Author Topic: Henry Ripszam of Ockley Surrey  (Read 15432 times)

Offline Ripszi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Ripszam of Ockley Surrey
« Reply #18 on: Monday 12 September 11 14:47 BST (UK) »
Csaba
Érdemes lenne összevetni a kutatásainkat, amit eddíg sikerült Hanrikről kiderítenem azokat már feltettem a wikipediára, még nem jöttem rá hol csatlakozik a mi családunkhoz. Gyerekkoromban emlegették mint távoli rokont, de még hiányzik 1 láncszem. Ezek szerint valahol összeérnek a gyökereink.
Az Ancestry-n és a MyHeritage-n is fent van már a fa, de nem publikus, mai címre tudok küldeni betekintést ha érdekel.
gmailra is írhatsz
Üdv Ripszi

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 September 11 15:53 BST (UK) »
Dear All,
It looks as though I have found another Hungarian Ripszam researcher who has his family tree but cannot see how it links to the sculptor/athlete Henry Ripszam who came to England in 1926.  I have sent a personal message to him in Hungarian off list so that we can swap info, and am hoping his information ties into the family I have documented from Henry's Grandfather Lucas (born c1820) to the present day.  They were Catholics from the region around Pecs and the family spread is quite extensive.

Looking forward to hearing from you Ripszi
Roy G

Offline Ripszi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 12 September 11 17:12 BST (UK) »
Megkaptam a személyes üzenetet de sajnos nem találtam rá a válasz gombra ezért újra itt írok.
Gmail-en könnyebb lenne, ugyan ez a név csupa kisbetüvel.
Szívesen megosztom és cserélem az infokat. Apám mindkét felmenő ágán Ripszám és Riepsam név is előfordul, eddig legkorábbi Anna Ripszam ~1837, apja Johann Riepsam valószínű a Henrik felé vezető ág.
Bonyolult inkább megmutatnám a fát- ;)
Üdv Ripszi

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 12 September 11 17:34 BST (UK) »
Ripszi
Sorry, but this site has a moderator that reads every message in order to ensure we do not infringe any of the UK privacy laws or pass e-mail addresses in an open forum.  I can see that you have not infringed those laws, but as it is unfair to discuss research in a foreign language, I shall be getting in touch with you direct.   Roy G

Offline B and S B

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 01 June 13 19:08 BST (UK) »
Dear Roy G
I know I am being a little bit hopeful as it is some 18months since this topic has been active but in the course of  doing some research I have just come across this exchange of information.
I have a couple of small pieces of figurative sculpture by Riszam and I am trying to discover if there are other examples about, or even photographs of other examples.
Do you by any chance have any pieces or know the whereabouts of any examples.
My pieces are both signed and dated 1958 so the were done fairly late in his life ( at 69years old I think) so were presumably presumably done when he lived in Ockley.
Any sort of information regarding the artistic side of his life would be most welcome.
Best regards
B and S B
I am situated not too far from Ockley. About 20 miles away and if there is any information or records available to the public in that area I would be happy to travel to see it.

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 01 June 13 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi B & SB.
I thought the Rippi topic was done and dusted, just shows, you never can tell. 

It's great to hear of people in the UK that still have some of Rippi's sculptures, most were either lost or not appreciated for what they were, although a few have found their way into UK and Hungarian State collections.  In the early 1970s, a major Budapest art gallery even held an exhibition of his work, and they recently let me copy of some of the artifacts shown in the programe published at the time. 

I don't have any sculptures myself, I was just helping someone out here in Hungary unravel the life history of the man who is credited as having introduced the sport of orienteering into the country after participating in it in Scandinavia.  What I do have is a book of his sketches of significant Russians that he drew whilst in captivity.  The former Communist leadership banned that book soon after its publication, but I did manage to get a copy post 1990 when collections from their own archives were up for grabs. 

His life story is most intriguing. Born in the rural south, studied at various art colleges, designed houses, became an Olympic athlete (1912), conscripted into WW1, captured Poland 1915, held prisoner in a Siberian labour camp, and on his release became a poster designer, cartographer, artist, sculptor, and a conservationist.  He eventually married the daughter of a bridge designer and manufacturer from the Birmingham area whose father's firm (I presume) may have had a hand in casting his bronzes.  His ashes were placed by the wall of Ockley church, but the bronze motive he designed to go over the spot, has been 'removed' by a less scrupulous member of the public. Hopefully they were impoverished appreciators of his technique rather than just seeking its value as scrap metal.

I will try to send you a personal message so we can chat off line and hopefully, in exchange for some further illustrations of his other work and details of his general artistic background, you will kindly let me have copy pictures of the two artifacts you have obtained.  They may even appear in a some post WW2 photos I have of him in his studio surrounded by his work.

Yours Roy G

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 05:44 BST (UK) »
Brian:  Thank you for your off list response.  I have sent a couple of messages direct to your home e-mail address, but if you have not received these, check your virus vault.  There have been occasions where messages from former Eastern Europe which contain funny accents in the provider's supporting text, have been treated with suspicion by the recipient's computer and for safety's sake, they have been sidelined.  Regards, Roy G 

Offline IrkutskLena

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 11 March 17 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Roy, hi! I just came across your posts about Henrik Ripszám and am now hoping to be able to get in touch with you. I am interested in Ripszám in the framework of my PhD, in which I am researching painters who were war prisoners in Siberia during WWI. I have been on the topic for a while, but have only recently started to do more in-depth research on the Hungarians, seen as I only just about now have worked up the language skills.
So far, I know very little about his time in Siberia apart from a 1923 exhibition catalogue. Especially seen as you mentioned you had a sketchbook of his  that he drew whilst in captivity I would be really happy to get in touch and find out more! Here's hoping for the best..

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 11 March 17 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi IrkutskLena
I have sent you a personal message with my e-mail address so that we can converse more conveniently.

We are fortunate that a Hungarian writer colleague of Henry's was also imprisoned with him so we have quite a detailed description of his journey to Siberia and the time he spent incarcerated. 
Have you also looked at his prison details on the WW1 Red Cross website?

What I found most fascinating was that when Swiss agents from the Red Cross made prison visits they purchased trench art from the captives.  As he was both a sculptor and artist, Henry sold many artifacts and in doing so, incurred the wrath of his compatriots whose less talented work was rejected.   
Roy G