Author Topic: Benjamin Davies, Troedyraur b 1792  (Read 9803 times)

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Davies, Troedyraur b 1792
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help. The only Margaret Davies that I have likely is one born 1872 Ystradyfodwg. Strangely I was looking at something only yesterday and saw Salathiels.  Must have been census.
WALES: Bevan, David, Thomas in area of Ystradyfodwg [Rhondda] Llangeinor and Bettws [Glam] Glamorgan Farms of interest: Graigddu, Gwaunadda, Llwynypia, Maesllan, Penygraig and Cwmsaerbren | RAYMOND, St Davids Pembrokeshire; OWEN St Davids Pembrokeshire; JONES Upper Neath Valley;
ENGLAND: Somerset, Yatton, Kenn, Portishead, Weston-i-Gardano, Clevedon & Bristol. Names: Nethway, Perris, Knight, Gosling, Payne.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline David Hankey

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 February 14 17:58 GMT (UK) »
yattonharry, I have Davies b 1816 from Troedyraur in my tree but, unfortunately so far, no Benjamin.

The earliest I have is Daniel Davies who was born, lived and died in Troedyraur. He married Esther Jones in 1836 and Sarah James in 1839. By the 1871 Census he had become a Master Shoemaker.

I understand his father was Daniel Davies but no details I'm afraid. I wonder if he was a brother of Benjamin?

I hope this helps rather than hinders.

Regards, David

Duroe, Duro, Durow, Derbyshire
Freegard, Freeguard, Wiltshire & South Wales
Hankey, Daresbury, Cheshire
Hopkins, Banbury, Oxfordshire
Malson, Newport, Monmouthshire
Wait, Yoxall, Staffordshire

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 17:44 BST (UK) »

Great and wonderful news! I have been searching and searching the NLW Newspapers for the Death of my Benjamin Davies for several hours and found not a thing, and then I tried advanced search and hey ho it came up first!

On the 30th ult [Sept 1869] Mr Benjamin Davies of Graigddu House, Dinas, formerly of [wonderful words those!] Howen Farm, Troedyaur, Cardiganshire aged 77 years.

I don't suppose that the farm still survives, but does anyone know of this farm please?

WALES: Bevan, David, Thomas in area of Ystradyfodwg [Rhondda] Llangeinor and Bettws [Glam] Glamorgan Farms of interest: Graigddu, Gwaunadda, Llwynypia, Maesllan, Penygraig and Cwmsaerbren | RAYMOND, St Davids Pembrokeshire; OWEN St Davids Pembrokeshire; JONES Upper Neath Valley;
ENGLAND: Somerset, Yatton, Kenn, Portishead, Weston-i-Gardano, Clevedon & Bristol. Names: Nethway, Perris, Knight, Gosling, Payne.

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 17:52 BST (UK) »
Great news indeed!

See my earlier reply #3 where I listed Sarah Davies at Howen Farm.

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 18:06 BST (UK) »
I am sorry Morganllan but I don't seem to be able to find this - probably tired after my searching on NLW

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 18:13 BST (UK) »
Sorry reply #4  :-)

Howan/Hawen ? Troedyraur

Ebenezer Deans age 55  Farmer
Rashel Deans age 40
Sarah Davies age 20  Female  Servant

All born in County
HO107 Piece 1377 Book 24 ED 15 Folio 21 Page 6

Sorry but the placenames are difficult to read  :-\

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 18:18 BST (UK) »
Ah thanks, I collected a file on the likely Sarah's but I will now look again, at this 1841 Howden.

Offline David Hankey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 20:09 BST (UK) »
Look on googlemap and hone in on Troedyraur and you'll see HAWEN just south of Rhydlewis on the B4334. I dare say it is around there.

Duroe, Duro, Durow, Derbyshire
Freegard, Freeguard, Wiltshire & South Wales
Hankey, Daresbury, Cheshire
Hopkins, Banbury, Oxfordshire
Malson, Newport, Monmouthshire
Wait, Yoxall, Staffordshire

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 22:08 BST (UK) »
Yes thanks David, I did that immediately I had found the newspaper and found the Rhydlewis Chapel at that point.  What a lovely place that looks and the surrounding village. Must discover if the graveyard has been transcribed.

Thanks for the interest and support David.