Author Topic: Help to find Michael CAHALANE/ Callahan  (Read 5858 times)

Offline Cath19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help to find Michael CAHALANE/ Callahan
« on: Sunday 03 April 11 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hi. I'd love some help to find out what happened to my grand uncle Michael Cahalane please.
Michael was born 20 Nov 1887, in Drishanebeg, Skibbereen, Co.Cork. His parents were Jeremiah Cahalane & Catherine (Kate)Collins.  His siblings were John, Patrick,Jeremiah, Cornelius, William & Kate.
He went to the USA 11th May 1911 on board the "Ivernia" to his brother Patrick. In 1914, his brother William travelled to the USA to Michael and the address at that time was 19 Largton Street, Roxbury, Ma. After that my trail runs cold. Some siblings remained "Cahalane" while two others were "Callahan" so i'm not sure which Michael was. Family history says he worked in San Francisco, as well as Boston. He was due tomeet up and travel back to Ireland with his brother Patrick around 1924, but he never showed and the mystery began. As my dad is elderly now, I would love to try and find out what happened to his uncle and give some closure to this story.
I'm attaching a photo of Michael (seated) and his younger brother William (Sgt William Callahan, 308th Infantry,Company E,77th Battalliion, died Dec 1922 and buried in New Calvary ?? Cemetery, Roxbury Ma).
Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Thanks
Cath
Cahalane,born Drishanebeg, Skibbereen , Co.Cork emigrated to Australia-changed name to Callaghan  &
USA  Callahan--name changed from Cahalane
O'Sullivan born near Loughine, Baltimore, Co.Cork
O'Connell, Ballinatona, Myross,Union Hall,
Keane/Kane, Baltimore & Castlehaven

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help to find Michael CAHALANE/ Callahan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 April 11 03:39 BST (UK) »
I was trying to look at the 1911 passenger list on a well-known website, but all I kept seeing were pages with affadavits.  I don't know if it's just me or what...

There's a Michael Cahalane on a passenger list for the SS Baltic from Queenstown to New York, arriving 11 Dec. 1921.  He was age 33, a mason, married, last residing in Midleton, Co. Cork, going to join brother John J. Cahalane at 143 Sagamore Ave., Chelsea, Mass.  Michael was born Skibbereen, Co. Cork.  His nearest relative was wife Mrs. Mary A. Cahalane, Ballinacurra, Midleton, Co. Cork.  However, it says that he was never in the US before.   ???  I don't know if you have your John's whereabouts at that time, but maybe we can rule this Michael in/out based on that or the marriage.

Offline Cath19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 April 11 22:56 BST (UK) »
John was living in Roxbury. He married there in 1913, having gone to the USA about 1908. His wife was Margaret Murphy and John died Jan 1952 and is buried in New? Calvery Cemetry, Jamaica plains, roxbury. My gut feeling on this Michael is that its not him, as I know that "my"Michael was definately in the USA in 1911 and up to 1924/1925. There were quite alot of Cahalanes here in the Cork area, and alot of them in the Skibbereen area,but not all related.
Cahalane,born Drishanebeg, Skibbereen , Co.Cork emigrated to Australia-changed name to Callaghan  &

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 April 11 00:48 BST (UK) »
Do you have any addresses where the other brothers were living in the US?

Offline Cath19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 April 11 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Shelly

When John died on 10 Feb 1952, he was living at 78-80 Warren St, Arlington, Ma. His other brother William died 11 Dec 1922. Patrick returned to Ireland. Their other brothers Jeremiah & Cornelius also lived in Ireland so Michael is the only one unaccounted for. Johns wife and family remained at that address above for many years and some are still alive but have no knowledge of Michael either.

Thanks
Cath

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 00:25 BST (UK) »
Do you have John or William on the 1920 Census?

Do you have the 1911 passenger list that Michael was on?  I'm still seeing nothing but affidavits in place of the passenger list.

Offline Cath19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 08:09 BST (UK) »
Michael travelled on the "Ivernia" from Queenstown (Cobh) on 11 May 1911.His date of birth is listed as "about 1888" but I'm certain that this is the correct Michael, even though I cant see the passenger listing either. John & William's surname changed to Callahan when they arrived in US. John married 12 Oct 1913. I didnt search the census for John or William as I felt I knew their whereabouts :(. I couldnt seem to find Michael, although I did see a Michael in Hinnepin, Minnesota but dont know how to find out if this was him or not

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 12:37 BST (UK) »
I reported the passenger list image as wrong, but when or if it will be fixed remains to be seen.  It would be helpful to see the actual passenger list.  If he ever sought naturalization in the US, there may be markings on that manifest indicating when and where.

Do you have an obituary for William?  That might indicate where Michael was in 1922.   If I were you, I would try to get a timeline of where the brothers were and when during their time in the US.   If Michael was living with/near the brothers at any time, a city directory might show him and indicate where he moved to.  Sometimes, memories fade, so there may be more information on him than his families knew.

Offline Cath19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 22:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your suggestions, I'll definately try that. William died on 11 Dec 1922. At the time he was living in 2 Marshfield St, Roxbury, with my granddad Patrick. Other than that, I dont have any more info (i think!) I think he was interred in New Calvary Cemetry, Roxbury, Ma