lawyer and a senator and had something to do with the framing of the constitution of the USA which is why he was honoured in that way. I have reason to believe that my Gt.Gt. Grandfather is of that bloodline but have never been able to prove. The Mormon Temple Library in Arizona will confirm the details of William Paterson and his claim to fame through his activities in the US government and the naming of the town Paterson in his honour.

Offline Strathaven

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 July 05 14:24 BST (UK) »
In case it is of any interest: Alexander Titteringtonborn Kilwarlin 24 April, 1810 married Anne Jane Bell. The said Alexander died 22 May, 1890. There were three children of the union namely William John born 23 March 1839, Jemima 6 April 1842, Edward Knox 27 July, 1844. The said Alexander is interred at Kilwalin Moravian Church Cemetery ocated between Hillsborough and Moira with two of his issue namely William John and Edward Knox. Alexander's wife namely, Anne Jane nee Bell is buried with Jemima in Warriston Cemetery, Edinburgh. The family address at the time of the births mentioned above was Bow Street, Lisburn.

Offline saz1401

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 July 05 22:33 BST (UK) »
These are the Agnes Mcdowell births shown on BIVRI

MCDOWELL, Agnes   Bir   1866   Irel   Down
Fa:   Robert MCDOWELL
Mo:   Jane MCCONKEY

MCDOWELL, Agnes   Bir   1868   Irel   Antr
Fa:   Andrew MCDOWELL
Mo:   Nancy TATE

MCDOWELL, Agnes Mary   Bir   1868   Irel   Down
Fa:   Thomas MCDOWELL
Mo:   Deborah Jane BUSBY

MCDOWELL, Agnes Munn   Bir   1868   Irel   Down
Fa:   George MCDOWELL
Mo:   Ellen MUNN

MCDOWELL, Agnes   Bir   1869   Irel   Antr
Fa:   Henry MCDOWELL
Mo:   Sarah DUNCAN

MCDOWELL, Agnes Jane   Bir   1870   Irel   Antr
Fa:   Hugh MCDOWELL
Mo:   Margaret Ann GAMBLE

MCDOWELL, Agnes   Bir   1872   Irel   Antr
Fa:   Thomas MCDOWELL
Mo:   Agnes MAGINNIS

MCDOWELL, Agnes Ann   Bir   1874   Irel   Down
Fa:   William John MCDOWELL
Mo:   Margaret MAXWELL

and Agnes marriages from BIVRI

MCDOWELL, Agnes   Marr   1848   Irel      
Sp:   Hamilton CHERRY

MCDOWELL, Agnes   Marr   1850   Irel   Antr   Carric
Sp:   John MILBURNE

MCDOWELL, Agnes   Marr   1853   Irel   Down   Bangor
Sp:   Adam BAIRD

MCDOWELL, Agnes   Marr   1856   Irel   Antr   Temple
Sp:   John DONALDSON

Dont know if it is of any use to you ;D

saz
antrim, donegore, ballycraigy, doagh, ballysavage,  carnmoney, ballyhenry, belfast, mallusk, hydepark names - twigg, gault, robinson, stevenson, todd, kirkpatrick, porter, mayne, topping, McDowell, douglas

Offline kcloscar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 18 November 05 02:07 GMT (UK) »
Ahhhh.....Agnes McDowell married John Milburn, who I am related to.  If there is anyone who has information on this family, please contact me.
thanks so much kc

Offline Strathaven

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 20 November 05 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi There!

All I know is that the Agnes or Aggie McDowall or M'Dole on my family tree gave birth to eleven sets of twins - not all of which survived. I once possessed a photograph of Aggie and her husband (whose name I do not know) but foolishly destroyed it years ago. I don't quite know where she fits in to my Paterson/McMillan or Mullen Irish connections. My great grandfather was namely, Hugh Paterson of Ballyhenry (Weaver) bor 1825. I wonder if any of this helps you.

Robert Paterson Currie

Offline Jamesf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McDowell/Patterson
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 September 09 20:51 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information on Jane McDowell b1828. She had a son James b1846 who was adopted (I think) by Jane's eventual husband (Robert Patterson) and changed his name to Patterson.
From the LDS website Jane was born in Comber and from Army records James was born in Newtonards

The LDS website state James christened on 5th April 1846 but Army records would make his birth as June 1846

In June 1864 he received a Conditional Discharge from the Royal North Down Rifle Regiment of Militia in order to enlist in the army. In the Militia he was No.2332 Private James Patterson.
He enlisted at Belfast in the 96th Regiment of Foot for a period of ten years in July 1864. Private No787 he was 18 years and 1 month
Ferguson, Carmichael, Patterson, Carruthers, Phimister, Jolly

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: McDowell/Patterson
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 13 September 09 20:41 BST (UK) »
I think church records should become all important for your search. if i think of something i will come back, in the meantime please look at comberonline.com and consider signing the quest book, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide