Author Topic: James O'Kane Birthdate? Ireland.  (Read 9328 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James O'Kane Birthdate? Ireland.
« Reply #18 on: Friday 15 April 16 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hallmark,
Thanks. The Michael who died 18/10/56 looks interesting; especially his beneficiary being Bernard. I shall note it. Is the index the only discoverable information?

Just location, amount etc as per clicking on Image
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline fagivey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 15 April 16 22:57 BST (UK) »
Drumsurn. Sadly not Drumail, Aghadowey.
I shall look into these further anon. Many thanks for the very useful prompt.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 15 April 16 23:01 BST (UK) »
The trouble with these is that they are listed where they died, so if one died in Dublin it is under Dublin!!

Offline fagivey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 17 April 16 01:28 BST (UK) »
O 'Kane of Glenhall-facts from our family tree.
1. John O'Kane of Glenhall is listed as a half brother to Bernard ( a farmer in Drumail, Aghadowey, Co Derry) and Denis.
2. Their father is Michael O'Kane and his father is John O'Kane .
3. Offspring of John O'Kane of Glenhall are listed as Frank, John and Michael ( who married a Teadly from Castleroe).
4. I found that a Michael Kane and a Catherine Teadley had a son, Michael, baptised in St JohnS Parish on 11th January 1857.
5. I found a headstone in St Johns Coleraine for John O'Kane of Glenhall who died on 29th January 1863 aged 39 years and his wife Mary who died ... 1870.
6. This is perhaps Mary Dempsey.
7. Mary Kane's death cert states she died at Glenhall on 29th September 1890 aged 74 and that she was the widow of John O'Kane. Her son John was present at her death.
8. I believe that John's wife Bridget was the Bridget Kane in the 1901 census who died at Glenhall on 14th April 1908.
I hope this is helpful

On a closer inspection: Point 5 above-John's age on the haedstone could be 59 and not 39.

Offline fagivey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 30 April 16 00:24 BST (UK) »
1. John O'Kane of Glenhall is listed as a half brother to Bernard ( a farmer in Drumail, Aghadowey, Co Derry) and Denis.
3. Offspring of John O'Kane of Glenhall are listed as Frank, John and Michael ( who married a Teadly from Castleroe).
4. I found that a Michael Kane and a Catherine Teadley had a son, Michael, baptised in St JohnS Parish on 11th January 1857.
5. I found a headstone in St Johns Coleraine for John O'Kane of Glenhall who died on 29th January 1863 aged 39 years and his wife Mary who died ... 1870.
7. Mary Kane's death cert states she died at Glenhall on 29th September 1870 aged 74 and that she was the widow of John O'Kane. Her son John was present at her death.
8. I believe that John's wife Bridget was the Bridget Kane in the 1901 census who died at Glenhall on 14th April 1908.
I hope this is helpful

On a closer inspection: Point 5 above-John's age on the haedstone could be 59 and not 39.

Offline fagivey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 14:46 BST (UK) »
7. Mary Kane's death cert states she died at Glenhall on 29th September 1870 aged 74 and that she was the widow of John O'Kane. Her son John was present at her death.
I hope this is helpful

I want to correct Point 8:
Please see the Registry of Deeds for 1895 Vol23 Deed Number 53 which I found yesterday. This contains a money loan to Bridget Kane of Glenhall who is described as the Widow of Michael Kane and the mother of Annie Steele, Spinster. So this Bridget Kane who died on 14th April 1908 is actually Michael's widow and the last O'Kane in Glenhall to farm the remaining few acres. This document can be seen on the Family Search/Catalogue website which has now digitised all Deeds in the Dublin Registry Office.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 14:55 BST (UK) »
Why not post a direct link to it to save people having to go searching for it??

Offline fagivey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 15:39 BST (UK) »
Sorry but I don't know how to do that.