Author Topic: East Sussex Hellingly Hospital Help  (Read 20710 times)

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
Re: East Sussex Hellingly Hospital Help
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 April 11 08:37 BST (UK) »
  I was hoping there might be individual graveyards with lists of occupants in the East Sussex area.  It seems she was only in the hospital 4 days and I am guessing the cemetery would be close to the hospital or close to her home on Pevensey Rd.   If anyone knows of any such lists I would be grateful.

Thank you again
Jean

Try contacting Wealden District Council to see if they have lists or they may be able to tell you where a Hellingly death would be buried although with only 4 days residence I would think she would have been left to family/friends to sort. Just a thought, does it say 4 days on the death cert? If so that is more likely the length of time of medical supervision for that illness not necessarily her time in Hellingly.
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline bhaven

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 April 11 15:33 BST (UK) »
Weldon District Council don't appear to have an email address to enquire although there is a phone number and an address on web page.  As I am in Canada I will see if I can get the info online first.  The death cert. shows her occupation and residence on Pevensey Road so that may be where she was a Companion Housekeeper.  Cause of death stated pneumonia for 4 days.   Its possible that the family she worked for may have looked after things, in their own plot?  The address was 3/21 Pevensey Road, St. Leonards.  Is there a way of finding out who lived there in 1931?

Thank you, Jean
Yorkshire: Myers, Ratcliffe, Crump, Simpson,Boocock,Varo, Gent, Winsby
<br />Co.Durham: Waiting, Steel

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 April 11 15:39 BST (UK) »
There is an email, curiously  ???foodandsafety@wealden.gov.uk  always used to come under parks & gardens
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 April 11 15:52 BST (UK) »
Pneumonia 4 days, doesn't mean she was only at Hellingly for 4 days, just that the illness was diagnosed  and she died within 4 days. As to who lived at Pevensey Rd if anyone on here has a St Leonards Kelly's or similar for that period that should sort the househlder. Might be worth posting it as a seperate look up

Offline a1emslie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 20:24 BST (UK) »
Bev, if you haven't been yet, I live just along the road from the Hellingly church and would be happy to help.
Only busy tomorrow morning.
Annabel.
Jenkins-Hackney(Tottenham),Colchester,Suffolk.
Gamble,Webb,Hall-Norfolk.
Brokenshire,Burt,Mitchell,Chenoweth- Cornwall.
Percival-Northumberland.
Emslie-Aberdeen,Christie,Dempster-Cupar (Fife).
Tyler-Bristol,Adelaide.
Harris-Guernsey.

Offline Gravity

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 April 11 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Annabel - I actually went on Monday but only to the Cemetery, not the Church! Found nothing although there are many unmarked graves {though I DID find MY family member I was looking for!}

Jean - Yesterday I had to go to Hastings so whilst I was there I popped into the Crematorium/Cemetery and a nice lady checked all through their burial records for the St Leonards & Hastings area but, unfortunately, didn't find her.

Not sure who would hold the records for Hellingly... suppose it might be Eastbourne?

Is there any chance that her family in Yorkshire would have had her taken back home if she had no family in this area and was unmarried?
Gorman - Ireland; South Africa
Gorman; Hudson; Moss; Lang - Lancashire
Beard; Deadman; Downer; Parris - Sussex

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 07 April 11 16:35 BST (UK) »
Think it is Wealden District Council at Crowborough

Offline bhaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 07 April 11 16:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you for trying.  The only thing I know is she was companion to a Mr Bell  in London who was a retired tree planter born in INdia. The time she was with him  spanned two census records and she  moved with him to Hailsham.  When he died she must have found work with someone else on Pevensey Rd.  Its probably a stretch to think she would be buried with him.  I suppose I could try that.   I doubt she would be transported back to Thirsk in Yorks.   I haven't been able to find her brother either who was also unmarried and died in Whalley in Lancs.  Does anyone know what happens to a person's estate, belongings etc. if they do not have family in the area.   I suppose they would have to use the train to transport the coffin all that way.   Sorry there are a lot of questions in there.  
Jean
Yorkshire: Myers, Ratcliffe, Crump, Simpson,Boocock,Varo, Gent, Winsby
<br />Co.Durham: Waiting, Steel

Offline a1emslie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 07 April 11 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi there!
I just wonder whether you might get all your answers via hospital records.
The National Archive site says that the records are at The East Sussex Records Office in Lewes
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/details.asp?id=509&hospital=east%20sussex&town=&searchdatabase.x=0&searchdatabase.y=0

The office in Lewes is     http://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/useourarchive
email     archives@eastsussex.gov.uk

She was a patient there almost certainly before she developed pneumonia....although pneumonia can cause confusion because of the lack of oxygen getting into the body.With any luck the records will state who took responsibility for the body and possibly what then happened.

If you email Lewes, It's just possible that they may be able to look it up for you!Here's hoping  ;D ;D
Jenkins-Hackney(Tottenham),Colchester,Suffolk.
Gamble,Webb,Hall-Norfolk.
Brokenshire,Burt,Mitchell,Chenoweth- Cornwall.
Percival-Northumberland.
Emslie-Aberdeen,Christie,Dempster-Cupar (Fife).
Tyler-Bristol,Adelaide.
Harris-Guernsey.