Author Topic: William De Levante  (Read 17358 times)

Offline Delevan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: William De Levante
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello, does anyone know who Masahod Delevante's parents are from Morocco? Where in Morocco was he from? Thank you so much.

Offline Delevan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm interested in the material you've collected on this family. How can I get in touch with you.

Thank you.

Offline gezq

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 April 18 03:18 BST (UK) »
My great Grandmother was Annie Delevante born in West Ham about 1856, her father was George Delevante.  I have been searching on Ancestry.com and have found them in the 1901 census living in Morecambe with their children (one of who is my maternal grandmother).  Trying to find who Annie's mother was seems to be difficult to confirm as there are so many strings of the Delevante family.  My sister remembers an "Uncle Harry Delevante' who would have been elderly in mid 1940's. He wore a yarmulke.  Our grandmother told us that Oscar levant was a distant relative.
Can any of you shed any light on this for me?

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 April 18 05:29 BST (UK) »
The George Delevante in 1901 states he was born Norwich Norfolk, using this information

1851 census West Ham
George 29 born Norwich Norfolk
Rachel 28
George Prospero 4
Emily May 1
Ann Robinson 53, aunt.

1861 Census
 George R 39 Music Seller born Norwich Norfolk
Rachel A 38 Professor of music born St George's in the East
George P/T? 15
Emily M 11
Ann R 9  born West Ham
Edward H 6
Mary Beckett 69 mother in law
Sarah Beckett 14, niece born Stepney

1871 census Mile End Old Town Road
George 50 Piano Forte Tuner born Nowrich Norfolk
Rachel A 47  born Middlesex
George T 25 Architects Clerk
Edward H 16 cabinet maker
Mary R 13 scholar

George Delevante married Rachel Beckett 31 January 1845 St George's in the East

The only baptism I could find in Norwich for Delevate is
Rachel Riches Delvante bap 14 eptember 1823 at St George Tombland Norwich daughter of Prosper and Sarah Delvante.

Her brother George must be there somewhere, how the name was transcribed is the key. 

Offline gezq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 12 April 18 06:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. 😊

Offline cf001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 07 June 18 00:11 BST (UK) »
My interest in the Delevante surname is the line which descends from Prosper and Sarah Riches since there are 2 marriages into my Beckett family:
  • George Riches Delevante married Rachel Ann Beckett [daughter of Charles Robert Beckett] on the 2nd. February 1845 at St. George in the East, St. George.
  • James William Beckett (son of Joshua William Beckett [who was a son of Charles Robert Beckett]) married Emily Mary De Levante (daughter of George Riches Delevante) on the 23rd. November 1872 at Limehouse, St. Anne.
For user "gezq", I can provide quite a bit of information which will be of interest (I've saved images of the relevant register entries and certificates). For example:
  • George Riches Delevante was born on the 16th. January 1820 in Norwich but baptised on the 21st. June 1835 at the Episcopal Jews' Chapel (Bethnal Green) and recorded in the registers of Bethnal Green, St. Matthew in Middlesex.
  • Quite a few members of the family, even the females, are described as a "Professor of Music" in records.
  • I suspect that Prosper Delevante, the father of George Riches Delevante, was born on the 16th. July 1786 - see the baptism in the registers of Bethnal Green, St. John on the 18th. December 1842 for "Paul Prosper Delevante".
  • I know mostly who is who in the Beckett family as far back as Charles Robert Beckett - unfortunately his burial record at London, Wycliffe Independent Philpot Street chapel on the 29th. July 1827 does not give his age.

Offline gezq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 07 June 18 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi cf001,  Thanks for your info.  I am very interested in knowing more details on my ancestors.  I am compiling my family tree on Ancestry.com but the conundrum I am grappling with most is this:

My great-grandmother, Annie Delevante was married to John Hargreaves.   Her father was George Delevante. Her birthdate is 1856 in West Ham but this date does not match the age of Ann R in the 1861 census and I can't seem to find her with any parents in any other census years.

She is with her husband, children and a niece, Maxine Delevante (who I remember from my childhood)in the 1911 Census in Morecambe.  In 1901 Census they are in Lancashire and George Delevante, Annies father is there and Harry and Mary Delevante also listed as visitors.  I would welcome any more help you could offer.  Thank you,  Regards, Geraldine

Offline cf001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 10 June 18 14:27 BST (UK) »
For user "gezq", I have 2 orders for certificates in progress with the GRO and these will throw more light on Annie's parents. I should receive the second order just over a week from now.

In the meantime, the following information may be useful:
  • I'm not sure how much you know about family history, or about Ancestry's website, so I apologise if I tell you something you already know.
  • It's possible to search Ancestry's census returns by page number. To do this, you need to navigate to the search-page for (in these cases) the XXXX England Census (where XXXX is the relevant year). Note that the fields move round on the page for each year.
  • For the 1891 census, enter 3463 for the "Piece" and 96 for the "Folio". This should bring up 62 results - look for George and Rachel "Delerante".
  • For the 1881 census, enter 5141 for the "Piece", 7 for the "Folio" and 8 for the "Page Number". This should bring up 24 results and the surname is correctly indexed. [Note that the marriage of John and Annie took place in Penrith district, so the location is reasonable.]
  • For the 1871 census, enter 561 for the "Piece", 158 for the "Folio" and 42 for the "Page Number". This should bring up 24 results and the surname is correctly indexed.
  • For the 1861 census, enter 1055 for the "Piece", 18 for the "Folio" and 32 for the "Page Number". This should bring up 24 results and the surname is correctly indexed.
  • For the 1851 census, enter 1768 for the "Piece", 519 for the "Folio" and 38 for the "Page Number". This should bring up 16 results and the indexing is not very good.
  • The ages shown on census returns are often very creative, so Annie claiming to be a few years younger should come as no surprise. (I've so far transcribed 16,148 individuals in 2,996 households, so I have some experience ...)
  • Note that Maxine's birth was registered under the name Noel Maxine De Levante.
  • For the 1871 census for Ann R. De Levante, enter 561 for the "Piece", 148 for the "Folio" and 21 for the "Page Number". This should bring up 24 results and Ann is recognisable. The "Cousin" relationship comes through Nathaniel's wife Mary Ann (nee Beckett). Mary Ann was a daughter of John Waterfull Beckett (a brother of the Rachel Ann Beckett who married George Riches Delevante).

Offline gezq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 10 June 18 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Cf001.  I much appreciate your help, thank you for your reply.
I shall follow your guidance with Ancestry.com and also look forward to any further info on Annie’s parents. 
Also I was surprised to learn of Maxine’s registered birth name, great info, thanks again.