Author Topic: McDonell Help Please... *COMPLETED*  (Read 20371 times)

Offline gazzamacca

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McDonell Help Please...
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 May 12 07:45 BST (UK) »
Howdy djocam,  you mentioned Kinlochuanagan, thats where my lot came from, they left in 1838 for Australia,
I believe the Robertson's owned the inn at the head of loch uanagan and as my John MacDonell married Ann MacDonald, a grand daughter of the Robertsons, i believe he got an overseer job at the inn.
My Macs are buried at Auchterawe  RC.   Our Ann was church of Scotland.
I am sure we are all attached somewere along that large family tree, what you reckon  Julia
macca
macdonell  macdonald  kennedy  robertson  mcinnes mcleod
Fort Augustus Spean Bridge Tirnadrish  Skye

Offline djocam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 07:50 BST (UK) »
Howdy djocam,  you mentioned Kinlochuanagan, thats where my lot came from, they left in 1838 for Australia,
I believe the Robertson's owned the inn at the head of loch uanagan and as my John MacDonell married Ann MacDonald, a grand daughter of the Robertsons, i believe he got an overseer job at the inn.
My Macs are buried at Auchterawe  RC.   Our Ann was church of Scotland.
I am sure we are all attached somewere along that large family tree, what you reckon  Julia
macca

Hi Julia,
Sorry I have only just read your post, there may well be a connection, Archibalds and Annie's oldest child James McDonell also immigrated in 1838, onboard the "Asia".  Also onboard were his Uncle Donald McRae and his family.  And further investigating has found family connections with several other of the McDonell's onboard.
We do know that Archibald had at least one brother, Alaistair (Alexander), who we think may have died in about 1846, but some of his children went to Australia. 

Jo

Offline irma2

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 June 12 04:11 BST (UK) »
hi there djocam, am also in New Zealand and related to the Macdonell's and Macdonald's through my grandparents.  Your query regarding the maiden name of Ronald Macdonell's wife Margaret, if its our line, her maiden name was Macrae.  Their children were Alasdair, Catherine, Ian, and Duncan.  Ian was my great granfather.  If it is the line and you have more information on my relatives, I would like to hear from you.  cheers. 

Offline amh155

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 May 14 07:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Gazza,

I may have contacted you in the past about the McDonell's but I just noticed your post about the Robertsons at Kinlochuanagan. I've just returned from Scotland and chanced on a headstone in Kilchuimen Cemetery in Fort Augustus. It says

Erected to the memory of Alexander Robinson, Innkeeper Kenlochuanagan, who departed this life 30 March 1828, aged ?? years (could be 36, 56 (most likely) or 86, very worn). Maybe this is a help.

AMH

Offline gazzamacca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 03:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gazza,

I may have contacted you in the past about the McDonell's but I just noticed your post about the Robertsons at Kinlochuanagan. I've just returned from Scotland and chanced on a headstone in Kilchuimen Cemetery in Fort Augustus. It says

Erected to the memory of Alexander Robinson, Innkeeper Kenlochuanagan, who departed this life 30 March 1828, aged ?? years (could be 36, 56 (most likely) or 86, very worn). Maybe this is a help.

AMH

Hello AMH
Sorry for not getting back here for so long a time.
My wife and I were in Scotland in June and spent some time at FortAugustus and Lochuanagan.
Took a photo of Alexander's headstone as well.
Had a long chat with George Findlayson and his mum, lovely people, wonderfull place.
We could sell up and move to Fort Augustus we loved it so much.
It seems we are all related in a round about way some time back in the 1700s.
The global family is getting larger and closer all the time.
macca
macdonell  macdonald  kennedy  robertson  mcinnes mcleod
Fort Augustus Spean Bridge Tirnadrish  Skye

Offline JuliaP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: McDonell Help Please... *COMPLETED*
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 November 14 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry I've taken so long but I've been visiting Europe ,though more Belgium , to commemorate our grandfather's death 100 years ago in WW1 in Ypres.

Just to say my eldest son and I visited and stayed overnight just under 3 years ago at Kinlochuanagan, a great B and B.

Ours are buried at Munerigie but I'm sure we are all related

Julia
New Zealand

Offline Ann1eg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 06:39 BST (UK) »
The previous messages are an absolute bonus.  I too am I descendant of Archibald McDonnell, my GtGt grandmother was Margaret McDonnell a daughter who later married James Campbell in New Zealand.

Anne
Tasman, NZ

Offline amh155

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 July 15 08:28 BST (UK) »
Just a bit about a burial at Munerigie.

I downloaded a certificate from Scotland's People of a Janet McDonald (not the Janet I was looking for, but thought the information may help someone)

Janet McDonald, widow of a crofter (she married a McDonell)
died 2 November 1859 at 10am age 92 at Letterfearn, Glengarry from natural decay
Parents: Allan McDonald & Ann nee McDonald
Informant: John Scott, son-in-law, present
Buried: Munerigie.

I have a few details about the family.
John Scott was married to Isabella McDonell 24 May 1823. He was the son of James Scott & Janet Wilson and he died 13 July 1866 age 80 at Letterfearn. Isabella died 18 March 1873 age 80 at Letterfearn. Both are buried in Kilfinnan Burial Ground.

AMH

Offline JuliaP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 14 October 16 08:43 BST (UK) »
Jo I keep looking at your list of names and I'm really conscious that Alisdair is another name for Alexander and Christy for Catherine, the names of my Annie or Ann McDonell born in Boleskine circa 1795 near Fort Augustus .She died in 1855. Her surviving brother Alexander , a butcher died a little later. The dates and the places match up and the fact that migration was to Australia.

Julia
New Zealand