Author Topic: Henry Ripszam of Ockley Surrey  (Read 15460 times)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Henry Ripszam of Ockley Surrey
« on: Tuesday 05 April 11 17:00 BST (UK) »
Ripszam Henrik was born in Hungary on 1 Feb 1889. 
He became a famous sculptor and Orienteer and married Mary L Keay in London in 1932. 
His final years were spent in Ockley Surrey and I have it from Wikipedia that his ashes were buried (not scattered) in December 1976 in the cemetery Oakwood Hill Church. 

A Briony Thomas wrote about him in the Oakwood Parish Magazine in January 1977 so I would be very interested to know what that article contained.  A bonus would be if anyone has any further information on him, where he lived, or knowledge of any descendants that are still around.  Roy G

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Ripzsam of Ockley Surrey
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 17:08 BST (UK) »
or knowledge of any descendants that are still around.

Mary died 1968 in Surrey aged 74

They are both shown arriving in Liverpool from Bombay on 31.5.1939 - Henrik 50 occ artist  and Mary L 45

Address shown as Hazels, Wallis Wood, Ockley, Surrey

No children with them and given Mary's age at that time - doubtful they had any
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Ripszam of Ockley Surrey
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 08:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that CW.  The age of Mary and year of her death adds another couple of pieces to the jigsaw. 
I understand that every year the village has a flower show and a race in his name and makes an award, but little else is known about him, other than he represented Hungary in the 1912 Olympics.  Topical thought, given that it's the centenary of that event next year.   Roy G

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 06:02 BST (UK) »
CaroleW: (or anyone else)

Could I ask another favour regarding a childless Henry & Mary Ripszam arriving in Liverpool from Bombay on 31.5.1939.
A recently translated letter of Henry's suggests that although they had no children, Mary had two sons from a previous relationship.  I know nothing about them, no first or second names, only that in 1939, they would have been of college or university age (late teens or early 20s). 

I am therefore hoping that these two accompanied Henry and Mary back from Bombay and the passenger list you obtained the information from is not alphabetical so that their names precede or follow Henry & Mary's.  The only other information I can offer is that their surnames COULD BE any of the following.  Keay(s), Whitehouse, Hagan, Rutter, or Jacobs. 

The chance that all four of them were together is very remote I know, but I'm at that clutching at straws stage.   Roy G

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 12:51 BST (UK) »
The page on which their entry appears shows only 2 other entries of persons in their 20's - both were female employees of the Bank of New South Wales in Berkeley Square.  All others were in their 30's and upwards.  The page is not in alphabetical order

I have searched the incoming lists under all names given above and none match an arrival date of 31.5.1939
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 13:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks anyway, hope you didnt mind looking.  (What was the name of the ship by the way?)  Roy G

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 13:10 BST (UK) »
The Samaria - Anchor Line - Official Number: 165934

Offline Dave Jones

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 April 11 14:11 BST (UK) »
The Times 11th August 1932
Mr H. Ripszam and Miss M.L .Keay
   The marriage arranged between Mr. Henrik Ripzam of Budapest, member of the Hungarian Salon, and Miss Mary Lillian Keay, younger daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. E.C. Keay, of Edgbaston, will take place quietly in London, on August 25.

The Times 5th March 1968
Memorial Services
A memorial service for Mrs. Mary Lilian Ripszam will be held on Saturday March 9th at St George’s Church, Oakwood Hill, Ockley, Surrey.

The Times 4th December 1976
Deaths
Ripszam – On December 2nd 1976, peacefully at his home, The Hazels, Wallis Wood, Henrik in his 88th year, Service December 16th at Oakwood Hill Church near Dorking.

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 April 11 07:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dave Jones,
Those three entries from the Times convert supposition into fact.  Next step which may also be in the Times, is to find whether Mary Liliian Keay was actually a single woman, widow or a divorcee who had reverted to her maiden name.  (I think she brought two children into the marriage)  Would the Times have record of an earlier marriage or a divorce, for the late Ernest Charles Keay (died 1932) was a major industrialist and the family were well placed financially? 
Note Mary was born 1894, so could have married from about 1914 onwards.  My suspicions fall on a Walter Hagan but I have no proof that that was her marriage and it ended,
Roy G