Author Topic: Center family of Blairgowrie  (Read 20968 times)

Offline t1m

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Center family of Blairgowrie
« on: Thursday 31 March 11 11:17 BST (UK) »
armagh20 wrote:
Hello Tim
I am born and bred in Blairgowrie,but left Blair a long time ago,I found this ref to the Blairgowrie Book by accident I was going to do some family research for my wife but?? that can wait.
My surname is Center my grandfather had a Smithy in the town,in Croft Lane,long gone,there was also a big house on the right hand side down Croft lane towards the Wellmeadow,have you come across any reference to the Center Family,early 1900s
There was also a house owned by the family down towards Rosemount,the Gatelodge.
Any information about my family I would be very gratefull.
Geo Center

I thought it best to start a new thread for you instead of sidetracking Boomeranger's thread on the Robertson family.  You also might get better response than I can give you if the name of your family is in the topic title.

Unfortunately, I'm not Blairgowrie born.  I was raised "up the glen" (near Kirkmichael), and went to school and spent money in the shops at Pitlochry.  I only moved to Blairgowrie a few years ago.

My maternal ancestors originally come from Aberdeenshire (we believe), then spent a couple of generations in Angus (Forfarshire) before my great grandfather, James Davidson, moved to Blairgowrie in 1913 and opened a butcher's shop.  He happened to be located on Perth Street, on the corner with Croft Lane (where Heart of Blair was at the time the Google street views were made), and he lived above the shop before renting a house on Newton Lane in later years.  It seems he was a popular butcher, as I've been told by a few older members of the town that they would always be sent to buy some meat from "Mr Davidson".  So your grandfather may have bought his Sunday roast from my great-grandfather!

My grandfather worked in the bank opposite, and in later years moved to Sri Lanka (then Ceylon) to work in a bank where my mother was born and raised.  My mother did spend some childhood holidays in Blairgowrie picking berries and spending time with her cousins.  It's possible she knows something of your family, and I will ask, but it isn't a surname I've heard or come across.

I'm sure you will have seen Croft Lane on Google street view.  Sadly it's more car parks than crofts these days -- very functional!

As you'll understand now, my research is focused on the Angus (Monikie and Dundee) area, as well as Aberdeenshire.  So there isn't much I can offer in the way of help for you.  But if there's anything I can do for you here (taking photographs for example), then do let me know.

Tim

PS In the unlikely event that you ever come across a picture with my great grandfather's butcher shop in it, I'd love a copy!  I'll update this thread once I've spoken to my mother.

Offline armagh20

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Center family of Blairgowrie
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 March 11 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Tim
Many thanks for your help,and a new thread is a good idea,I also was sent to get meat from Davidsons butcher shop,and grandfathers Smiddy was in Croft lane, all gone now,The Center,s came from Turiff/New Deer Aberdeenshire.
My father Geo Center used to box and train the youth to box,also was doing keep fit classes opp Quinns old picture house before he died.
I used to live at 75 West George St, I joined the army in 1960,ended up doing 30 years,good life,now living in N.Ireland
If I come across a photo of the shop, I will post to you.
There was photos of the high st on the Blairgowrie site,I am sure that you have looked at them.
Geo

Offline t1m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 April 11 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Geo,

I asked my mother if she had ever heard of the Center family, but unfortunately she hasn't.  I explained about him having a smithy on Croft Lane and so on.  The only thing she suggested was that my great uncle Jack used to own the garage/lock-up behind the butcher shop, and he may have rented that out at some time as a smithy (speculation).  But no information that you really wanted.

I was in the library (coincidentally on Croft Lane) a few days ago, and took the opportunity to look through some photocopied photographs they have in there for anything that might relate to your grandfather's smithy.  There was a photograph of people repairing a cart-wheel, and another of (the same iirc) people making horseshoes, but I don't know what date they were taken, where or even what town -- no indication of whether or not they could have some relation to you.

Also I visited a couple of cemeteries last week and did look out for the Center surname (I don't know if any of your relatives died in Blairgowrie/Rattray), but again nothing turned up.

Tim

Offline armagh20

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 April 11 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Tim
Sorry for the delay in replying to your post,the Center family are buried in the Perth road Cemetery,my mum & Dad, My Grand parents are also buried there but for some reason there is no stone.
I have some photos,I will try and post on here.
Many thanks for your help.
Joe
PS A friend of mine from Blair who I have not seen since 1974 in Hong Kong has been in touch also from Blair,Jim Cockburn,his father & Brother worked in an other good Butchers shop call Irvines on the Perth rd opp where the Coop used to be.
small world!!!

Offline t1m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 April 11 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Geo,

I didn't think you had family who had died in Blair, but I looked on the off chance.

Irvines did better than my family's butcher shop.  It's a little closer to town than where you say it used to be, but still on Perth Road -- I thought it had always been at the same location.  They expanded the shop a year or two ago, and seems to be doing very well.

Tim

Offline armagh20

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Tim
I tried to gain access to the Blairgowrie paper I have quite a few photos I would like to post,but it would not accept my password,I will try and post a photo of 1947/8 taken at Davie Park,my mother is 3rd from the left,4th from the left is my Aunt Nan Drummond & 7th from the left is my Aunt Cathy Young.

Regards
Joe
Another Blairgowrie Primary School Photo,this photo may have been taken at the school sports field out the Perth road,the first one may also have been taken there.
Can any one put names to faces?

Offline armagh20

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 April 11 17:50 BST (UK) »
My father, George Center with his Granny at The Lodge Blair House 1912
Where is The Lodge Blair House?

This is a photo of my Dad Geo Center with his Gran at The Lodge Blair House in 1912?
I have always thought this was down the Coupar Angus Rd towards Rosemount,my Cousin Davie Young is sure that it is just before the tennis courts on the Coupar Angus Road,he recognises the door & surroundings ,can any one verify this?
Joe

Offline armagh20

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 April 11 18:00 BST (UK) »
My father Geo Center 1928 Fly weight (8st)

Offline armagh20

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 April 11 17:45 BST (UK) »
A school photo could be Blairgowrie  Primary School or church,1918-20s My father George or his brother Robert or sister Belle, could be in this old photo?
can any one put names to the faces?