Author Topic: McDonell Help Please... *COMPLETED*  (Read 20405 times)

Offline djocam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McDonell Help Please... *COMPLETED*
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 22:58 BST (UK) »
Jo I keep looking at your list of names and I'm really conscious that Alisdair is another name for Alexander and Christy for Catherine, the names of my Annie or Ann McDonell born in Boleskine circa 1795 near Fort Augustus .She died in 1855. Her surviving brother Alexander , a butcher died a little later. The dates and the places match up and the fact that migration was to Australia.

Julia
New Zealand

Hi Julia
Our Macdonell family is the same as Gail Cawkwell's, she is a 4th cousin to my husband Dean. Did she get around to asking if you want to take an atDNA (autosomal) test?   
It might help as we have at least 11 descendants of Archie and Annie tested now so if you are related should show to one of them. 

Cheers
Jo

Offline JuliaP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 23:25 BST (UK) »
How do I go about getting the test done? I thought it was better for the male lime. My mother was the McDonell / MacDonald

Kind regards
Julia

Offline djocam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 23:50 BST (UK) »
How do I go about getting the test done? I thought it was better for the male lime. My mother was the McDonell / MacDonald

Kind regards
Julia

The male test is of the Y chromosome which of course only men have, which is passed down from father to son etc. so gives a wonderful unbroken(unless there was an NPE or adoption)  DNA line.
However the atDNA (autosomal) test is for both men and women.  It will give you your cousins from both your mother and father's families (it won't tell you which).  atDNA is harder to interpret as it goes something like this: you get roughly 50% atDNA from your father and 50% from your mother, and you get a recombination of both sides.  So kind of like putting it into a blender and you get what you get, for example one sibling might get more of one side than the other.   
It will show very well up to say 3rd cousins, and after that it can be a bit of a lottery.  I can go into more in depth detail but best to email you that.  If you want, personal message me through rootschat or email Gail to pass on my email.  The company we all have used is Family Tree DNA (ftDNA).  I can probably tell you more in an email...Jo

Offline gabbi67

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 31 March 18 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I just found this post.  Archibald and Annie (nee McCrae) McDonnell are my great great grandparents.  Their daughter Johanna (emigrated to Australia) is my great grandmother.  I can't answer your question unfortunately but just thought it would be nice to reach out.

Regards
Gabrielle

Offline Peter MacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 20 September 18 01:59 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I just found this post.  Archibald and Annie (nee McCrae) McDonnell are my great great grandparents.  Their daughter Johanna (emigrated to Australia) is my great grandmother.  I can't answer your question unfortunately but just thought it would be nice to reach out.

Regards
Gabrielle

Hello Gabrielle,

Just wondering if you have or know if someone tested one of the direct paternal descendants of Archibald McDonnell?

Interested to hear either way.

Peter MacDonald (Canada)

Offline djocam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 20 September 18 05:25 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Regards
Gabrielle

Hello Gabrielle,

Just wondering if you have or know if someone tested one of the direct paternal descendants of Archibald McDonnell?

Peter MacDonald (Canada)
Peter MacDonald the answer to that question is yes, we have had a direct male descendant of Archie tested (Big Y-500).  Clan Donald Code &XEHTY,  in the group of descendants of Donald MacDonald, 2nd of Glengarry.
Jo

Offline Invergarry

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: McDonell Help Please...
« Reply #24 on: Monday 24 September 18 09:23 BST (UK) »
Howdy djocam,  you mentioned Kinlochuanagan, thats where my lot came from, they left in 1838 for Australia,
I believe the Robertson's owned the inn at the head of loch uanagan and as my John MacDonell married Ann MacDonald, a grand daughter of the Robertsons, i believe he got an overseer job at the inn.
My Macs are buried at Auchterawe  RC.   Our Ann was church of Scotland.
I am sure we are all attached somewere along that large family tree, what you reckon  Julia
macca

Hi there,

I just discovered this post and I was wondering if you possibly had a date of birth for your John MacDonell as it is possible he might be connected to my great, great, great, great grandfather Duncan MacDonell. Duncan's father was John MacDonell and we think his mother was Anne MacDonald.

cheers!

Fox

Offline Peter MacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 30 September 18 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Regards
Gabrielle

Hello Gabrielle,

Peter MacDonald (Canada)
Peter MacDonald the answer to that question is yes, we have had a direct male descendant of Archie tested (Big Y-500).  Clan Donald Code &XEHTY,  in the group of descendants of Donald MacDonald, 2nd of Glengarry.
Jo

Jo,

Thank you for your reply and answer.  Always on the look out for possible matches.

All the best.

Peter