Author Topic: John and Mary Roberts  (Read 3697 times)

Offline john ashley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John and Mary Roberts
« on: Friday 01 April 11 17:45 BST (UK) »
John Roberts married Mary Lloyd in Corwen in 1772 and are my great X 3 grandparents. They lived at Ty Cerrig Corwen where they were until  they moved to Clegir Mawr Gwyddelwern around 1800.
I would like to find the burial of both John Roberts who may have married twice and Mary Roberts who probably predeceased her husband - which could be at Corwen or more likely at Gwyddelwern. This information would lead to real progress.
I am hoping some kind Rootschatter will be able to assist.
Diolch yn Fawr - John Ashley.
Census Information is Crown Copyright,from Nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John and Mary Roberts
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 April 11 19:14 BST (UK) »

John,

I am sorry to say I have no current access to the PRs,  so I cannot help with your specific queries;  but I hope that you are well aware of the work done on this family by the late Hafina Clwyd (d. 14 March 2011).  It may be worth putting up a couple of quotes from / links to posts she made referring to them on the RootsWeb Clwyd mailing list:

1.  11 March 2005:

My list of great grandparents did not ring a bell with anyone so let's try naming my great great grandparents. Here are the 16:-
7] John Roberts (1796-) son of Robert Roberts, Ty Cerrig Pencoed, Corwen. Farmed at Clegir Mawr, Melin y Wig. Buried at Gwyddelwern.

8] Jane Humphreys (1796-1870) wife of the above daughter of David Humphreys

(hypertext link)

2.  2 Sept. 2008:

The Hugh Roberts son of John and Catherine Roberts (nee Owens) of Clegir Mawr was my great grandfather. ... I have quite a lot of info on these families for anyone interested

(hypertext link)

Hope you compared notes with her about them in times past.  Sad that it's too late now . . . though I am sure that her stepdaughter Dr Lesley Stagg will safeguard the fate of her collected papers.

There also seems to have been a Blythin connection with the Clegir Mawr family (though there may be some differences to reconcile there).  See this website.

Rol

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 April 11 20:55 BST (UK) »

The Clwyd mailing list archive also contains a 2008 health warning about duplicate names in relation to the Roberts of Clegir Mawr, &c.  Here is a link just for the record -- though with any luck you and others interested will have successfully steered through those hazardous shoals by now,  and such problems have become "history".  ;)

Rol

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline john ashley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 April 11 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hello ROL  - many thanks for your posts which do assist me .
Hafina and I shared one set of Great Great Grandparents.
She was aware of some research I undertook about the Roberts families where there is so much confusion including the Blythin website.
I sent her a copy of my findings and further questions  about a fortnight before she passed away. She had told me she was unwell but I did not realise she was so ill and I was extremely sad when I heard of her passing from Doreen and John Jones.
 If you have anything to add I would be most pleased to hear from you.  John.
Census Information is Crown Copyright,from Nationalarchives.gov.uk