Author Topic: Henry Ripszam of Ockley Surrey  (Read 15434 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Ripszam of Ockley Surrey
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 April 11 14:12 BST (UK) »
Next step which may also be in the Times, is to find whether Mary Liliian Keay was actually a single woman, widow or a divorcee who had reverted to her maiden name.

A copy of the 1932 marriage cert would not only give you that info but would also give her fathers name and occupation which gives you her birth surname and possibly enables you to find her in 1901 and 1911
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 April 11 16:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks CarolW
I do have that info, well all except the 1911 census when I presume she was at finishing school abroard.  What I am trying to sort out is when she married Henry at the age of 39, was she still a miss as The Times writes, but with two teenage sons?
 Logic suggests she got divorced and reverted to her maiden name.  The kids probably hardly ever saw their mother anyway for they too would have also been educated at private residential schools.  Perhaps the answer may be in a Birmingham electoral Roll or her father's will (in 1932 he left Ł400,000)
Roy G

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 April 11 16:33 BST (UK) »
Presume this is her birth reg?

Births September qtr 1893 
Mary Lilian Keay    Kings Norton  6c 423

If you are using the 1914 marriage on freebmd to Walter Hagan to guess at a possible marriage - www.staffordshirebmd.org.uk show her as Mary Louisa Keay

but with two teenage sons.

If you know she had 2 sons - you presumably know their names and birthyears so have you checked freebmd for their birth registrations to see what surname they were registered under?  Births from the September qtr 1911 show mothers maiden name against the entry

Logic suggests she got divorced and reverted to her maiden name.

She may well have done - but it is also possible that both sons were illegitimate
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 April 11 20:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Carol, I had the birth but had not spotted that one marriage was for a Mary Lilian the other to a Louise.  As for her sons, I have no names, ages or anything. All I have is a copy of a letter from their stepfather dated 1937 saying in Hungarian .he was not going to send their sons abroad to study his language with the Nazis so close   He stated one wants to be doctor the other a diplomat. 
Have nevertheless checked Freebmd for possible base borns but due to the family background am sceptical of those that do occur in the area. She being a wealthy divorcee seems the most plausible solution   Roy G

Offline Dave Jones

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 April 11 11:57 BST (UK) »
Perhaps the wills of the Ripszams would give you the answer.
You would expect at least one to mention any children.

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 24 April 11 16:56 BST (UK) »
Now waiting for copies of the wills  Roy G

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 28 April 11 14:46 BST (UK) »
To Dave Jones.
I hope you dont mind Dave, but I am seeking a little verification on the following piece from The Times 5th March 1968.
Memorial Services
A memorial service for Mrs. Mary Lilian Ripszam will be held on Saturday March 9th at St George’s Church, Oakwood Hill, Ockley, Surrey
I am advised by the parish Archivist that the church is St John The Baptist, so just wanted to check whether The Times had printed the incorrect saint, or there was a momentary loss of concentration on your part.    Roy G

Offline csaba

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 03 September 11 01:08 BST (UK) »
This is Csaba from Hungary. I wanted to know my anchestors better, so I searched the Internet tonight. I hoped I would find some hungarian data, but fortunatelly I found this forum.

My grandmother was called Ripszám Klára. She was born in Bóly, Hungary. Just like Ripszám Henrik. Ripszám Henrik must be a relative of mine!

Ripszám Henrik, or Henry Ripszam was born in Bóly in 1889. He became an artist and orienteer. Hungarian champion in 1911, and athlete of the Stockholm Olimpic Games. He left Hungary in 1926, and went to England.

My grandmother's father (my great-grandfather) was called Ripszám Nándor. He also lived in Bóly. My father told me, Nándor visited somebody in England in the '30s, or the '40s. But he didn't know, who was visited, or why my great-grandfather travelled to England that time. This was a poor family, so my great-grandfater was no turist, for sure.

My great-grandfather died in the '70s, so the story had been forgotten in my family.

When my grandmother died, I found two porcelain cups in her house. They were english made cups, from the 1910s. My father told me, my great-grandfather brought them from England.

I think, Ripszám Henrik and Ripszám Nándor were brothers. So Ripszám Henrik was my grandmother's uncle. I will make it clear.

If somebody knows anything about his English life, please inform me. If somebody has a photo, I will be glad, if I can take a look on it. I would like to visit his house and his tomb.

Thank You

Csaba
Hungary

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 03 September 11 05:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Csaba,
I live in Hungary too and conducted the research on Henry Ripszam on behalf of the Hungarian Orienteering Association.  I have a lot of info on Henry, including pictures of him, his work and his grave, and know of his 3 sisters, brother Josef, but nothing on a brother or cousin Nandor, so I would be interested in comparing notes with you. 

For example, I have Henry's grandfather and his aunts and uncles
Grandfather      Lucas Riepszam    Grandmother:  Barbara Kaeszdorf
Their children:   
Johanes 1860, Henricus 1864 (Henry's father), Josef 1868, Katalin 1870, Adam 1873, Borbala 1875.
With 4 uncles, probability suggests your Nandor Ripszam was Henry's cousin.

I have sent you a personal message with my Hungarian e-mail address so we can discuss things off list.
Roy G (Budapest)