Author Topic: Haddington Breweries  (Read 20773 times)

Offline Hadd1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Haddington Breweries
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 January 12 20:39 GMT (UK) »
I am presently researching the history of the 14 breweries, 7 maltings and 3 distilleries that existed in Haddington.  I have put together 200 pages so far.
If your grandfather was a maltman in the Poldrate he must have worked at Poldrate Maltings (not Poldrate Mill).  Both of these buildings still stand today.  About 100 yards from the Poldrate was the Sidegate Brewery and maltings (now 7 private houses called 'Brewery Close'.).  Apart from Poldrate Maltings the Westfield maltings (part of) , Newton Port Maltings and Bermaline Maltings still standing.

Of the 14 breweries only 2 buildings still exist - John Winton's Brewery 1790 -1825 (brewery offices and brewers' residence) in town's market street and the former 'Howden's Brewery in the Nungate (now 2 private residences).

Bermaline Maltings still produces malt and malt products - under name of PureMalt Products.

Offline Beard grandchild

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and I, Mablethorpe, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 January 12 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this information, Hadd1. I do have a visit to the Haddington area on my list of places to visit (eventually) and this information will certainly make a visit there more interesting for me.

Thanks  again,

Pat.
Names;- Beard -Worcestershire
Blessington - Burton on Trent/ East Lothian
Snow - Isle of Axholme
Torn - Owston Ferry, Lincolnshire
Gleadle - Lincolnshire
Allen - Nottinghamshire/ Derbyshire
Smith -Nottinghamshire/ Derbyshire

Offline Hadd1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 January 12 14:08 GMT (UK) »
About 12 months ago I compiled a list of all known brewers, distillers, maltsters and coopers in Haddington.  I have checked my list and found that John Blessington is there.  He appeared on the 1888 Haddington voting register.
I normally do research at Haddington every week but the research facility closed on 30 November for 4 months.  When the new facility opens at the end of March I will try and find as much information as I can relating to John Blessington.  I will check the Haddington Valuation Rolls, census records and old copies of the Haddingtonshire Courier as well as the Aberlady birth records.

Regards,
Jim Lawrie.

Offline Hadd1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 January 12 14:10 GMT (UK) »
P.S. Do you know the name of the brewery/maltings where he worked from 1890?

Jim Lawrie

Offline Beard grandchild

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 January 12 15:27 GMT (UK) »
  Hi Jim,

When he moved to Burton on Trent his first job was with a firm called ' Messrs Nunnerley's' according to his obituary report, but he then spent about 33 years with Worthingtons as a foreman maltster.

I believe Nunnerley's was located somewhere near to Burton Bridge - there is a sign on the bridge which actually mentions Nunnerleys, but I've not managed to find out anything about them apart from that.

I've tried to find some sort of link with Haddington and Nunnerleys to see if I could find a reason for him moving his family to that particular town and brewery, but nothing has come up so far.

I do have his birth record - he was born in West Dirleton on September 17th 1855, and was registered by his father as John Blest - as his father 'made his mark' he was obviously illiterate.

I also have him on the 1881 census living with his mother at 8 Poldrate.

I'm not sure exactly when the family moved to Burton as there is no record of them on the 1891 census, and according to my cousin, the family visited Ireland for a while when my grandfather was a young child, so I presume they were there when the census was taken.

The first child of the family born in Burton was Margaret Blessington in 1892.
Cheers,
Pat
Snow - Isle of Axholme
Gleadle - Lincolnshire

Offline Hadd1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 January 12 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat, thanks for that information.  I do not think there would be any connection between Haddington and Burton on Trent.  Probably the reputation of Burton beers was the attraction.
I note he lived at No. 8 Poldrate.  The street is a short one - only 130 yards long.  It is shown as 'Poldrate' on the 1819 map of Haddington.  The 1907 map also shows it as 'Poldrate' as it is also known today.  On the 1893 map it is shown as 'Poldrate Street'.  Assuming he worked at Poldrate Maltings his house was only twenty yards from the maltings.  Working as a maltman was very hard and thirsty work and no doubt he appreciated that the Tyneside Tavern was next door at No.10. 
On one side of Poldrate there today a small infant school and a Church of Scotland retirement home. On the other side where your grandfather lived there are just 2 houses (Nos. 6 and 8. ) the Tyneside Tavern, Poldrate Mill with water wheel and the former Poldrate Maltings behind it.  The Mill and Maltings are now a craft and arts centre.  The remaining building is the 'Waterloo Bistro'.  I stay about 12 miles west of Haddington - when I go again shortly I will take a photograph of the house at No.8 !

Offline Beard grandchild

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 January 12 22:22 GMT (UK) »
That would be brilliant, Jim. Thanks very much. It's so interesting when someone comes up with more information than you've been able to find for yourself.

I did go on a fact finding and searching for places visit to Burton on Trent last year, and although the family house where my grandfather and his siblings grew up has long since gone, I did find the house  my granddad and grandma lived in when they were first married. My granddad followed in his father's footsteps and became a maltster too, working at Worthingtons then moving onto a small brewery called Berry's in Worksop, Notts .

I also found the house that my gt  grandparents lived in after  gt grandfather had retired, and did a very interesting visit to the Brewery Museum there in Burton . The gentleman who took our party around the place had been a brewery worker himself and knew a lot about the job. When I told him about  my grandfather he made sure that he explained all about the malting process to me and also answered one or two other queries for me.

Thanks once again for your interest and help with my family research. It is very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Pat.
Snow - Isle of Axholme
Gleadle - Lincolnshire

Offline Hadd1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat, I note that Margaret. was the first child to be born in Burton.  It would appear she was followed by Hugh and James.  It looks as though Frank, John, Mary and Alice were all born in Scotland.

I think the brewery in Burton was Mr J Nunnerley's.  It is one of the 30 plus breweries listed at Burton on Trent.

Expect to be in Haddington next week.  I will take photographs of the former Poldrate Maltings, Poldrate Mill and the rest of the street.

I will let you know when I have them.

Offline Beard grandchild

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 18:05 GMT (UK) »
John Blessington and Margaret Dolan were married in Feb 1883 at St. Mary's, Haddington, and my grandfather was their first child, Myles Blessington, born Haddington 1884.

Frank, John,Mary and Alice were all born in Haddington too, as you've stated.

My grandfather started work as an apprentice coppersmith in Oldbury, Worcs according to the 1901 census, but by the time he married my grandmother in 1909 he was working for Worthington's Brewery as a maltster.

Around 1925 he relocated to Worksop, Notts as manager of Berry's maltkilns where he remained until his retirement around 1954.

I would be more than happy to see photos of the Poldrate area and it is very kind of you and  much appreciated that you are prepared  to take the trouble to take photos for me.

Cheers,

Pat.
Snow - Isle of Axholme
Gleadle - Lincolnshire