Author Topic: Haddington Breweries  (Read 20762 times)

Offline Hadd1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Haddington Breweries
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 02 February 12 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Pat,

Thanks for all of that information.

When I am in Haddington next week I will take photographs of the Poldrate for you.

Offline Hadd1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 02 February 12 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Pat,
                The Poldrate is adjacent to 'The Sidegate' in Haddington.  Where the Sidegate runs into the Poldrate there are 2 churches - St Mary's Parish Church (the longest parish church in Scotland) and St Mary's R.C. church - a small church at the beginning of the Poldrate - almost opposite No.8 Poldrate.

I will take pictures of both.

Offline Hadd1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 10 February 12 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Pat, I went to Haddington on Wednesday - not an ideal day for taking photographs - it was very dull, cold and misty.  I have taken a photograph of the house at No.8 Poldrate but this mail site restricts the attached image to 500KB and I cannot send the image.

I knocked on the door at No.8 and spoke to the present occupier - Mr Rowie MacKinnon - he said the house dates from around 1810.  He added that there are six bedrooms and that the ceilings are quite low. 
If you would prefer that I send the photographs by post - I have set up a temporary e-mail site
*  If you agree, you could respond to this and on receipt of your personal e-mail I can request your home address from my normal "yahoo" mailbox.  I have taken other photographs which I can send once I have heard from you.
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Click on the small green scroll to the left of the post of the person you wish to contact

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Hadd1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 April 12 12:51 BST (UK) »
Could Pat Snow please contact Jim Lawrie at the e-mail address you hold as I have more information on the Blessingtons.

Offline Beard grandchild

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and I, Mablethorpe, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 08 April 12 13:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the message. I will do it at once.

Pat
Names;- Beard -Worcestershire
Blessington - Burton on Trent/ East Lothian
Snow - Isle of Axholme
Torn - Owston Ferry, Lincolnshire
Gleadle - Lincolnshire
Allen - Nottinghamshire/ Derbyshire
Smith -Nottinghamshire/ Derbyshire

Offline McBean

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 09 May 16 19:31 BST (UK) »
The brewery of John Winton is mentioned in 'Reminiscences of the royal burgh of Haddington and old East Lothian agriculturists' by Martine, John, as follows:-

https://archive.org/details/reminiscencesro02martgoog

Page 69:

MARKET STREET, or, as it was formerly called, the Back Street, extends from Tibbiedale and the Townhouse to Hardgate Street It contains not a few relics of antiquity and of historical interest to Haddingtonians. An old tenement at the west end, and opposite the Tolbooth, was long occupied by John Carfrae, of the Carniehaugh family of Carfraes. He was town treasurer and a bailie of Haddington in his day, as far back as 1780 and aftervards. He was an extensive grocer and merchant. The old house had an outshot projecting into the street, which, from its shape, was called the " saut backet" At Carfrae's death, which occurred about the close of last century, his property was acquired by William Shiells, who for many years carried on a brewery up the close, and brewed "twopenny," "groatum," and strong ale. A new tenement was built some years ago by the late Mr Brown, plumber, and the "saut backet" was demolished. Another brewery on the same side was long carried on by John Winton (" the Earl,") a character in his day, and afterwards by Mrs McBean.

Mrs McBean was 'Catherine Matthew' whose brother Alexander was a writer in Haddington. Her husband John McBean was a Farmer then Brewer and he was a brother-in-law to John Winton, who married his sister Janet McBean.

Catherine Matthew / McBean's father was Andrew Matthew, whose wife was Catherine Newton. Catherine Newton's father was Alexander Newton and her mother was Catherine Shiells. Whether there was a relationship between Catherine Shiells and William Shiells the brewer of Haddington, mentioned above, I do not know. Catherine Newton's sister Isabella Newton married John Yelloweless and their son was William Yellowlees, the portrait artist known as 'The Little Raeburn'. John Yellowlees' sister Elizabeth married Robert Wilson and their daughter Janet Wilson married Samuel Smiles of Haddington - their son was the famous Samuel Smiles, author of 'Self Help' and other books.

I would be interested in any details you may have about this connection as 'Mrs McBean' is a relation.

Offline neb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 06 March 17 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Is HADD1 still around, last used this thread 2012.?
 I am trying to find information on Sidegate Brewery  etc run by John Martine around 1841 and possibly earlier.  John, born in Haddington, was brewing in South Queensferry 1831/32 and possibly longer, but had returned to Haddington by 1841 census. I wondered if he, or anyone could help. I would like to know when he started the Brewery in Sidegate Street and what he called it. Thanks