Author Topic: Henry Ripszam of Ockley Surrey  (Read 15470 times)

Offline IrkutskLena

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Ripszam of Ockley Surrey
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 11 March 17 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello! Thank you very much for your rapid response!
I literally discovered Ripszám's name today as I was going through Hungarian exhibition material from the early 1920ies, so I haven't even had the chance to look him up in Hungarian art dictionaries.
I must admit that I am not even familiar with the Red Cross website providing any information on single POWs. I usually work with the POW catalogues of their home countries.

Indeed it was very common for the representatives of various relief agencies to buy POW art, sometimes for their private collections, and sometimes for their institutions. I have the impression that the artists in Russian captivity functioned just like elsewhere, that is some supported each other and organized exhibitions together, while disregarding others for their "lack of talent" or professionalism. There were those that were happy to make money producing applied artwork, while others were purists and insisted on creating only "pure" art, even if that meant foregoing the possibility to make a living. In any case it is very different from what you expect to have happened in a prisoner of war camp.

Offline gerrydmartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 24 May 18 16:17 BST (UK) »
Afternoon.
I was wondering if you can help. I understand that Mr Henry Ripszam bequeathed some land around his house in Ockley when he passed away to the Wildlife Trust. The Wildlife Trust have today submitted a planning application to turn this into a camp site. Surely this is not what Mr Ripszam would have wanted. In previous messages I have seen a reference to his will. Would I be able to check this and see if their were any conditions? I look forward to hearing from you and thank you for your assistance. Many thanks. Kind regards Gerry (a neighbour of The Hazels where Mr Ripszam used to live.)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 24 May 18 17:11 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, gerrydmartin.

You can order a copy of the will online - it will cost you Ł10.  Probate was granted in 1976.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#calendar
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 24 May 18 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerry,

Thank you for your message and the information about recent developments relating to the former home of Henry Ripszam.

I think I am going to sit on the fence with my own answer, for I have deduced that Henry and his wife Molly loved gardens and open spaces, and as former Olympian himself, Henry was also keen on young people enjoying the countryside and participating in sport.   As you may recall, the couple left cups bearing their names to be presented annually at the local flower show and running race.  What may be less known is that in his past life in your locality, Henry fostered both the local football and (surprisingly for a Hungarian) the local cricket teams.  So whether the couple even considered that their former home with its beautiful gardens would become a guesthouse, or the land around it could be put to the use that undoubtedly concerns you is a matter of conjecture.

Yes I do have copies of Henry's and I think Molly's wills somewhere, but have admit it is a long time since I looked at either of them.  I will endeavor to find them and look at the wording of the bequest, but from what I recall, that aspect was brief and not very informative.  The land was just given to the Trust without conditions to do as they thought best.

Regards Roy G

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 24 May 18 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hello again
I have now found the only copy I have which is a codicil to Henry's main will. 
There are no restrictions placed on the land or its usage.  The text is as follows.

I devise and bequeath to the Surrey Naturalists Trust Ltd whose registered offices are at Juniper Hall Field Centre Dorking in the county of Surrey, all that piece or parcel of land surrounding the Studio at Hazals Wallis Wood Ockley aforesaid as the same is for identification purposes only coloured green on the plan attached to a deed of gift dated 27 February 1974 and made between myself on the one part and The Surrey Naturalists Trust of the other part.

There was no map attached to my copy of the will, so you may wish to follow up that particular aspect with The Trust themselves.

Roy G

Offline gerrydmartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 25 May 18 10:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roy for your emails, which are greatly appreciated. Kind regards

Gerry

Offline Lifeisnotmonochrome

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 19 June 21 17:29 BST (UK) »
Can Anyone point me in the direction of any details of this artist sculptors work please. I have discovered I am the owner of one of his pieces and looking for information