Author Topic: McDonell Help Please... *COMPLETED*  (Read 20412 times)

Offline djocam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McDonell Help Please... *COMPLETED*
« on: Monday 04 April 11 23:39 BST (UK) »
If anyone is able to help with this one that would be awesome.
According to an inscription here in New Zealand - Archibald McDonell died on October 8th 1848 at Fort Augustus and was interred at Glengarry.
Can someone please point me in the right direction for a cemetery in Glengarry that I might be able to find him?
We have such little info on him and no info on his linage, but he was about 56 when he died leaving his wife Annie (McRae) and 13 children who emigrated to Australia & NZ afterwards.
He apparently was born at Achluachrach (sp).
Cheers ;D

Offline luciacw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: McDonell Help Please...
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 18:21 BST (UK) »
There's an interesting entry in the Scottish Gazetteer. Apparently Glen Garry has an historic association with the McDonnells (more details http://www.scotclans.com/scottish_clans/clans/macdonnell_of_glengarry/history.html). The entry says that Glen Garry was part of Kilmonivaig parish. I suppose it's possible he might be buried in the churchyard there (although I checked on deceasedonline and doesn't seem to be any information there). Sorry I can't help more. Have you got his marriage certificate with details of parents names etc?

Lucia
Most of my family tree covers the Highlands of Scotland, London, Hertfordshire and the Midlands of England. I work as a researcher in a military archive.

Offline djocam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 21:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your help, what you say is very interesting.  No I don't have their marriage certificate, they got married on the 12 March 1816 at Glenshiel, Ross and Cromarty, I have only just found this though via Scotlands People, would the certificate have the parents on it do you know?
Cheers
Jo

Offline luciacw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 04:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your help, what you say is very interesting.  No I don't have their marriage certificate, they got married on the 12 March 1816 at Glenshiel, Ross and Cromarty, I have only just found this though via Scotlands People, would the certificate have the parents on it do you know?
Cheers
Jo

Dear Jo,
Sorry I think I misread your message. I don't think you'd be able to find out much information from the marriage entry. I'll see what I can find out. I have the same problem trying to find ancestors pre-registration.
Lucia
Most of my family tree covers the Highlands of Scotland, London, Hertfordshire and the Midlands of England. I work as a researcher in a military archive.

Offline abrach1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 October 11 13:19 BST (UK) »
There are two possible burial grounds in Glengarry where he may have been buried. One at the head of Loch Lochy (Kilfinnan) which is the burial ground of THE MacDonells of Glengarry. The other is at Munerigie just beyond Invergarry on the road to Skye - this is very close to Achluachrach.

Offline JuliaP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 November 11 07:37 GMT (UK) »
My family is buried at Munerigie as are many Catholic McDonell relatives. Unfortunately the stones which share their grounds with sheep are not in good condition

My relatives were Ewen McIsaac McDonald [a merchant and cattleman in Fort Augustus] and AnnMcDonnell who died in 1858 , aged 67 . I have a list taken in 1949 when only 8 stones were legible The surnames are Cameron, Gilles, Mc Donnell/ MacDonnell and Kennedy

On another list I saw that Archibald who was a tacksman was said to have the same parents as my Ewen, Alexander McIssac McDonald or McDonell and Mary McMillan. Is that right? My Ann' parents were Alexander McDonell and Catherine McDonald . Ewen was born in Glengarry and Ann in Boleskine.

After Ewen's death in the early 1860's  my immediate relatives left for Australia

Julia
New Zealand

Offline abrach1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 November 11 17:17 GMT (UK) »
I was in Munerigie a few years ago but there didn't appear to be any of my MacDonells or Kennedys there. My lot are in Kilfinnan burial ground at the Invergarry end of Loch Lochy - very few old headstones. I have two lots of MacDonells - one lot from Glenmoriston who came to Greenfield - married into Kennedys and more MacDonells (Father Roderick Andrew's lot) and my second lot who were at Mandally and Balmaglaster but they couldn't make up their minds if they were from Boleskine or Glenelg!!!! One of my Kennedy lot went to Stratherrick and married into more MacDonells. All terribly confusing, but sorry, don't know anything about your ones.

Abrach1

Offline djocam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 December 11 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your replies, I have now found where was buried (Kilfinnan).

abrach1 - From letters the family have here in NZ from Father Roderick Andrew McDonell ,it would seem there is a family connection.  He states in a letter in 1899 that his grandmother and Archie's wife (Annie McRae) were 1st cousins.  Do you know the name of his Grandmother?  I know his grandfather was Ronald MacDonell.

JuliaP - We think that Archibald McDonell's parents were Alisdair (or Alexander or Angus) McDonell and Christy McDonell.  Archibald was the tacksman of 2 farms - Auchlaucrach (sp) and Kinlochunagan, around Fort Augustus.
I would be interested to learn what list you are refering to?
Cheers
Jo

Offline JuliaP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 January 12 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I've only recently started using this site again

The list I was referring to is one made by an Englishman of the gravestones that were still legible at Munerigie just before the hydro scheme flooded part of the area. Yes there are McDonell/McDonnell nameslisted

Sara Macdonnell married to Donald Gilles died 14 Jan 1916 aged 95 and her son Alsdair died Jan 18 1919 aged 55

Christine McDonnell died at Leek Sept 1902 , her sister Helen , her nephew Donal Gamekeeper , Aberchalder died 1908 ged 62
Ewan Mc Donald [ my relative] merchant of fort Augustus and his wife Ann McDonnell died 1858 aged 67

Donald McDonell 1822

John McDonnell son of Donal Bhan McDonnell, Old Ground Invergarry died 13 February 1880 and Jane Kennedy his wife

I have a lot of details on these people as I thought there must be some links with my own family