Author Topic: Purchase of Parish Records  (Read 6162 times)

Offline lyraea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Purchase of Parish Records
« on: Thursday 31 March 11 07:54 BST (UK) »
Decvon Parich Records / Registers

Can anyone tell me please whether you can purchase parish records anywhere - CD, Fiche - i don't mind which.

The parishes I am interested in in Devon are:
Stockland
Collumpton
Churchstanton
Yarcombe
Clayhiddon

Thanks
Goulding,  Summerhayes,  Needham,  Pitcher,  Symes,  Mulholland,  Harman,  Gear,  Lane,   Millbourne,  MacInnes,  Frost,  Hancock,  Westacott, Rice,  Peisley

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Purchase of Parish Records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 March 11 08:24 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the Devon Family History Society?

www.devonfhs.org.uk

They sell booklets of transcriptions.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 March 11 09:20 BST (UK) »
Look at the Devon OPCs. They have many villages online and will do look ups for you. just an example I wanted help with two names in Ottery St Mary in the 1700s and I had an email with BMDS by return which was very helpful.
I also joined the Devon Family History Society and through them you can get print outs of records they have for a certain name . It does not include all dates  but again I had pages of stuff for them. I think it cost me about £8 and it came by post. They were very helpful and the members pages have a great deal of content.
It does depend though on whether your village has been done . On the Devon OPC site you can see what villages have been done and are given a contact address usually email.
I'm sure if you go down these routes you will get a fair bit of info.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline lyraea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 March 11 10:19 BST (UK) »
I had a look at the DFHS but couldn't find anything for the parishes I wanted - of course I could have just been looking in the wrong place.

Also regarding the Devon OPCs - none of the parishes I listed below have a link to any OPCs so as far as I can see there is no assistance for those yet.

It is interesting becuse I saw someone who had written in a post on some website (may have beeb this one - I have looked at so many today) that she had a copy of the fiche for stockland.  In all my searches today I could find nowhere that sold anything like that.

Anyway I appreciate your help and I will keep looking.   I have a similar issue with the GLS and SOM areas although there is more on line for these two Counties than for Devon.   

Thanks
Goulding,  Summerhayes,  Needham,  Pitcher,  Symes,  Mulholland,  Harman,  Gear,  Lane,   Millbourne,  MacInnes,  Frost,  Hancock,  Westacott, Rice,  Peisley

Offline terryleaman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 March 11 11:01 BST (UK) »
You say you couldn't find what you wanted on Devon FHS website, have a look at:
http://www.devonfhs.org.uk/parishbooks.htm

OR go to the shop at
http://www.devonfhs.org.uk/shop/ 
and enter the parish name in the search box on the right hand side
Hooper- Torquay & Exbourne
Stevenson- Plymouth & Lincolnshire
Vivian- Cornwood & London

General Torquay local history- OPC for Torquay

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 March 11 11:37 BST (UK) »
Devon FHS:

Cullompton Baptisms, books C131A, C131B, C131C and C131D
Cullompton Marriages, M131, P131
Cullompton Deaths T131

Clayhidon, C105, N105, P105, T105

Churchstanton C099, P099, T099 (incomplete coverage)

Stockland C402A, C402B, M402, P402, T402

Yarcombe C487, M487, P487, T487

All found from the parishbooks page of the website
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 April 11 07:38 BST (UK) »
To answer your original question - it is possible to buy fiche of parish registers from the Devon Record Office. This is especially useful for baptisms & burials pre 1813 and marriages pre 1754. To obtain a quote, go to http://www.devon.gov.uk/record_office.htm and see the contact details on the RH side of the page. If you do purchase any fiche, you might want to consider (please) joining the OPC project. http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/OPCproject.html

Devon Parich Records / Registers

Can anyone tell me please whether you can purchase parish records anywhere - CD, Fiche - i don't mind which.

The parishes I am interested in in Devon are:
Stockland
Collumpton
Churchstanton
Yarcombe
Clayhiddon

Thanks
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline lyraea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 April 11 11:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your help with this.    I have not been able to reply until now but appreciate your taking the time to provide the above information.   I will certainly follow up on all provided.

Offline jeanffrench

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Churchstanton parish records - index
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 03:03 BST (UK) »
Clarson, Clampett