Author Topic: James O'Kane Birthdate? Ireland.  (Read 9263 times)

Offline Irish Heart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James O'Kane Birthdate? Ireland.
« on: Friday 01 April 11 21:54 BST (UK) »
I am from the States and know that my great, great grandfather was born near Coleraine (I guess in Macosquin) in the village of Glenhall.  Family states that he was born on Christmas day around 1841.  The year is figured because he was supposed to be 73 when he died in Oklahoma in 1916.  Likewise, he was supposed to have immigrated from Ireland, according to US Census 1910, in 1867.  I am trying to find his exact birth date, parents' names (they were from Ireland too), and exact location of birth, and anything else I can learn.  Please, if anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.    ;D  I am updating this after talking with relatives.  The family Bible has his birth date listed as Dec. 25, 1839.  He tombstone in 1916 says that he was 73 when he died.  He married in the states in Nehmeha, Kansas to Mary J. O'Riley (or O'Reilly) who's parents were born in Ireland.  He had a brother named Daniel who was living with James in the 1870 US census.  Daniel was 28 that year when James was listed as 26 years old that same year.  I do not know if he had a brother John.  However, there is a "John O'Kane" who lived in Kansas who had a brother Daniel as well.  John actually had his parents listed (unlike Daniel and James).  His parents were John O'Kane and Mary Dempsey O'Kane.  I am at a brick wall if I do not find James' sibling's names.  I need to know if he had a brother named John or if John and Mary O'Kane of Ireland had a son named James.
 :-[  Please, be patient with me, I am still trying to learn how to comment on RootsChat.  Therefore, to be on the safe side, I will tell you a deep gratitude of thanks for any who help by advising me or giving me information.  Thank You all.
Thank you:)
O'Kane, James, b. abt 1841  d.1916

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James O'Kane Birthdate? Ireland.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 April 11 23:00 BST (UK) »
Glenhall is a townland in the parish of Macosquin not far from the town of Coleraine.
Some U.S. marriage and death certificates list names of parents- have you checked these to see if such details are mentioned?

If he arrived in New York in 1867 you can check www.castlegarden.org but early manifests give little personal details- usually name, age, occupation and country of origin.

Do you know what religion James O'Kane was? There are only 2 Kanes living in Glenhall in 1901- a widow Bridget and unmarried daughter (both Catholic) but since O'Kane is a common name these 2 women might not be connected to your family. By 1911 there are no Kanes/O'Kanes in Glenhall.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Somerset/Glenhall/1516903

Link to duplicate post on U.S. board:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=524289.new#new
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 April 11 07:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   The Griffiths Valuation (1859) has two Kanes (O'Kanes) in the townland (small administrative area) of Glenhall, John renting a 13 Acre farm and Michael renting a 7 acre farm.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
  • The O'Kane Family Garvagh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 April 11 15:10 BST (UK) »
There is an Edward O'Kane in Ringrash,Macosquin in the 1831 census on the billmacafee site.

http://www.billmacafee.com/1831census/1831derrycensusindex.pdf

There is also a reference to Kane/O'Kane of Glenhall on the Irish GenWeb site here...

http://www.irelandgenweb.com/surnames/registryK-L.htm
O'Kane, O'Mullan: Garvagh Derry
Bowe: Currabaha ,Waterford
McManus: Aghagallon ,Antrim
McGowan: Drumshambo, Leitrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 April 11 15:26 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, having threads looking for the same people on different boards has meant information posted on one isn't seen by people reading the other one.

The U.S. thread (link posted earlier) has link to Find-A-Grave entry for James O'Kane with the details "he was born in Glenhall County Derry near Coldrain, Ireland. He died at age 73 years."

The rest of the sad story is recounted here-
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=26229208

Offline Irish Heart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 April 11 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   The Griffiths Valuation (1859) has two Kanes (O'Kanes) in the townland (small administrative area) of Glenhall, John renting a 13 Acre farm and Michael renting a 7 acre farm.

Regards

It is possible that James had a brother named John who had parents named John and Mary (Dempsey) O'Kane.  I do know that James had a brother named Daniel and therefore, James named one of his sons, Daniel.  James had 12 children in the U.S. and of the 12, 8 were living at the time of 1910 census.  By, 1917, James had 7 living children of the 12 born to he and his wife, Mary.  I thank you for this information as I will use it during my back-tracking adventure.  ;)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 April 11 18:24 BST (UK) »
O'Kane/Kane and Dempsey are very, very common surnames in the area- and the Christian names you've mentioned (James, John, Mary, Daniel) also- so it's best not to assume all these people are definately related to you without concrete evidence.

Offline Irish Heart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 April 11 18:25 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, having threads looking for the same people on different boards has meant information posted on one isn't seen by people reading the other one.

The U.S. thread (link posted earlier) has link to Find-A-Grave entry for James O'Kane with the details "he was born in Glenhall County Derry near Coldrain, Ireland. He died at age 73 years."

The rest of the sad story is recounted here-
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=26229208

It is a sad story but according to my Great Grandmother, who cleaned the home after the incident, there was something not quiet right about how the inquest was done nor the story.  What I have studied, there are many questions that if in a court of law now, sure would place an Ace Detective on the case.  For that matter, DNA sure would be checked on weapons, etc.  It is sad that we didn't have such technology then.  The testimony sure wasn't enough to evidence "who did it" :o - quiet a bit of speculation.

Offline Irish Heart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 April 11 18:28 BST (UK) »
O'Kane/Kane and Dempsey are very, very common surnames in the area- and the Christian names you've mentioned (James, John, Mary, Daniel) also- so it's best not to assume all these people are definately related to you without concrete evidence.

Thank you.  That is why I depend on the U.S. Census and locations at the time of the census.  The backtracking is much work when the only listing in the Families' Bible is James and his wife and their children.  One of the census did list Daniel as "brother" in regards to James when Daniel was living with James at the time.