Author Topic: Meyricks in Presteigne, 1760 onwards  (Read 11530 times)

Offline meyrickstephens

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Meyricks in Presteigne, 1760 onwards
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 February 18 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Re Peter Puget was in Presteigne researching on the ground. Blue plaque in broad street right next to where meyricks lived.. He was famous Rear Admiral Sir Peter Puget (1765-1822). Had many daughters so maybe a meyrick male married one. I also have a painting of thomas king meyrick plus a book of a famous local painter who painted edward meyrick images of them in the book. I dont think thomas was born in 1760 I think marriage to Mary King

Offline kbennett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Meyricks in Presteigne, 1760 onwards
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bernard

Thanks for the update :)
I believe Peter PUGET was living in Presteigne for a time, and suspect that Thomas King MEYRICK was friends or similar with him, and named his son after him for that reason. I have done quite a bit of research on trying to find any connection between the families in terms of marriage etc, and there doesn't appear to be any, other than them both being relatively similar in age and living in the same small town at the same town!

I have the death certificate for Thomas King MEYRICK - he was born about 1763 (christened 10 May 1763) and died 19 Dec 1845, his wife was Cassandra STANTON born about 1767 and died 2 Apr 1840. Thomas King MEYRICK's parents were John MEYRICK (1732 - 1796) and Margaret KING (1729 - 1766) so I think that is the origin of King has his middle name :)

I managed to get hold of a couple of books written by Margaret Newman Turner who is a descendent of Thomas & Cassandra's son Edward Stanton MEYRICK. One includes a photo of grandparents and the other book (on Joseph Murray Ince) includes a picture / painting of Thomas King MEYRICK plus his son Edward. There is also a picture of Robert LEWIS (whose wife was Ann Harriet STANTON - a sister of Cassandra). Robert's brother Thomas LEWIS also married Elizabeth MEYRICK (a daughter of Thomas King & Cassandra MEYRICK - so a lot of connections between the families).

Have you got a family tree at all? I would be keen to compare if you were interested?

Cheers,
Kathryn
Bennett (NZ/Aust), Corner, Baker, Reveley (all Yorkshire), Barker (Durham), Meyrick (Radnorshire/Herefordshire & London), Cawston, Clark, Coulsell (Surrey), Berridge, Dixon, Redpath, Duke, Dailey, Davis, Lawrence, Martin.