Author Topic: William De Levante  (Read 17422 times)

Offline CliftonDelevante

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William De Levante
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hello, me again.

Emily Florence, as you may know, was born February 1857 - the third daughter to William and Jane. The other two daughters are  Mary Jane (or Polly, born in 1852) and Frances Caroline (or Carrie, born August 1854). As Emily and Jane both worked closely together and with their parents, you might find the children in another family member's household on census nights. Emily and Henry's son Harry even ended up living with grandparents William and Jane Deville, and became known as Harry Deville.

Int his case, however, William and Jane are with their children in the 1861 census (now including son William) in Dalton-in-Furness - their surname is recorded as Macarte - as Valda identified in an earlier posting. I think the William and Jane you have might not be the right couple.

At the time Emily Florence was born, the Cliftons, Macarthys and Devilles were working for Joseph Henry Wolfenden who was a lessee of the Queen’s Theatre in Hull.  You probably know that in 1877 Emily Florence married Alfred Wareing.

My cousin who has done a lot of research into the Macarthy side is related to Emily Florence's older sister Mary Jane. I'm afraid I am not really at liberty to make her research public (sorry), but I will drop you a line (assuming I can contact you through RootsChat).

Erica

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Erica

Once you have made three posts you are able to send and receive personal messages.

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Regards

Valda
co-moderator London and Middlesex
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PAA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Joyce

I am the relative mentioned by Erica, a descendant of William De Levante. I have masses of info on this family. I'd be happy to get in touch with you.

Offline PAA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 May 11 17:00 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to contact Joyce by the personal message system but I'm not sure that it is working. I see that I have to have made three posts before I can use this  so here is my third post!

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 May 11 17:08 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I've only just checked messages. A PM has crossed with yours - actually, two of them have - I inadvertently sent it twice.

Joyce
Bennison, Dales, Ezard, Hodgson, Horsley, Hudson, Leng, Leppington, Marshall, Padgett, Reaston, Tate, Thorley / Thurley /Thurlow, Welbourn, Wilkinson - ERY / NRY (18th century and earlier)
Veal, Tyreman, Wetherell - NRY

Offline waterking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 19 November 11 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for this.  You've all been working a lot longer than I have on this and my in-laws will be thrilled.

My husband's ancestor is Emily Florence Macarthy and I haven't yet ordered her birth or marriage certificates. (Or for any other of his forebears, as it seemed daft to spend the money when he himself isn't that interested. I can see now I shall have to).

I've got the Macarthys in both the 1851 and 1861 censuses. In 1851, no children are mentioned.

All the best
Joyce

Im a gt-great nephew of Alfred Wareing who married Emily Florence Macarthy in 1877, and have a copy of their marriage certificate. My Dad said the theatre was in our blood and Ive always thought that they were Jewish. Incidentally the details for Alfreds father are incorrect on his marriage certificate. The Delavante connection is fascinating, I would love to know more!

Offline dimor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 June 12 16:20 BST (UK) »
Have read the William De Levante listings with interest. I'm an off branch relative of William's through his sister Emily, my ggg grandmother whom married Charles Booty. I've been able to gather some info from the postings so thank you to everyone as I've added a few more people to my tree.

These De Levante's are a wonderful lot with name changes, spelling variants and Spanish/Jewish influence.  I've just been going through 1841 - 1911 English census gathering a bit more info.

Would love some more info when anyone has some free time. 
Thanking you in advance as I would love to more on this line.

cheers
Diana

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 03 June 12 10:39 BST (UK) »
Diana
How interesting to add more to the tree.
I am not related, my husband is. And I'm afraid I haven't done much work on this family (or my own, come to that), as we've been moving house.  Plus, there are others contributing to this forum who know much more about William and his antecedents and descendants than I do. But I will, when I can, send what little I've got about this branch.
Joyce
Bennison, Dales, Ezard, Hodgson, Horsley, Hudson, Leng, Leppington, Marshall, Padgett, Reaston, Tate, Thorley / Thurley /Thurlow, Welbourn, Wilkinson - ERY / NRY (18th century and earlier)
Veal, Tyreman, Wetherell - NRY

Offline dimor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 03 June 12 10:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for reply Joyce. Every little bit of info helps.
Hoping others with posts may respond too and then I'll really be indepth.
Cheers
Diana