Author Topic: Help to find Michael CAHALANE/ Callahan  (Read 5857 times)

Offline Cath19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help to find Michael CAHALANE/ Callahan
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 January 17 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi again!

Can anyone advise me please? Is there any way of getting further information on an entry in US 1920 census, bar what was written on it. There is  a Michael Callahan, in Ward 2, Hennepin, Minnesota, who matches Michael I am searching for but I would love if there was any way of finding any further info. Maybe its wishful thinking on my behalf :) :).  Any suggestions greatly appreciated :) :) :)
Thanks,
Cath
Cahalane,born Drishanebeg, Skibbereen , Co.Cork emigrated to Australia-changed name to Callaghan  &
USA  Callahan--name changed from Cahalane
O'Sullivan born near Loughine, Baltimore, Co.Cork
O'Connell, Ballinatona, Myross,Union Hall,
Keane/Kane, Baltimore & Castlehaven

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 January 17 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Did you mean Ward 2  - can see a Michael Callahan in Ward 4 Hennepin Minnesota - born 1888 - Ireland lodger - labourer at flour mill  ??? immigrated 1911. Mother and Father born Ireland.  ???

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 January 17 15:37 GMT (UK) »
You can see the image for free here - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MWYJ-CC4

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 January 17 15:55 GMT (UK) »
There is this one - Michael Callahan - born 1888 Ireland - single - roomer - labourer street department - immigrated 1911 and naturalized - living at Seventh Avenue Brooklyn, Kings, New York.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9RCQ-FDY

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Cath19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 20 January 17 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra and Shelley,

Yes, the Minnesota one is 1920 and the Brooklyn one is 1930, both of which fit the bill for my guy! What I was trying to ascertain is there any other way of getting addition information other that what is on the census to know if I have the correct man or not :-\.  There may not be any way of finding out but I was hoping for miracles :) :) :) :) :).
Thanks
Cath
Cahalane,born Drishanebeg, Skibbereen , Co.Cork emigrated to Australia-changed name to Callaghan  &

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 20 January 17 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried searching thru WW1 drafts to see if there is any military record with his birth date ?

Sandra

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 20 January 17 16:42 GMT (UK) »
I think it might help to start back at the beginning, because I imagine there are loads of Michael Callahans of that age from Ireland. 

Where did his date of birth come from?  Did he have a middle name? 

How are you sure that the 1911 passenger list is him?  I still can't see the actual image of it, which could help.  If he was later naturalized, the passenger list may be marked in a way that could point to where he was living.

If he was alive, in the US, and not in the military already, he would have been required to fill out WWI & WWII draft registration cards.  These could help to rule the Michaels on the census in or out as your guy.

Do you have an obituaries for the other siblings?  Did his parents die in Ireland?

Offline Cath19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 22 January 17 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shelly and Sandra,

Michaels immigration year is correct at 1911, because the address he was traveling to in Boston was where his brother Pat was residing at the time. He didn't have a middle name unfortunately and they seemed to use a little poetic licence with their date of birth when immigrating ;D ;D..
His birth surname was Cahalane, but with a thick Irish accent, it seemed to transcribe to Callahan, which they didnt correct ::) ::)
Michael's brother William was in the US Army, and died at 2 Marshfield Street, Roxbury on 10 Dec 1922(he received the Distinguished Service Cross for bravery) and his brother Pat was also living there at that time. I have come across a Declaration of Intention for a Michael Callahan, born 20 February 1888 (my Michael born 30 Sept 1887), in County Cork, Ireland who travelled from Ireland on board the Ivernia on or about 13 May 1911 (My Michael travelled on Ivernia arriving 11 May 1911) ::) ::) and his address at time of declaration (26 Feb 1912) was 128 Brook Ave, Roxbury. His parents died in Ireland, but one brother John died in Arlington in 1952, the date escapes me at the moment ??? ???.  I am probably clutching at straws here, so please dont let it take up your time but I am so grateful for any direction/ suggestion you could direct me to. :) :).
Thanks again
Cath

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 22 January 17 22:35 GMT (UK) »
The original post said he was born 20 Nov. 1887 and now you said 30 Sept. 1887.  I think getting as close as you can get to an exact date would be helpful.  It's not unusual for immigrants (especially Irish ones, in my experience) to have fluctuating years of birth on later documents, but usually the date and month stay the same. 

The man who filed the declaration of intention in Massachusetts appeared to have filed a WWI draft registration card in Chicago in June, 1917.  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K6DC-S75  And he appears to be in Dorchester, Massachusetts as of the time of the WWII draft registration in 1942 - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V125-535  Whether he is your guy, I don't know.