Author Topic: Benjamin Davies, Troedyraur b 1792  (Read 15664 times)

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
Benjamin Davies, Troedyraur b 1792
« on: Friday 01 April 11 22:53 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to find anything on the birth, first marriage and knowledge of his daughter Sarah for some time.  I wonder if you can help in any way please?

Benjamin Davies, Troedyraur b ca 1792 was a weaver. Benjamin left for the Rhondda valleys probably after the death of his 1st wife and taking with him his young son Thomas who according to his gravestone was born 30 Jun 1815.  In Benjamin's will, he died 30 Sep 1869, he names all of his children and Thomas and Sarah Davies, his son and daughter from his 1st marriage.  Up until the time of finding his will, I had no knowledge of Sarah, so I don't think she travelled to the Rhondda with Benjamin and Thomas, as I believe she may have been a baby and was left with relatives.

Benjamin married as a widower and clothier, Susannah DAVID in 20 Jul 1822 at Llantrisant church, Gamorgan. Susannah was of Graigddu Farm, Dinas, Llantrisant and the daughter of Morgan DAVID.

Benjamin was Non-conformist and built a chapel at Dinas prior to his death. His son Thomas was deeply involved with Soar Baptist chapel at Penygraig, Rhondda.

I do hope that you are able to shed light on this elusive family.

Many thanks,
WALES: Bevan, David, Thomas in area of Ystradyfodwg [Rhondda] Llangeinor and Bettws [Glam] Glamorgan Farms of interest: Graigddu, Gwaunadda, Llwynypia, Maesllan, Penygraig and Cwmsaerbren | RAYMOND, St Davids Pembrokeshire; OWEN St Davids Pembrokeshire; JONES Upper Neath Valley;
ENGLAND: Somerset, Yatton, Kenn, Portishead, Weston-i-Gardano, Clevedon & Bristol. Names: Nethway, Perris, Knight, Gosling, Payne.

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Davies, Troedyraur b 1792
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 04:45 BST (UK) »
Hello  :)

According to this site, Sarah was Baptised at Horeb Independent Chapel, Llandysul on 26th April 1819:

http://www.clan-davies.org/webtrees/index.php

There are a couple of possibilities for Sarah at Troedyraur in 1841; have you seen any that seem likely?

Kind Regards
Morgan

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hello  :)

According to this site, Sarah was Baptised at Horeb Independent Chapel, Llandysul on 26th April 1819:

http://www.clan-davies.org/webtrees/index.php

There are a couple of possibilities for Sarah at Troedyraur in 1841; have you seen any that seem likely?

Kind Regards
Morgan

Hello Morgan,
The clan-davies website is that of my cousins and the information was provded by me as a 'possible' - I am still not satified that that is Sarah's baptism though.  I would be most interested for those in Troedyraur,.

Cheers
WALES: Bevan, David, Thomas in area of Ystradyfodwg [Rhondda] Llangeinor and Bettws [Glam] Glamorgan Farms of interest: Graigddu, Gwaunadda, Llwynypia, Maesllan, Penygraig and Cwmsaerbren | RAYMOND, St Davids Pembrokeshire; OWEN St Davids Pembrokeshire; JONES Upper Neath Valley;
ENGLAND: Somerset, Yatton, Kenn, Portishead, Weston-i-Gardano, Clevedon & Bristol. Names: Nethway, Perris, Knight, Gosling, Payne.

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 22:39 BST (UK) »

Ty Car? Troedyraur

Thomas Davies age 60  Ag Lab
Sarah Davies age 20

both born in County

HO107 Piece 1377 Book 24 ED 14 Folio 9 Page 10

Howan/Hawen ? Troedyraur

Ebenezer Deans age 55  Farmer
Rashel Deans age 40
Sarah Davies age 20  Female  Servant

All born in County
HO107 Piece 1377 Book 24 ED 15 Folio 21 Page 6

Sorry but the placenames are difficult to read  :-\

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 07:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for those, Morgan.

I will scroll through Troedyraur and see what I come up with. 

If the Cardiganshire records had all survived life would be much simpler in that way wouldn't it? 

I approciate what you have done for me.  Thank you.

Offline stokessquelch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 May 13 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi
Are you still interested in Benjamin Davies?
I worship at St Michael's Troedyraur and have access to the parish records and very willing to look up records if you are still interested.
Let me know.
Stokessquelch

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 May 13 17:50 BST (UK) »
Oh yes please!  I am still interested in Benjamin and his daughter Sarah [ see my 1st posting on this below] Benjamin was in Ystradyfodwg [which became the Rhondda] by 1841 census, so they are not in Troedyraur at that time. In my 1st posting I wrote ' In Benjamin's will, he died 30 Sep 1869, he names all of his children and Thomas and Sarah Davies, his son and daughter from his 1st marriage.' I should have said that his 2nd marriage produced another 6 children, so when he named all of his children in his will he included at the end Thomas and Sarah Davies.

Very many thanks stokessquelch
Jill

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 17:32 BST (UK) »
Dear Stokessquelch,

Benjamin Davies, Troedyraur b ca 1792 was a weaver.  A son Thomas who according to his gravestone was born 30 Jun 1815.    I believe that her mother died in childbirth and that Sarah as a baby and was left with relatives, whilst her father with his son aged about 4 or 5 went to seek work,ie circa 1820. Work of course in the Rhondda proved a good place to go. Benjamin may well have worked at the Mill in Ystradyfodwg at first before marrying a girl from Dinas.

If the Parish Registers of Troedyraur hold anything I would be so pleased to learn this. I would think that Benjamin's father would have also been involved in weaving. 

There are unlikely to be any baptisms as Benjamin and Thomas were strongly Non-Conformist.  Very many thanks.

Jill

Offline strong01

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 01:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have found a Mrs.Margaret Salatheil dob. 1862 Troedyraur  m. Ebenezer Saltheil dob.1867 Porth,Rhondda,Glamorgan in a 1901 Wales Census; Parish:Ystradfodwyg, Ecc Parish:Cwmparc St George,Glamorgan.
In the 1911 Wales census ( Dumfries St,Troerchy RSO,Glamorganshire) they have a Elizabeth Davies -widow,dob. 1835 visiting as a non specific visitor.This Elizabeth Davies claims to be born at Merthyr ,Glamorgan. Maybe an aunt? & could be from Benjamin.
I think Mrs.Margaret Salatheil was a Davies - looking for a possible sister Janet dob.1841.
May be worth a look. Since I was not familiar with Troedyraur I thought I would research.